Country
    Singapore

Excavating Huge Echin issues

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Folks,
    I have a huge Echin major in my 4 footer, due to the 'winds of change' I've decided to remove this monstrosity from my tank. This plant is like (H)2 1/2 foot and span 2 feet. I read some of you guys cut the roots to remove it. Can you guys share some of your experiences on the removal and will cutting the roots harm it? Before I turn my tank into 'Hiroshima'.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I suggest you drain as much water as possible. then get ready a good shear, and as you try to lift the plant you cut around the base in the gravel. you will have to leave the roots behind, just lift the leaf base where the growing apex is. then cover the hole with new gravel.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    your plant could probably spread its root system through out the entire tank, so removing it will be rather time consuming. Easier way is to dig out as much roots possible and cut. the rest have to be removed indivdually ;P.. enjoy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I did this before! The roots were almost as long as the plant itself! Feels like uprooting a tree...
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It was "hiroshima" when I removed my Echinodorus ozelot from my tank. A major disaster that I'm still recovering from after years.....

Tip. After cutting around the plant, turn the plant a few rounds, cut around the plants again, then attempt to pull out. Immediate water change there after to tackle the leeching base fertiliser. Expect algae bloom shortly after if not managed properly.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Mike.. take a scissors.. then dig it into the substrate around the plant.. say..2-3 cm away then begin to cut at the substrate like how a "muah Chee" seller would. Go in a circumference all around the plant..then repeat about 3-4 times. After that..uproot slowly..shaking and watching top soil movement.. once the top portion of the base is up you can just cut away all remaining roots.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can cut like the others suggested.
    Or turn the plant round and round like you would when eating sphagetti. This will gather the roots at the crown of the plant. Can use forceps/scissors etc to help. Then pull out. Damage will be limited to small area.
    Doesn't work if the Echi have long long rizhome though.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you gentlemen for all your words of wisdom, I have decided to put off project, Tora, Tora, Tora after the new year. But I still foresee hiroshima because yesterday I pull a little, my huge 2 feet drift wood also moved. Which means the root of evil runs deep. Btw, anyone care to adopt a Echin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by michael lai
    Thank you gentlemen for all your words of wisdom, I have decided to put off project, Tora, Tora, Tora after the new year. But I still foresee hiroshima because yesterday I pull a little, my huge 2 feet drift wood also moved. Which means the root of evil runs deep. Btw, anyone care to adopt a Echin
    Hey michael what kind enchinodorus is it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    its a monster!!!!!!!!lol...but a REALLY nice one..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    Mike.. take a scissors.. then dig it into the substrate around the plant.. say..2-3 cm away then begin to cut at the substrate like how a "muah Chee" seller would. Go in a circumference all around the plant..then repeat about 3-4 times. After that..uproot slowly..shaking and watching top soil movement.. once the top portion of the base is up you can just cut away all remaining roots.
    I tried something like that. But did not cut the roots first. I used my fingers to break the roots as I go round the circumference. The leftover roots I leave it in the substrate as nutrients for new plants.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear CCS,
    It's a Echin. Major.