Country
    Singapore

Gobies thread

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi hi...

I just managed to obtain some neon gobies. Any ideas what they would eat?

Oh, I was thinking of adding some fish with them... Any idea whether they nip fins?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i dont think gobies in general nip fins.. if they nip.. it'll be the entire fish..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am thinking of adding Endler's Livebearer... Or a betta... Hmm... How? Would they be suitable? Scared the Endler's will end up as gobie snack...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    thomas.. Whats a neon goby actually?? the only ones i know are SW ones.. Anyway.. i wouldn't put any gobies with endlers..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From my experience, they eat brine shrimps. And Tetra bits.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

these too..

Freeze dried food...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ooo... dried food sounds good... Makes them good fishies...

These are probably Stiphodon spp.... Think I got the spelling right... Need to double check Fishbase...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    I am thinking of adding Endler's Livebearer... Or a betta... Hmm... How? Would they be suitable? Scared the Endler's will end up as gobie snack...
    put risk your endlers.. pass them to me. i help you look after
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have the Endler's in a separate container now... The male changes colour occassionally leh... Bought from NA.

Anyway back on track, hoe big do these fellas grow to? Any idea?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    where did you get your "neon gobies" from?

i have a 1.5ft tank of gobies. 3 so-called zebra gobies that i got from Ben's some time back and 1 knight goby. Along with 2 puffers and 1 molly.

I am feeding them with frozen brine shrimps now. Seems to be more preferred over bloodworms.

I would say gobies tend to be territorial. Probably will try to "bark" at intruders. If your endlers don't go to the bottom of the tank, probably will be safe..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Neons from C328. Got blue cheeks... There's a red-finned version too. But I dunno if it is also a neon goby... Anyway, no idea what species they are... I took some pics. Will do some processing over the holidays and then post them later...

Zebra gobies? Ooo... Sound interesting... Any pic?

Knights are brackish... The Zebras also?

I am thinking of transferring them to a 1ft cube in a couple of month's time... And then maybe put some lampeyes or similar surface dwellers with them... No way am I going to sacrifice my Endlers!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some pictures of my new gobies!

One of the Blue Neon Gobies...

The ones supposedly with the red fins...

Head view

Dorsal view

Very difficult to take pic of the smaller neons... Can compare their size...

Any ID?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm not sure about ID, although the one with the blue stripe is probably Stiphodon atropurpureus or something like that. Hails from HK and I think Taiwan and Japan.

That said, these Stiphodon fellas can be very difficult to keep alive in the community tank. They are primarily grazing fish though I've known them to take live worms and live foods in general. Try not to give them prepared foods because if it doesn't move, they don't eat it.

Observing the ones in Choong Sua last time reinforced the idea that they are actually grazing on the microscopic animals living in the algae that grow on plant leaves and the glass surfaces, rather that feeding on the algae itself. That may explain why most of the time they end up looking extremely thin in the shops.

They require a cooler temperature and behave very much like the hillstream loaches. Keep them only if you are able to give them cool temperatures and a good flow of water. Being gobies, they are naturally adapted to riffles and small stream-like conditions with a slight to fast flow of water. They prefer to have rockwork in the tank though, so use smooth pebbles and the like when decorating the tank. Cheers.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks like you're going to have to start algae farming...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The last time I tried a Stiphodon sp., it readily takes Hikari algae wafers! I hope they do... Gosh, I HAVE to sleep! Haha...

Oh, JY, with NO lights and the room being air-conditioned when I am home... I think the water temperature should be rather coolish... I certainly hope they like that!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah, what the heck are you doing up at 5am? Anyway, good luck with the gobies, I've been toying with the idea for awhile now but it seems my M. malayanum is getting pretty big. 10cm from rostrum to tail

Any idea where i can get pond gobies? they occur in freshwater right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Those gobies looked like that haven't been eating for some time... Their stomaches looks bad...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Will try to get them to feed soon...

Shannon, what are pond gobies?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Stigmatogobius poecilosoma They're the common gobies you USED to see in the ponds and large drains. Strange that they've disappeared...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    OH~!!! these..lol... like stormhawk.. i see them at the old CS last time.. cant remember the name right now.. uncle showed me once when i was talking to him about some fishes.. anyway..good luck with them Justikanz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast