Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    These days, everyone has steamboat dinners. I was just watching TV after dinner and they were show more people have STEAMBOAT DINNERS for reunion!!!! ARRGGHH!!! It's become Singapore's unofficial reunion dinner!

Cheers,
    And more and more families having reunion dinner at restaurant

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by anttz
    And more and more families having reunion dinner at restaurant
    In restaurants, they rush you. They aim to do two sittings and it's chop, chop, quick quick eat, quick quick go. Feels very rushed. No fun either.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've just had my third Chinese restaurant dinner of the season, last evening. I don't know which is worse - Chinese restaurant dinner or steamboat at home.

Give me my sambal belacan!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try a steamboat dinner at a Chinese restaurant?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Forgive me my ignorance but what the heck is a steamboat dinner?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    steamboat dinner = getting a 'boat' and filling it with hot water, then throwing in all sorts of marine life to form a happy community swimming in the water. Then you cover the boat and wait about 3 minutes before opening it and consuming the marine 'life' inside. The cost is similar to that of a cruise, which explains the 'boaty' name.

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    steamboat dinner = getting a 'boat' and filling it with hot water, then throwing in all sorts of marine life to form a happy community swimming in the water. Then you cover the boat and wait about 3 minutes before opening it and consuming the marine 'life' inside. The cost is similar to that of a cruise, which explains the 'boaty' name.
    Oh I see. LOL....so its a tad on the pricey side then. It sounds delicious.
    Thanks for the Explanation Budak, does your duck like steamboat dinners?

Kind Regards
    Cameron

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    welcome Cameron, not often to find members from South Africa. Do you go fish collecting?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    welcome Cameron, not often to find members from South Africa. Do you go fish collecting?
    And if you do Cameron, can I come too!?

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Steamboat is the easiest mah .. no need to spend few hrs cooking in the kitchen and later tired and no appetite to eat as CNY support to relax and happy to meet family members ...

I know why lot of people few bore cos if continue for few year of cos me also getting bore lar...but I really hope you all enjoying cos once a year only .. treat the dinner as normal dinner lor ...

For me I want to have steamboat also no change this year .. really feel lonely and sad spending new year in S'pore with my kids and wife only..work work work .. till 28th Jan still working till 1130pm and not time to go shopping.
    I cancel my plan just becos the stupid client and management ... squeeze the project timeline from 1 month to 2 weeks. And I can say this is the most busy year for me while others busy bring their family out for celebrating.

I remember last time my mum use to cook start from 2pm till 5pm than me always hiding in the kitchen to help out at the same time also become food tester haha. But I really love all the food .. eat until feel vomit than stop. After that is the fireworks and firecracker session untill 12am than that's the "WORLD WAR III" time.

To avoid relative gossip topic...get married and have kid than off the topic from them..hehe like me lor if not my uncle try to play match maker last time I also don't know how to face the girl if meet up ???

Anyway reunion maybe no fresh to those S'porean staying in this island but it really feel different when you work oversea and keep thinking coming back to reunion during CNY. Life is short ... how many year you can spend with your parents like this??

Happy Lunar New Year to all....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That's the worst of the lot! Had that once in Taka's whatsthename and my thought was "We could've just done this at home." Yeah... ungrateful creature!

Well, I've never had to pay for such dinners but if I do, it'll be either in a Perankan or Indonesian restaurant! Chinese reunion dinner in a non-Chinese restaurant! Yesh!

Quote Originally Posted by hii
    To avoid relative gossip topic...get married and have kid than off the topic from them..hehe like me lor if not my uncle try to play match maker last time I also don't know how to face the girl if meet up ???
    To avoid gossip, get married.
    To avoid gossip, have kids quickly.
    To avoid gossip, buy big car.
    To avoid gossip, buy big house.
    To avoid gossip, don't keep fish?
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hii
    Steamboat is the easiest mah .. no need to spend few hrs cooking in the kitchen and later tired and no appetite to eat as CNY support to relax and happy to meet family members ...
    I once heard my mum said, "Aiyah, this year don't know what to cook, let's just have steamboat." And I still saw her at the markets (ya, she went to more than one market to get the stuff!) the whole morning and then preparing the whole afternoon. Then my colleagues said they'd steamboat cos they're 'lazy'. But hey, you still see lots of non-steamboat dishes like curry chicken and stuff next to the boat!

I say that 'steamboat' is just a fall-back kind of thing. Can't find anything on the table that catches your fancy? Just dip your chopsticks and 'go fishing'!

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    And if you do Cameron, can I come too!?
    Cheers,
    LOL, Sure you can Benny, when are you coming back to South Africa?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Camper
    LOL, Sure you can Benny, when are you coming back to South Africa?
    Still looking for opportunities!! At least now I have a contact to ask about going to fish shops in South Africa.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    Still looking for opportunities!! At least now I have a contact to ask about going to fish shops in South Africa.
    Of course you do, if you are ever in this part of the world again you are more than welcome to come and visit for a few days here in Johannesburg. And I really mean that, it would be a pleasure to have you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by coryfav
    I've just had my third Chinese restaurant dinner of the season, last evening. I don't know which is worse - Chinese restaurant dinner or steamboat at home.

Give me my sambal belacan!
    I dip all my steamboat stuff with sambal belacan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by anttz
    I dip all my steamboat stuff with sambal belacan
    You brought your own sambal belacan to the restaurants? Not everywhere have good ones.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by coryfav
    You brought your own sambal belacan to the restaurants? Not everywhere have good ones.
    No. I have my dinner at home. Secret family recipe sambal belacan.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I make my own chicken rice chilli sauce for our steamboat reunion dinner. Food always go down better with your own chilli sauce.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    I make my own chicken rice chilli sauce for our steamboat reunion dinner. Food always go down better with your own chilli sauce.
    You never fail to amazed me, Thomas....
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast