Images
    Country
    Singapore

My Endler's Livebearer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hmm... Bought this pair from NA. The male can change the colour of the small patch on its body from light purple to black and back... Just as I am typing this, he changes the spot back to light purple... Hmm! Dun want to take pic liao... Very tired and sleep...

Pardon for the blurness... Very difficult to get a good focus...

Any idea what strain this one is?
    Last edited by benny; 29th Jan 2006 at 17:29. Reason: resize image
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    your pix are way too large! use an image editor to resize it. I strongly recommend http://www.irfanview.com/ but as a viewer and minor editing tool (especially for batch).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Thomas those pictures are HUGE!! See part by part..how to appreciate??

resize lah...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thomas,

I've resize your images for you and uploaded it in your AQ gallery.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry... I was trying out re-sizing them relying on the number of pixels... Guess they are still too big and I posted them very late and I have to rush to leave my place for ang pow collecting exercise earlier on...

Paiseh ah...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thomas, pardon my opinion but I think that's probably a wild guppy or a hybrid pair. I had some that turned out that way.

I suspect its not actually a true Endler strain, but rather a deliberate crossing with wild guppy stock. The closest strain I can think of is the Centre Monocle.

Whatever it is, the male seems to have a lower sword appearing. Nice pair though. My wild guppies seem to be breeding true, with very little variation amongst the young males that are produced from the group.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    JY, I was thinking so too... But Mr Chan says confirmed Endler's wor... I am hoping they have babies soon... Then I can check the babies...

Anyway, the sword and the black patch certainly makes them very Endler's... Not to mention the size...

If not pure Endler's, maybe a hybrid...

But I saw pictures of similar strain in a travel report on Endler's in the wild... Let me confirm...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well hopefully he's right and the babies do turn out to be replicas of their parents. If you got oddballs in the bunch then chances are the parents are hybrids or just regular wild guppies.

The black blotch isn't unique to just the Endlers, plus the sword trait is also seen in some wild guppy populations.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's why I am hoping the female will get pregnant... But the male doesn't look like the wild guppies... *Cross fingers and pray*...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Err.. the strain of wild guppy I have at home produces males that have varying degrees of red/orange and black blotches scattered on the body. Each male has a varying degree of black and the size of the blotches are not uniform. However all the males seem to have a black spot on the caudal peduncle surrounded by a shiny white "halo", much like the Endler strain called the white peacock, which in this case, has this white-black spot on the caudal fin itself.

Oddly enough, when I caught my wild guppies from the small stream, the males all had different degrees of colouration. It seems that because of the currently small population of wild guppies in that tub I keep them in, there is some sort of selective breeding going on without any intervention from me. I think I'll catch a young female and isolate her with the male that shows the best potential.

Anyway, the guppy fry from one of the females in my 3ft tank are already an inch in size and looking very much like black guppies. Strain.. I don't know what.