2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by vratenza
    i am more or less firm on getting 2x2028 for my tank based on the suggestion by the bros here.

but i am also gettting the following which will need to be hooked to the in/out of the filters.... so it is important to know how best to connect them to maximize the efficiency.....
    1) surface skimmer
    2) external co2 reactor connected to Co2 set
    3) chiller

also. is 2028 enough?
    imho, i suggest you get a separate pump for your co2 reactor.
    by the time the flow goes through the 2028 & chiller to your reactor, the flowrate is cut back quite alot.

also for the 2028 u use for the chiller, use a sponge to cover the pipe inlet as a pre-filter or else you'll find that there'll be a builtup of dirt/gunk in your chiller. somehow some stuff will still be present in the water after it passes through the 2028 filtration to the chiller. not too bad if the chiller is serviced regularly while on warranty but after that.... a big headache. so the 2028 will then effectively become a dedicated biofilter that's cleaned only once every few months or none at all.

2nd 2028 will be your mechanical filter, maintained monthly. can be hooked up to the surface skimmer.
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mordrake
    imho, i suggest you get a separate pump for your co2 reactor.
    by the time the flow goes through the 2028 & chiller to your reactor, the flowrate is cut back quite alot.
    you mean a separate tube to draw water from the tank thru the pump, thru the co2 reactor and back to tank via another tube?

also for the 2028 u use for the chiller, use a sponge to cover the pipe inlet as a pre-filter or else you'll find that there'll be a builtup of dirt/gunk in your chiller. somehow some stuff will still be present in the water after it passes through the 2028 filtration to the chiller. not too bad if the chiller is serviced regularly while on warranty but after that.... a big headache. so the 2028 will then effectively become a dedicated biofilter that's cleaned only once every few months or none at all.
    thks for sharing the experience & tip! wouldn't the sponge slow the flow even more?

2nd 2028 will be your mechanical filter, maintained monthly. can be hooked up to the surface skimmer.
    u mean for the 2nd 2028, the filter media will be more for mech filtratn eg. rock wool, sponge etc? 1st 2028 to have ceramic rings, bioball ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    suggest you use a powerhead as a reactor to suck in Co2 and the output to a DIY rainbar . Put the rainbar at the back of the tank and spray toward the front. Get a powerhead at least 800L/h . Best is 1200L/h.

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by neon
    suggest you use a powerhead as a reactor to suck in Co2 and the output to a DIY rainbar . Put the rainbar at the back of the tank and spray toward the front. Get a powerhead at least 800L/h . Best is 1200L/h.

Cheers

hmm.... the tank water is drawn from the filter outlet?. Which brand and model of the powerhead will you recommend? What sort of diameter am i supposed to use?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys, I am customing my tank soon. Will like to find out abit more so that the dimensions will be ok....

1) for 2028, what are the sizes (diameter) of both the in and outflow tubes used? How long do they come in the box?

2) can 2X 3ft Aquamarin T5 set be arranged in series resting on the eurobracing and the centre bracing? (ie. within the perimeter of the glass tank) Or will i have to rest them on the hood skirting? (ie. outside the perimeter of the glass tank?)

3) where can i buy the PVC tubings, tube holders and ballvalves? Intending to DIY my own water drainage system.

4) what are the diameter of the PVC tubings i should be using? Will it cause a drop in pressure if it is of diffrent size from the tubings used for the filters?

Tks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Erm.... anyone? Kinda urgent here cos trying to finalise the tank plan the next 2 days and my tank maker can get to work!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1) Eheim hose is 16/22mm. Length wise is maybe 2.5ft or 3ft x2 hose.

2) Dunno as Aquamarin T5 lightset are new in the market. Someone with a 3ft Aquamarin lightset might take the measurement down and post it here.

3)Can't help you there. I have zero experience with PVC. But I know there are 3 types of pvc standard. Not sure if the 3 of them are compatible with each other.

4) Not sure too. As above.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks! finally some response from a kind soul!
    BTW, 16/22 means 16mm out and 22mm in?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    16/22 mm means internal diameter of the hose is 16mm and the external diameter is 22mm. Both the inlet and outlet uses the same hose.

Jurong Industrial Services Center sells all kind of pipings and valves that you can ever imagine.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2) can 2X 3ft Aquamarin T5 set be arranged in series resting on the eurobracing and the centre bracing? (ie. within the perimeter of the glass tank) Or will i have to rest them on the hood skirting? (ie. outside the perimeter of the glass tank?)
    I am not related to Aquamarin but I know their light maker can custom build stands for you. They custom made my suspension support 2 times for a small fee.
    Since you have yet to order your tank and cabinet, you are free to have any design you want to. Have it sorted out on paper and work with the various people to produce what you like to have. Enjoy..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks like you're not ready for the big project ... no offences but this is a big tank and u better make sure all things are taken care of else you will have big headaches

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    4) what are the diameter of the PVC tubings i should be using? Will it cause a drop in pressure if it is of diffrent size from the tubings used for the filters?
    What exactly you need the PVC for? For draining out water or to connect to the Eheim hose?

I thought one of the forumer showed the pic of his setup in this thread? Can ask to see his setup in person so that you have some idea of what to do.
    Whatever it is I think it is best to bring along a small length of the hose when you are hunting for those PVC pipings.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    16/22 mm means internal diameter of the hose is 16mm and the external diameter is 22mm. Both the inlet and outlet uses the same hose.

Jurong Industrial Services Center sells all kind of pipings and valves that you can ever imagine.

where is this JISC located? maybe pop by when i am free to see see look look to have an idea on what is available.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Looks like you're not ready for the big project ... no offences but this is a big tank and u better make sure all things are taken care of else you will have big headaches
    yah... i know... big project .... that's why asking lotsa questions and browsing alot of old threads and looking at lots of setup....... alot of the questions i ask are specific to the setup i am aiming for.

I guess everyone will advise me to go for 2 ft first..... but i feel that even for people upgrading from 2 to 6ft will have questions and doubts too as the setup is totally different interms of pipings, style, maintenance and the equipment used....

I am looking to minimise my boo boo rather than perfect setup at 1st go......

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    What exactly you need the PVC for? For draining out water or to connect to the Eheim hose?

I thought one of the forumer showed the pic of his setup in this thread? Can ask to see his setup in person so that you have some idea of what to do.
    Whatever it is I think it is best to bring along a small length of the hose when you are hunting for those PVC pipings.
    Actually going to modify his idea abit......

tank-->filter intake tube (soft) --->from the back of the tank -->enter the hole at back of cabinet---> connect to series of PVC piping with T-joints and ballvalves fixed to the inner cabinet structure----> flexible hose to the filter canister. just reverse for the return flow.

The idea of the PVC pipes is to allow me to connect quick connect/release hose to drain the water or to pump in the water from tap during water change.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vratenza, use the 'KISS' method in setting up a tank.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    Vratenza, use the 'KISS' method in setting up a tank.
    keep it short and simple?

hmmm... i guess i should just set up the basic hoses and filter, light and gravel first.... later on when comfortable then maybe think about DIY some piping to make life abit simpler

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    keep it short and simple?

hmmm... i guess i should just set up the basic hoses and filter, light and gravel first.... later on when comfortable then maybe think about DIY some piping to make life abit simpler

Nope, it stand for KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. Btw, me not saying you stupid, just that it is the phrase. Just keep everything simple and tidy. PVC need to be glued together and if you did not glue it properly, it will leak. And when that happen, you either pull apart the piping or cut away and use another fresh pvc piping. Kind of complicated right?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually going to modify his idea abit......

tank-->filter intake tube (soft) --->from the back of the tank -->enter the hole at back of cabinet---> connect to series of PVC piping with T-joints and ballvalves fixed to the inner cabinet structure----> flexible hose to the filter canister. just reverse for the return flow.

The idea of the PVC pipes is to allow me to connect quick connect/release hose to drain the water or to pump in the water from tap during water change.....
    If that's what you are trying to do, then it is really not that complex... I can think of 2 methods.. but it is quite difficult to describe. Let me try..

Method 1 - simple to setup but a little more work in the long run:
    Buy those eheim 'quick-connector' (this is not the name but donno what's the name).. those that people use to connect to their chiller so that they can easily unhook the chiller for servicing. Connect this connector to either inlet or outlet hose of the filter. When you want to change water, just disconnect this from the filter and re-connect the end,from the tank, to a flexible pipe that is leading to a lower point, such as a floor trap. Your flexible pipe need the 'male' part of the 'quick-connector'.
    When you want to refill the water, just retrieve the end from the floor-trap and connect to the tap or the pump of your reserve tank. Your pump need to be connected to a female-part of the 'quick-connector'.
    Using this method you have to ensure that whichever ends of the filter you use, the 'intake' to the floor-trap must be sufficient low enough in the tank.

Method 2 -
    Using your method.. Have the outlet from your tank join to a PVC pipes that split into 3 ends of PVC pipes. Connect a ball valve to each of these 3 ends. First end connect to the filter. The 2nd end connect to a drain pipe. The 3rd one connect to the pump that runs your reserve tank or your connect to your tap.
    Normal Day-to-day running: Open only the ball valve of the filter.
    Drain Water: Open only the ball valve of the 2nd end.
    Pump back water: Open only the ball valve of the 3rd end.

Re. the location of the place, look up streetdirectory.com. It is just 1 min off AYE.

Hope this helps..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Imho, if u know what u wan to use for ur PVC piping, get the tank maker to do all the piping 4 u. Best PVC avail now seems to be from GF piping.

Else if u stay need the east and wan to DIY, go to Ubi area where there are quite a few hardware shop. U can also visit Hai Cheong Plastics Pte Ltd @ Paya Ubi Ind Pk.

Cheers
    JC

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast