Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    Nope, it stand for KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. Btw, me not saying you stupid, just that it is the phrase. Just keep everything simple and tidy. PVC need to be glued together and if you did not glue it properly, it will leak. And when that happen, you either pull apart the piping or cut away and use another fresh pvc piping. Kind of complicated right?
    fully agree with you!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    If that's what you are trying to do, then it is really not that complex... I can think of 2 methods.. but it is quite difficult to describe. Let me try..

Method 1 - simple to setup but a little more work in the long run:
    Buy those eheim 'quick-connector' (this is not the name but donno what's the name).. those that people use to connect to their chiller so that they can easily unhook the chiller for servicing. Connect this connector to either inlet or outlet hose of the filter. When you want to change water, just disconnect this from the filter and re-connect the end,from the tank, to a flexible pipe that is leading to a lower point, such as a floor trap. Your flexible pipe need the 'male' part of the 'quick-connector'.
    When you want to refill the water, just retrieve the end from the floor-trap and connect to the tap or the pump of your reserve tank. Your pump need to be connected to a female-part of the 'quick-connector'.
    Using this method you have to ensure that whichever ends of the filter you use, the 'intake' to the floor-trap must be sufficient low enough in the tank.

Method 2 -
    Using your method.. Have the outlet from your tank join to a PVC pipes that split into 3 ends of PVC pipes. Connect a ball valve to each of these 3 ends. First end connect to the filter. The 2nd end connect to a drain pipe. The 3rd one connect to the pump that runs your reserve tank or your connect to your tap.
    Normal Day-to-day running: Open only the ball valve of the filter.
    Drain Water: Open only the ball valve of the 2nd end.
    Pump back water: Open only the ball valve of the 3rd end.

Re. the location of the place, look up streetdirectory.com. It is just 1 min off AYE.

Hope this helps..
    I guess i will go shopping around for the pipes and ballvlaves soon... if the way they are connected is too difficult for my puny brain, then i can still fall back on your method one which is a very good and simple idea actually!

BTW what is the recommended power of the powehead to pump water from the reserve tank all the way up to the tank ~2m height minimum?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by solonavi
    Imho, if u know what u wan to use for ur PVC piping, get the tank maker to do all the piping 4 u. Best PVC avail now seems to be from GF piping.

Else if u stay need the east and wan to DIY, go to Ubi area where there are quite a few hardware shop. U can also visit Hai Cheong Plastics Pte Ltd @ Paya Ubi Ind Pk.

Cheers
    JC
    Wat's GF piping?
    Issit a kind of material?
    thnks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vratenza
    Wat's GF piping?
    Issit a kind of material?
    thnks!

GF is Georg Fischer
    www.piping.georgfischer.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    GF pvc are branded pvc. Quality is good especially with their valves and such.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can this GF piping be bought at this shop?
    --> Hai Cheong Plastics Pte Ltd @ Paya Ubi Ind Pk

Or any other shops?
    How about shops in Kelantan Lane?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    U should be able to get it from Hai Cheong. Give them a call b4 hand to check.

Note: Gd things dun come cheap.

JC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vratenza
    BTW what is the recommended power of the powehead to pump water from the reserve tank all the way up to the tank ~2m height minimum?
    If I were you I will just go for those cheap and big Atman (or equivalent China-made) pump. 2m may be a high head to overcome but if I'm not wrong you need the pump only to push water from reserve tank into the main tank during water change right? Most of these pumps have their specs (head vs flowrate) printed on the packaging box.

Or you can also get the 3000+ l/hr Eheim pump someone was trying to sell recently in AQ. I'm sure the 2m obstacle is not a problem for that pump.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Note: Gd things dun come cheap.
    JC
    If money is not an issue, go for the best.

Alternative you can always fall back on plumber-tape, PVC-glue and Epoxy Glue..

I can tell you those smelly Epoxy glue really pack alot of punch.. when I was doing my DIY reactor I have to use a small drill bit to drill a big round hole.. and obviously the resultant round holes are not too round. I use those Epoxy Glue on the gaps and when it dries up, boy.. no matter how I abuse the connection it will just not give way.. it stays water tight all the way!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll highly recommend getting a gd pump for 2 main reasons, failure rate and heat induce. Eheim 1262 definitely can do the job and the piece zenscape is selling is a gd price, imo.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll highly recommend getting a gd pump for 2 main reasons, failure rate and heat induce. Eheim 1262 definitely can do the job and the piece zenscape is selling is a gd price, imo.

Cheers
    JC
    Agree with you, 100%, if price meets budget.
    For his case (not that he has no budget) since he is only using to pump water back during water change, then heat may not be a big issue.
    Plus those China-made pump is really cheap.. spoilt, just throw away and buy another one.. you can have at least 6 replacement for the price of 1 eheim..
    Have 3 for standby at any time, hehe..

But that said, again, I will go for the Eheim pump if I got the money.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cheers
    JC
    Where is Zenscape ? By the way for pump you people could try a Eheim alike Made in Germany pump call Aquabee. I saw it in Boon Keng Bioplast and AquaMarine in Jalan Kayu.

Boon Keng don't keep stock but Aquamarine do. They also provide 1 year warranty like Eheim (even design is same) and i like it because for the same wattage, it can pump more water.

I saw the smaller series of AquaBee and it was 16W or 18W but water output was 1800L/H but my Eheim 1250 was running at 28W but output was only 1200L/H. They do have a 2400L/H or 3000L/H model.

Btw i not related to any of the shops above.

Btw found this local website which carry them

http://www.eaquanature.com/store/default.php?cPath=42
    Last edited by spinex; 16th Feb 2006 at 12:19.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by spinex
    Where is Zenscape ? By the way for pump you people could try a Eheim alike Made in Germany pump call Aquabee. I saw it in Boon Keng Bioplast and AquaMarine in Jalan Kayu.

Boon Keng don't keep stock but Aquamarine do. They also provide 1 year warranty like Eheim (even design is same) and i like it because for the same wattage, it can pump more water.

I saw the smaller series of AquaBee and it was 16W or 18W but water output was 1800L/H but my Eheim 1260 was running at 28W but output was only 1200L/H. They do have a 2400L/H or 3000L/H model.

Btw i not related to any of the shops above.

Btw found this local website which carry them

http://www.eaquanature.com/store/default.php?cPath=42
    Yah.. when comes to pump, we planters have no match for those in the dark side.. they use pump to pump the hell out of their tank..
    I think the marine folks are the best to tell us what is value-for-money pumps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh yes. Aquabee is also another pump I'll highly recommend. Ard the same pricing as eheim.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    For pressurized pump, iwaki is the champion. Resun is popular for pricing.

For normal pump, eheim & Aquabee has been the forerunner in our market.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For pressurized pump, iwaki is the champion. Resun is popular for pricing.

For normal pump, eheim & Aquabee has been the forerunner in our market.

Cheers
    JC
    AquaBee is much cheaper. You can compare AquaBee UP3000 (38W, 3000 l/h
    ) pump to a Eheim 1260 (65W, 2400L/H).

Bioplast is using them for their biggest display tank a AquaBee. The boss say so far no problem he has been using for many years. They use it as external pump.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by spinex
    AquaBee is much cheaper. You can compare AquaBee UP3000 (38W, 3000 l/h
    ) pump to a Eheim 1260 (65W, 2400L/H).

Bioplast is using them for their biggest display tank a AquaBee. The boss say so far no problem he has been using for many years. They use it as external pump.
    Another point to note when buying external pump is the flowrate + distance. Some pumps' flowrate reduce dramatically when the distance is >2m.

Below are the flowrate of 3 main brands that I know and is reliable.
    Iwaki (Pressurized Pump)

Eheim

Aqua Medic

I could not find Aquabee chart but I do know that many skimmer are using it as an external needlewheel pump. This is the best info that I can gather abt aquabee pump. http://www.aquabee-aquarientechnik.de/e_up3000.htm

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    great discussion...if only can be condensed and made into a sticky complete with diagrams...
    already very highly detailed with pump comparison charts etc.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow! thanks all for the very informative discussion into the pump! Looks like i am spoilt for choice! Guess i might try to go for the Aquabee 3000 model since i am getting my T5 lights from aquamarin soon!

BTW, really like the solite 4 series of t5 lights sold by Aquamarin.... slim profile and can flip-up to do tank maintenance somemore!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Went down to NA today........ wanted to buy the filters/gravels/Co2 set.... but Mr Chan not around...sigh.... the PRC-looking lady cannot make alot of decision... so in the end went back empty handed........but while i was there, found out the the Seachem Onyx sand down to the last 7 pack...... i need at least 8 packs to make 5cm of substrate.... sigh....

Called Mr Chan later in the evening and found that is the only last 7 pack he has at promotional prices.......... I guess i have to source for the extra 1-2 pack from elsewhere.... anyone seen Seachem Onyx sand other than at NA?

BTW, is it a good idea to put 3 bags of jbl base fert to cover the lower layer before dumping all 7 packs of onyx ontop??? Any pros and cons?
    Last edited by vratenza; 18th Feb 2006 at 01:19.