Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: hybrids

Feedback Score

hybrids

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    is every one on this board against hybrids? has anyone ever kept them? i am totally against people persoanlly manipulating fish for there own devices, and i don't support them. but in the case of the blood parrot it clearly had to be an accident to create them, sveerums and red devils int he same tank spell disaster! [] . but these flowerhorns are purposely made, and i can't imagine why people would hate these fish or want to exploit them. these are all very beautiful fish the fl;owerhorms caught my eye the first time i saw them in a lfs, i thought they were wild trimacs, but apparently they are not. i would just like to know, with good solid supporting evidence, why people do not like these fish.
    ferbus
    ps. this thread is not meant to be a blood bath, but i would like ideas to be expressed clearly and orderly.
    thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    I *think* its because some stores in Singapore only sell LH now...And it is taking over the hobby. Thats why i'm against them anyway.
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    you know i read about that on line somewhere mez. i was shocked to find that the major wholesalers are only selling these flowerhorns and no other fish, but then i realized they were all about the money. my friend who happens to live in singapore tells me that the cool thing now is to breed any 2 random cichlids and try to bring out the best of the 2 cichlids take a look at this "manaconda", its supposed to be the next best thing after flower horns. this particular fish is a hybrid between a male jag and a female red terror. now i have to admit that this fish is beautiful, but it has nothing on a true jag or festae. these pictures of his tank also include many other fish that are all liek 12in -14in in a 190gal tank, he has at least 20 cichlids that i would die to own, well just take a look at the pictures!
    http://arofanatics.com/members/dovii/mycichlids/
    ferbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi ferbus, welcome to the board.

The issue of hybridisation alone is largely a matter of personal preferences really. It had sparked great debates everywhere not just in fishkeeping. arguements cover ethical, scientific, moral and even religious grounds.

anyhow, hybrids all along had a place in human world.An example is the mule..an important animal in many areas. Another example, some our modern pedigree pet dogs are the results of hybridisation.

Somehow the line can be quite blur. Look at goldfish. Technically it is still a purebred, But almost all hybrid aquarium fish will look more natural than it.

The hobby is huge. It allows for all preferences and we have to respect that. And many of us here were brought into the hobby by fish like goldfish, fancy betta, oscars..etc. ALl these fish dont appear as they are in the wild anyway.

Somehow the LH talk was entwined with specks of hybrid talk here and there because these controversial fish are hybrids. Hybridisation being a controversial topic itside just rolls in.

FOr me at least the real concern is what they do to the hobby here.
    and imagine the disgrace at Aquarama next year when foreigners seeing us treating these fish like gold, selling their weight in gold.

Feedback Score
    but did you check out the site?
    ferbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah the owner of the gallery dovii is a member here
    and from my expereince, No. these fish dont look full grown. I will put them between 8-10". They still look tender and relatively young. I think dovii had agreed on that already.

and have you checked out the rest of the forum ? there are some discussions about LH.

clearly it is not just due to the fact LH are hybrids. It will be equally bad if they are pure. We are looking beyond this fish itself.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i recalled reading somewhere that some breeders are purposely trying to cross-breed so as to come out with newer species.. and accordingly, there is almost a new species being introduced every month..

what the breeders does is cross-breed the 2 different species and then, as u know, each brood amt to thousands of fries; select the potential ones and dump the rest away.. some of the forumers even witnessed ppl dumping LH into the reserviors, rivers.. that will upset the eco-system.. sigh..

personally, i dun have anything against LH, except that some irresponsible breeders are doing such stuff as mentioned above which irritate me..

while we understand that LH is the cash cow to lfs now, but dun the lfs know that the hobby is not just restricted to LH? there are other aquarists who are not interested in LH at all and will still patronise the shop coz of proximity, needs etc... but sad to say, some lfs have already converted almost half or even the entire shop to solely LH.. much to the disgust of some forumers here.. i'm sure that some of the forumers shared this feelings that i mentioned here...

My friend recently visited Serangoon North and was pissed by those fellas squatting outside the shops, trying to look at a particular fish that they blocked the passage way.. as a result, he decided to call it the "Ah Beng FISH"[]. He wanted to buy a 2ft tank from Rainbow to try to keep plants and tetras and was given a baby LH free, which he declined to keep.[:]

This phenomenon is similiar to those of discus.. but while discus may have been hybridised.. but due to its not so territorial nature, several of them can still be placed together.. i can't believe it that there is actually a acrylic sheet with suckers to hold them to divide the 2ft tank so as to hold 2 LH.. dun the owners know that fished grow???
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.