Country
    Singapore

Advice on fish selection

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

Need some suggestions and advice on what non-schooling fish should I add to a community planted tank which have a schooling 50 x Red Rummynose, 5 x Otto and 20 x Cherry shrimps.

Btw, I have a 5ft tank.

Thanks in advance
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, that is quite personal...

What about first telling us your preference and your 'No Thanks' list? Maybe also your plants or plants to use in the future.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Lets see. I dun fancy Pleco and any fishes that grow up to >3".

As for plants, its pretty hard to determine. I'm more concern of its availability, appearance and suitability to my scape.

Dun know if these helps.
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow... Non schooling and less than 3"... Let's see...

You can get a bunch (~8-12) female Betta splendens or croacking/ sparkling gouramis. They are less quarrelsome than dwarf gouramis... though MIGHT be less colourful... Their bickering and establishing of pecking order would be interesting to watch...

And you can get some Florida Flag Fishes too... They stay near the bottom and are quite inquisitive too. If you throw in some cories, they may even pretend to be cories! I know mine did!

But in a 5ft tank, it would be nice to have a couple of bigger fish... Pearl gouramis might be nice... So are moonlights... But add these, you won't be able to add the bettas or croakers...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh!! Some fresh water gobies can look good and have interesting behaviours too.

Can't think of any at this moment... Let's see what the others suggest...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Bro.

But wun Betta disturb the shrimps? Flagfish seems interesting. Shall research more into these two.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    how about vallanti gouramis?? the last time i was at bens they were there..
    smaller candidates can be pencil fish...like maybe trifasciatus

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Initially they will... And occassionally, they will hunt, esp the babies. But once your plants get thick and the shrimp population gets established, it should be ok.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Justin, pencils will still school, somehow... Maybe you can show us how the vallanti gouramis look like?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Initially they will... And occassionally, they will hunt, esp the babies. But once your plants get thick and the shrimp population gets established, it should be ok.
    Ic. Guess its only an option after my shrimp starts populating....

JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    how about vallanti gouramis?? the last time i was at bens they were there..
    smaller candidates can be pencil fish...like maybe trifasciatus
    Pencil fish is interesting too. Will like to see how they so call "hover". Maybe a small group of 5 is not that bad even if they school. hmm...

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Trichopsis pumila aka croacking/ sparkling Gourami definitely look gd with its sparkling outlook and its actually "croaks"?! Should they be kept in a pair?

Any idea which LFS have them?

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How about a few Bosemani Rainbowfish?
    At least look more prominent that the rummynose.

Or Swordtails?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Juggler want to donate baby swords eh? Swords would look nice too, JC. Heard Juggler's got some very nice swords...

Croackers can be found at almost all the popular LFSs... But recently, I didn't see any. Same for the smaller sparkling gouramis... No need to select a pair... But if you can differentiate, why not?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Tat's a gd suggestion from Juggler. Interesting and violent behaviour during courting and colors changing.

Thanks Bro.
    JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Juggler want to donate baby swords eh? Swords would look nice too, JC. Heard Juggler's got some very nice swords...
    I'll love to take in some of his swordtail if he's willing to let go.
    Check out his lovely Xiphophorus helleri.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d/t2050401.jpg

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lovely!! Wonderful tank too... Woot!

One question for Juggler, won't the babies be eaten by the other tank inhabitants?

JC, swords dun school, stay smallish (some can hot almost 4" though), are colourful and damn lively... Go for them? Darn... Make my heart itchy for livebearers liao...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Those juvenile swords from Koah Fong are doing great in my tank! You guys should give it a go.
    Darting here n there, stuffing everything into their mouths. Same as the other normal Swords I had earlier. Stuffing everything into their mouths, including their own pups...
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Livebearers will eat their young... Even for mollies which supposed dun...
    So need to have cover for them... Think roots of frogbits are good enough...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    How about Dicrossus filamentosus?

Or something not so common, the empire gudgeon, Hypseleotris compressa? Just read a recent discussion about them somewhere.

But for *any* fish that you intend to add, your cherry shrimps will be better off with lots of plant cover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast