Country
    Singapore

moss as foreground?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Need to find out how to grow a foreground using moss? and what moss would more suitable?

THanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    tie "Taiwan moss" to those SS foreground metal mesh...N.A has some great looking taiwan moss foreground
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Yampeck

Tie the moss on wire mesh. Some use plastic mesh, but personally, I prefer the wire ones. Here's my lawn when it first started to grow, it has since grown to more than double the thickness... Time for a trim!

You can see the wire mesh in these pics:

IMO, almost all mosses can be used as a forground cover. However, I think Taiwan and erect moss would be the best. It would be a waste to use Christmas moss as their fonds look best when used on wood or as a background. Weeping moss would be wasted on mesh as the 'weeping' effect would be lost. Euro or willow moss dun look good as a carpet as it branches less and is damn slow growing. Java moss is also a good candidate but it could and would look messy if not maintained...

You can also try mini Taiwan moss, mini moss, Singapore moss, fissidens etc...

Have fun!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the recent "Spiky" moss showing up in our LFSs would look nice as a foreground too...
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Brian, any idea what's the difference between spiky and erect moss?

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Spiky and Erect moss are different in many ways. They are from different genus - Erect is a Vesicularia (same as Christmas, Weeping, Singapore ...) while Spiky is a Taxiphyllum (same as Java and Taiwan). This means Spiky is more hardy and easier to grow than Erect/Christmast etc. It is also less likely to suffer from 'browning' and can grow without attaching to anything.

All mosses are pretty to me

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Take a look at mine but lousy pictures.Still learning how to use a DC.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=17979
    I used wire mesh........

Quote Originally Posted by yampeck
    Hi,

Need to find out how to grow a foreground using moss? and what moss would more suitable?

THanks
    Happy Planting, Be Well & Prosper. An aquarium plants hobbyist for hobbyists.

Scaping Nature in a Cube
    SMS/Whatsapp: James | 9647 0392 | Tampines S(520273)

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Baron
    Spiky and Erect moss are different in many ways. They are from different genus - Erect is a Vesicularia (same as Christmas, Weeping, Singapore ...) while Spiky is a Taxiphyllum (same as Java and Taiwan). This means Spiky is more hardy and easier to grow than Erect/Christmast etc. It is also less likely to suffer from 'browning' and can grow without attaching to anything.

All mosses are pretty to me
    Hi,

So far I tried under both method (I) MH/chiller/EI (II) low light/no fan/no co2/little fert for these mosses :
    a) taiwan (I & II)
    b) singapore (I)
    c) erect (I)
    d) christmas (I & II)
    e) willow (I & II)
    f) mini (I & II) <--- my personal choice under my tank
    g) spiky (I & II) <--- my personal choice under my tank

IMHO I never seen a prettier/better/easiet/bushy moss than spiky moss. It looks tough, like pine tree pine needle leaves.
    Last edited by neon; 3rd Feb 2006 at 18:46.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    okie... i'm gonna get some taiwanese moss.
    But as for maintenance of these moss carpet, do u cut and trim like cutting hair? If so, would there be a problem of tiny bits and pcs of moss drifting all over the tank?

Any risk of fishes getting trapped between the wire mesh and the gravel?

hope to post some pics once its more or less done up. Oh ya, any pics of the 'spiky' moss? didnt seem to come across them at LFS? i normally frequent Y612 where they have taiwanese and java moss and sometimes x'mas moss.

Thanks for the advice!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Hi Brian, any idea what's the difference between spiky and erect moss?
    I can't give you a very "scientific" answer, if that's what you're looking for... I think Green Baron can and did though. All I can tell you is that Erect moss grows up and Spiky moss is... well... spiky. It's a pretty dense moss and looks pretty good to me. I know that Colourful Tropical Aquarium next to Nature Aquarium has quite a bit of it on sale if you want to take a look at it... I believe Mr Chan at NA also has it on sale.
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can I say spiky is like taiwan but grow upwards?

Yampeck, think there are 2 schools of thought, one for each. Those who are against pulling will say it will disturb the tied moss and they might have to re-tie again. Those who are against cutting will say it wil leave bits and pieces of everything everywhere...

But my guess is you should do both and see which suits you. But for java, spiky and erect, it might be better to cut.

Just my 2 cents. I have yet to maintain my meshes, so cannot really recommend...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think Neon described it well... It's more bushy in appearance. It doesn't exactly grow upwards like Erect moss, it's just bushy.
    Call me Brian.