Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Marsilea hirsuta

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Has anyone came across this plant...? Requires low light for those low maintanence set up unlike glosso...
    It's not glossostigma right..?

www.tropica.dk/tropica.htm
    Once you click on this link, click on home and you can check out the plant frm that page...tropica discourages direct copyright of their links...
    Last edited by benny; 4th Feb 2006 at 10:09. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope. It's not Glossostigma elatinoides. Totally different plant. However, it may be the same plant as Marsilea crenata which can be found at Teo's plant farm. Seems like the scientific name has yet to be resolved.

If you prefer somthing that looks like Glossostigma elatinoides, short and compact but requires lower light, you can try Marsilea crenata. The emersed form also looks like a four leaf clover, but when covered to submersed form, looks just like Glossostigma elatinoides. Marsilea quadrifolia has broader leaves and can grow taller and can also be found at Teo's plant farm.

I use to use Marsilea crenata as part of my foreground setup. However, it does not grow as fast. Take note.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    M Crenata prefer low lights and does not grow as densely as glosso. Nevertheless, it looks good due to its unique spoon shaped leaves. M Hirsuta is also a shade loving plant(IMO). I grew it under high lighting and the growth was faster with larger leaves, however, the old leaves get spot algae easily after that. As such, it does not look as "good". However, I love their new leaves as they are "gold" or yellow in colour.

Cheers!