Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Planning for a planted tank.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I planning to do a 2ft planted tank for my discus and the problem is I dont' have a spare tank to put them before my planted has complete it cycle.

1) I plan to put base fert covered with 5mm stones to abt 4cm thick and lastly top sand frm NA to a total of 6cm front and back 10-12 cm .
    2) Will be planting all the Echinodurus species with 3/4 of the tank is low plants and 1/3 is high plants to cover the intake tube of my OH filter. Driftwood is my main composite
    3) Will use 2 x 36W PL light & CO2
    4) I plan to put back my discus after I complete the layout, highly dangerous I think.
    5) Last question is, the discus need sinking food and if the bottom is covered how can they eat. I always see pix of planted discus tank with fully covered bottom.

Need advise from AQist whether I doing it rite?[]
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi TTL,

I suggest that you try timebomb's method of placing Pumice stones at the bottom of the tank. One of his tank used this method and works very well for many years. The pumice stones are very light and porous which I beleive that they prevent substrate compacting and provide holding space for water at the deepest points of the tank. Visit his website:
    www.killifish.com

"I plan to put back my discus after I complete the layout, highly dangerous I think"
    -I would not do that.

"the discus need sinking food and if the bottom is covered how can they eat."
    -Not always true. My discus get most of my pallets at the surface and mid water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry, but i wouldnt advise having discus in a 2ft, too cramp for them.. may also complicate things further since the parameter may swing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1) Why are you putting 5mm stones between base fert and gravel? Not a good idea for plants.
    4) Are you reusing your filter? If so,
    - Don't change or wash the filter and media.
    - Keep it running if possible in a pail of the original tank water. Or if you drain the filter, make sure it stays moist.
    - Use as much old tank water as possible when you re-fill the tank.
    - Before re-installing the filter on the new setup, make sure you use anti-chlorine/chloramine to treat the tank water first.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    kc,

My discus afraid to eat floating food, only if I light off with no movement.

Do you have any suggestion where to put my discus b4 the tank has complete it cycle?

Simon,

I had no choice, I cannot hv a 4ft due to space constraint. I thinking of keeping 3 and let go 1 discus.

Vinz,

The 5mm stones is for the roots of Echinodurus rosette plants which I had planned. Think I read somewhere abt this.

For the filter, thks. Tats mean I reserve all the old water, keep it with the filter in a pail. Scape my tank with plants and new water, drain all new water off and put back the old water with the filter?[]

Or maybe some AQist can adopt my discus for one month after which I WILL get it back?[]
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    TTL, 5mm for echinodorus?? think thats aint true... they grow perfectly fine in 2-3mm gravel... the bigger the gravel, the less support the plant is gonna to have..

anyway, i still think discus need a bigger tank than a 2footer, please reconsider, the sheer size of a discus in a tank that size will be inproportional...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As much old water as possible. You can scape with the old water too.

The main points are:
    1. Your bacteria will die if starved of oxygen, so minimise death by operating the filter in pail of saved tank water.
    2. Chlorine (not sure about chloramine, but don't take any chances here) in new tap water will kill the bacteria.

Errr... do consider Simon's concerns though.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Your discus would be stunt if you are going to keep them in a 2ft. Do reconsider.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear TTL,

I guess you do not turn on the light often enough. My discus would come to me for food whenever I go near or I turn on the light in the morning (too dark for me to see). Jacian remind me of your tank size, 2ft may be too small, unless you do not mind them being stunted. For my case, they are in my 4ft tank and I regulate their feeding to keep them small. My discus are about 1.5 years old and they are only about 4-5 inch in diameter.

So, if you insist on 2ft, I would suggest that you use most of your tank's floor area for foreground plants to give more space to them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear all,

Actually, I been a bad father after this 1.5 yrs for my discus, they were first dwell in my 1ft tank, after I transfer to 2ft becos they r getting too big and now I left with no space for a 4ft.[]

kc, I seldom on the lights but the funny things is, they like it dim and when I approach the tank, they will swim upwards for me like a puppy.[]

For the carpet grass, I had try riccia b4 but being pull out by them, they think is worm? So now I thinking of planting dwarf sword plants or hairgrass,

ya. 2ft too small for my 4 discus[] , but I can't bear to part with them. So pai sei to let u guys know that.

So far, I don't think they are stunted, that's why I trying to create for them a natural yet small tank. Maybe sometime later I will let AQist adopt 2 of my discus.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I tried 2 discus in a two feet...after one week, I gave them to a friend who ownes a 3 feet. These guys need space....

Hmm, but if you are only keeping your discus for viewing , not to try to get them to grow, then you can still try... and the carpet floor may mean you have to feed them less often ....