Images
    Country
    Singapore

'Slug' like creature in my planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Having a 4ft planted tank, with probably hundreds of cherries, been feeding them with algae wafers once weekly!
    Actually dun have much time to look after my planted, jux WC and fert dosage weekly. there are no others living creatures.

been a while noticed a slug liked things crawling in my tank. white and kinda slimy, tiny! probably cause of excess food, causing them to propagate more. How one able to rid of them?!?! And how they actually being introduce?!?!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mainly due to overfeeding. They thrive on the leftover food and multiplied from there.

You can control the feeding and meanwhile siphon out as much as you can. I used to manually remove them from the glass too.

Can also try making some sort of a trap like using a piece of food (tablet) on a net. Come nightfall, they'll go onto the tab and you can them get them out.

The fastest way is to do a tank overhaul which I did once, when I couldn't fight them anymore.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Isn't those planaria?
    Just need to add 1 fish, and it would eat them up... Apparently, these "worms" appear quite often in shrimp tanks...
    You don't see them in fish tanks, since they are normally eaten up by the fishes once they decide to appear...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Valice... They do appear in fish inhabited tanks as well... Seems like fish dun like the taste of planaria...

But, if you know of any that will eat, do let me know also... I seem to have a small infestation in my shrimp and clown killie tank...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Planaria! Search the forum for that... lots of posts and solutions offered.

Web says fish don't eat them, but personally, the infestation in my 6 foot tank disappeared practically overnight once I introduced a school of 25 tiger barbs.

but the barbs will probably decimate the cherry shrimp population too... so check the forum for the other solutions... good cleaning and trapping is probably your best bet.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I remember adding a fancy guppy in one of my smaller tanks once before for planaria control.
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sometimes the fishes don't eat them is because from experience, the planaria is quite flat on the wall of the tank... So the fishes have difficulty eating them off the wall...

But if the planaria is free floating in the water (with human intervention, ie), my tetras and rasboras will happy eat them up as if they are tubiflex... That's my experience...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Starve your fish. They'll go for the planaria after that. Of course it'd be a good idea to use predatory fish like cichlids and badis.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    like to brought up this issue again, still unable to rid them off my tank!

tried introducing guppy in it, but seems rejecting to feed on them! how am i able to rid them off? loaches?!

any one with effective method other than tank overhaul, do advice me, thankx

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    dwarf puffer feed on them?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lots of solutions offered in this thread and many previous threads. All repeated. So I would say these are the most effective.

Manual removal is the worse. You'll never find all of them.

Getting something to eat them is the easiest form of control, IMO.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Richie, can't really remember the name something like vermex or vertimex. A small bottle good for killing this buggers maybe some of the brethren can help us out here.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Whoa... something that kills a invertebrae like snails or planaria, may kill the shrimps too. Check out the label and instructions carefully.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Also, if you manually remove, there is a danger of causing more planeria to appear... This is because they are abit like earthworm, where if you break the creature into 2, it becomes 2 planarias (sp?)... So best is use natural predation...

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have tried Vermex at half strength. Fishes, yamato and atyids alive but appetites were reduced. At this dilution, it killed most, NOT ALL of the planaria. It also killed some malayans, a few cherries and ALL my bumble bee shrimps and horn snails.

Instructions say to do a second dose 3 days later but I decided against it, prefering to leave the water unchanged and to starve the fishes for a few days.

If I'd to do this again, I'll take out my inverts first as they're still easier to catch in a planted tank than fishes.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There is another product by Interpet I think not as 'potent' but absolutely deadly against snail because it's called anti-snail. I find Bee extremely sensitive to changes in water, they die even when I add water to tank.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    jux find them kinda annoying! will continue to remove them manually, til a better way to rid them.

wonder hw it gets into my tank? probably come together with the plants i bought..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I found 2 and I literally sqashed them in the tank. They just break down into powdery slimy stuff on the glass and my fingers! *Yucks!* But no more seen after that..
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...