Country
    Singapore

Server problem?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Eh....

I dunno if it is just only me... Every so often, I would not get any responses from the AQ server, resulting in the need to wait for 5-10 minutes (while I constantly refresh the window) to get back on to AQ again. All the other websites (eg. my email account, Google etc) can still be accessed in the meantime and so I know it is not my Internet connection problem...

It is really becoming a PITA... Esp when I am replying a PM or posting a reply...

Thanks...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have been on a lot today…no problems experienced by me.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No, it happens to me almost everyday...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    And it just happened! But luckily, it lasted only 5 mins!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine's fine...

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Clear your cache and internet files and see whether it's better?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, Terence, allow me to ask a silly question... How do I do it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    if you're using windows..

start---->programs---> accessories---> system tools--->disk cleanup---> computer makes a sound and ask drive...state whichever drive you want...then click okay---> some screen pop-up.. click okay again..----> are you sure they ask.. click yes.

you can also right click the E icon on your DESKTOP if you use internet explorer...then click properties.. then under temporary internet files..click delete files..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    However, note that deleting cookies and temporary Internet files removes all your saved passwords, history, etc etc.

On a slighty unrelated note, may I introduce Crap Cleaner. It cleans up your computer of useless crap that accumulates over time. The first time I used it, I remember freeing up 1 gigabyte of space.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1GB? That's a lot of crap! Geez.

Anyway, the server is fine.

I'm on AQ a lot too, and I don't get this problem.

Which ISP are you using?
    Which webbrowser?
    Could your virus scanner be set to scan scripts too?
    Are you getting this on both your office and home machine?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But what does it know is 'crap'?...

Vinz, I am as technically equipped up there as a primary 1 kid... Let me try...

ISP - Singnet. Using LAN. I often get messages of 'searching for network address'. It is irritating and logs me off AQ too but that is a separate problem caused by the router (I think!)

Webbrowser - IE (Dunno version what... )

No idea on the virus scanner... Maybe I can check my lap top later...

It happens at home... I had not noticed whether it is happening in office. Though I DID recall it happening once or twice at my office when AQ moved server...

The thing is, if it is my laptop, then why would all other websites be available and shows no problem except for AQ? Really puzzling to me...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Problems like this when AQ moves server, or upgrades the software is expected and short lived... about 2 days usually. And can usually be fixed by clearing the cache, or forcing the web browser to "hard-refresh" (press CTRL-F5 on IE) the webpage.

However, if it is persistent, it's more likely a connection problem.

If it only happens consistently on your laptop but not on other PCs, then we can eliminate certain possibilities, like the server. If it is the server, then most people on most PCs should get the problem as well.

Looking at it, it maybe that SingNet servers or their upstream access providers might have an issue with traffic that come from certain servers on the various routes that the AQ data travels to get to you. Now the question is, does anyone else have this problem?

Another possibility is that your laptop for some reason does not like the data or scripts on AQ. Have your tried surfing other websites that uses the same forum software as AQ? See if you get the same problems.

The possibilities are numerous... we can only get to the bottom of it by troubleshooting and eliminating possibilites.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, do you use the same laptop in the office and home?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope. Laptop only at home... Which other forums use the same software?... Clubsnap? APC? If the problem occurs again, I can try to access those sites to test out...

Or maybe I can write to Singtel to ask for the reason?...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, APC and ClubSnap are using the same forum software.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, Vinz... Will update...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Update... Happened again. Twice. Able to serve AF and APC when AQ cannot be reached... Eh... So, what is wrong with me?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just my 2 cents.

If you are using a windows PC and using I.E. Try the following.

1. Look for your cache size in your I.E (sorry i am using a Mac so can't actually remember but should be Tools > Internet Options > (Under Temporary Internet Files) > Settings. By default this setting should be 300 or more MB, set it to 90MB

2. Once done, clear your cache (Tools > Internet Options > (Under Temporary Internet Files) > Delete Files (check the box delete all offline content) and hit on OK

3. Go to your command prompt (Start > Run > cmd) type the following command to flush your dns records

ipconfig /flushdns

4. Restart your PC and try again.

Don't think Singtel ISP will be very much of help actually if you write in for an explanation. They'll probably inform you that it is either the server's problem or your modem/router.

Alternatively since you're using I.E, I suggest you do a Spyware scan... might be the root of your problem(s). Them buggers just love I.Es btw. Try using Firefox. Problem with I.E is that its model engine is based on old codings so loopholes/exploits are of abundance (thus the easy installation of spyware into the I.E browser ) Guess until I.E 7 appears (with Vista) I.E browsers has its flaws.

Btw Vinz, just to ask, since you are using Vbulletin, I understand that there is a portion where you can have the db cleaned up (not that I am saying it is slow - its pretty fast actually) but since your site is really huge (judging from the number of posts/activity, etc) that might cause a problem or two. If you have phpMyAdmin, use that to compact and clean up the db. Once the rows are in-line, it'll be even faster. (Be sure not to drop your table entries, get the tech support to assist if you're unsure.)

I think you have chosen Midphase as your host correct? If so, get their tech support to modify your SOA records to reflect the following. 1209600 or 2419200 instead of 3600000 seconds (might cause the dns servers to be delayed after being stored in the cache for too long of a period and thus issues like what Justikanz may be experiencing) and also to add a SPF record for you since they're at it (its good for your mail system btw - prevents spoof spams from your domain.)

Alternatively, it could be that all the MySQL ports are used up on your site (its not unlimited btw to prevent any overload of the server you're on) get them to increase your MySQL port count.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by grey_fox; 19th Feb 2006 at 01:45.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Woohoo... Thanks grey_fox. Now you're on the list of people I can ask for advice... bwahhahahah.

Really appreciate the advice.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, Grey_fox... I have like a thousand '???' above my head... I need to find some time to sloooooowly read what you had wrote in order to understand it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast