Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new tank

Feedback Score

My new tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guyz, finally my 2x2(h)x1.5ft (160L) tank system up and running. Tank still bare. Use trickle filter system with sump. All DIY. Intend to setup reef tank. using 2 700l/h pump for internal circulation. Just measure tank sg at 1.022 and stable. Bought the tropic marine salt at $93 for 150 gal from Marine Life. Izzit priced ok? Now need advise what to do next. Should I add sand and a few live rock now? My water have been cycling for 2 days.Can I start seeding those liquid bacteria for my trickle/sump filter? Currently using JBJ 2x PL (65k and actinic). Should I add one more set or go all the way for MH eg. giessman? For this setup need skimmer? Intend to DIY skimmer too. Been keeping FW setups for years, including discus so know the importance of patience. Anyway, why not many ppl post here, seems like not many SW aquaristlah. Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Welcome to the marine side! (or the Dark Dide, as Kel would put it, hehe)

First off, what kind of system are you planning to use? Plenum, DSB or Berlin, or a combi of all these? IMHO, sand would be next. Wash the sand thoroughly to get rid of silt and dirt, add in and perhaps a capful or two of bacteria to kick-start the live sand bed. Wait out a few days, then gradually add live rock. However, I think it's better to use a protein skimmer before you add the live rock. Some people cure theirs, but if you take the trouble (and if you drive) to be careful with the LR, you can place them directly in the tank with no problems. Oh yes - what water did you use to fill your tank up with? If you didn't use distilled or RO water, it's a good idea to use a phosphate sponge before you do anything else. I had a diatom outbreak - learnt it the hard way.

Regards,
    Hong Yee

Feedback Score
    Can someone explain what is DSB and berlin method ? I wonder what kind of filtration system my tank is adopting. Basically, I have a Eheim external cannister filtration system and many live rock in the 2ft tank. So what kind is that ?

Feedback Score
    Alamak Simon, my tank still botak, also want to see pics. Ok lah.

The whole tank

DIY Trickle/Sump Filter

Overflow Box

Hydrometer dead on 1.022

View from top

Anyway how, ok or not? I think I will need the phospate sponge.Izzit commonly found at marine lfs? Me intend to use berlin system. Will add sand after getting the phosphate sponge.In the mean time will DIY skimmer b4 adding live rock.Will update after adding live rock. Anyway, the corals and fishes, waaaah, looks greatat the lfs.But must control lah, cannot jump queue.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyway how, ok or not? I think I will need the phospate sponge.Izzit commonly found at marine lfs? Me intend to use berlin system. Will add sand after getting the phosphate sponge.In the mean time will DIY skimmer b4 adding live rock.Will update after adding live rock. Anyway, the corals and fishes, waaaah, looks greatat the lfs.But must control lah, cannot jump queue.
    Setiardi, Firstly, welcome to the dark side.. hehehe.. Berlin system is basically using only mainly Live rocks and DSB to maintain the filtration. IMO, try to go for a combination of filtration methods. e.g., in my case, me using DSB, Live rocks, Protein skimmer and internal filter and sump for my 4ft tank. Yes, a bit kaisu u may say.. but me taking not chances..pls understand that nitrogen cycle in marine is very impt and unless u introduce live stock (fish or rocks), u will not get the maturing of filters... and i prefer to use the natural method rather than using chemicals such as bottle bacteria.. how to speed up your cycling process, get some used filter wool from SW aquarist.. me can help in this.. if u want.. PM me..we arrange from there.

Hi guyz, finally my 2x2(h)x1.5ft (160L) tank system up and running. Tank still bare. Use trickle filter system with sump. All DIY. Intend to setup reef tank. using 2 700l/h pump for internal circulation. Just measure tank sg at 1.022 and stable.
    1.022 is fine...

Bought the tropic marine salt at $93 for 150 gal from Marine Life. Izzit priced ok?
    well, i find that it is a bit ex.. coz me using coralife synthetic salt.. cost abt $55-60 for 20kg of salt
    at petmart. anyway, for maturing my tank, i would use the lower quality salt like red sea to get my filter up and going and then change the entire water once the filter is up and ready and use the coralife. i know some aquarist here used more expensive quality.. but at the end of the day, personal preference.

Now need advise what to do next. Should I add sand and a few live rock now? My water have been cycling for 2 days.
    try reading the article below. This is very impt coz the actual cycle last up to 28 days. During this period of cycling, anything goes it is bound to meet its maker and the irony thing is that, your filter is not started till u add in live stock. what i suggest is that u get a bottle of liquified invertebrate food and empty the contents inside and let the tank cycle. after which, add a couple of fishes, e.g. damsels to test out the tank. after a week, then slowly add a couple of live rocks.
    setting up marine tank

do get some books to learn more abt the hobby first.. i always advocate this.. coz it is more coz effective that way.. u wun learn it the hard way like i do..
    marine books

Can I start seeding those liquid bacteria for my trickle/sump filter? Currently using JBJ 2x PL (65k and actinic). Should I add one more set or go all the way for MH eg. giessman? For this setup need skimmer? Intend to DIY skimmer too. Been keeping FW setups for years, including discus so know the importance of patience. Anyway, why not many ppl post here, seems like not many SW aquaristlah. Thanks in advance!
    I'm not too sure that PL is able to penetrate to that depth.. depending on the type of corals that u are keeping.. i would recommend that u go for MH if u are keeping hard corals.. if not, personally, me using 4 x FL for my soft corals.. and as such, PL should be sufficient for soft corals.. i say should be is becoz me never used PL for marine b4 other than for planted.

can someone explain what is DSB and berlin method ? I wonder what kind of filtration system my tank is adopting. Basically, I have a Eheim external cannister filtration system and many live rock in the 2ft tank. So what kind is that ?
    [b]Ivan, DSB is Deep Sand Bed.. a
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Yup. I got a protein skimmer. So I believe my method is a mix method of berlin.... One more question. What will happen if I got too many live rock in the tank ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what problem do u envision that u will encounter??
    i can only think of one. no space for fishes to swim.. dun forget.. corals do come with liverocks..[:]

setairdi, how come your hydrometer is stuck to the glass??
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    My hydrometer got suction cap, so temporary put there to monitor SG.Still newlah, want to see if got changes when I start adding livestock/stuff and also see if it will drift. Anyway anyone can enligthen if DIY skimmer works as well as the retail stuff. Qns 2. What flowrate is consider efficient for the filter coz my tank vol is abt 150L.Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My hydrometer got suction cap, so temporary put there to monitor SG.
    once the salt have been dissolved, let it run for another hour or so and take the measurement...and it should have stablised.. SG dun fluctuate

Anyway anyone can enligthen if DIY skimmer works as well as the retail stuff.
    a DIY skimmer can be just as effective...provided that it is done correctly..

What flowrate is consider efficient for the filter coz my tank vol is abt 150L.Thanks
    u already have a DIY sump right?? depending on the no. of times u want to filter your tank... u can consider getting either a 1046/1048

About your lights - yes, 2 x PL doesn't seem sufficient, unless you wantto restrict your coral selection to low-light softies or sun coral (which can be a pain to feed, in my opinion). You can use 4 x PL if possible, and this can allow you to keep most softies and some hard corals. For the latter though, you should place them higher up in the water column nearer to the light.

Feedback Score
    U guyz got any online store to recommend, local or overseas.Might need to buy stuff online. About tank now add gravel and 2 damsel to start my filter bioload.Will add liverock once water column is stable.

Hi setiardi,

Can i know did you DIY your overflow box or did you purchase it?

Feedback Score
    Me DIY overflow box.Called Soon Heng 88, and they say $150 bucks for a ready-made one, mine cost less than $30. The hardest part for me to jump to SW is to DIY the overflow box! No kidding. Just imagine the What Ifs. What if my outer box not big enough, what if my U pipe not big enuff, what ifs.....Actually I found most website does not say what dimension to make for a particular tank size. Mine I use those rectangular betta containers and a discarded juwel internal filter box! If u know those arcylic shop, then much better.Heard can do 4u if supply dimension.I think somewhere in Eunos.Good Luck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    U guyz got any online store to recommend, local or overseas.Might need to buy stuff online.
    what kind of stuff u talking abt?? most of the equipment can be purchase locally leh.. me have never bought anything online
    About tank now add gravel and 2 damsel to start my filter bioload.Will add liverock once water column is stable.
    get the basic test kits like ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.. u need to monitor the water parameters..[]

Feedback Score
    Abt those sites just want to look ard. Anyway recommend me a MH 150w~175w any type. Need to know the best deals.Possibly LFS, easier to travel. Saw the one at Marine Life entrance tank. Very pro look.Must be very ex.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Abt those sites just want to look ard.
    [b]try this sites
    Aquriacentral.com
    Saltwaterfish.com

Anyway recommend me a MH 150w~175w any type. Need to know the best deals.
    go for 150W.. 175W is too blue.. btw, make sure that the blubs are no more than 10,000K.. some MH blubs are like 20,000K.. which is too blue..

try petmart.. there is taiwanese-made MH.. price wise, i dun know

Feedback Score
    Kelstorm, thanks for the sites, anyway been there.Very good indeed,recommend for guyz who wants to setup marine.Good info. Abt bulb, I do need 10k coz now hav 2x36w PL 65k + actinic.After a lot of thinking, I will go DIY on skimmer.Thought of getting red sea prizm, but will diy a hang-on type myself.Got 2 plans from 2 site but will adjust to what I feel a better design. Will tinker ard and post pics & info once working.Hope it works!!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    After a lot of thinking, I will go DIY on skimmer.Thought of getting red sea prizm, but will diy a hang-on type myself.Got 2 plans from 2 site but will adjust to what I feel a better design. Will tinker ard and post pics & info once working.Hope it works!!!!
    ----------------
    u are welcome.. and when u come out with new designs on DIY skimmer.. do share with us.. i'm sure some of us are interested.. me for one, is interested!!!!!![].. if u want a hang on skimmer.. red sea prizm is the cheapest so far.. and alternative is berlin system..

Feedback Score
    Guyz, my tank now got problem.After slowly build up the bio-load, now 5kg of live rock and 4 damsel, all is well until I add the oceanfree bacteria 8000. I add abt 200l equivalent dose while my tank hold abt 160L. In a matter of 30 minutes my fish are dead.Now I wonder abt my live rock.I'm not capable of doing emergncy wc yet coz my storage tank not ready.This is a matter where I shld follow the saying "don't fix wats not broken". Did 10% wc in morning and did chk in afternoon.Ammonia ard 0.5mg/l slowly creeping up from days b4.Thats why I use the liquid, to bring down ammonia. Wat shld I do now to save my live rock.Another thing to mention,my puny sanders skimmer, spew foam like volcano after add the solution! b4 got abit foam only and now still spewing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast