Images
    Country
    Singapore

Some QNs regarding root monster

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i'm planning to get a packet of Oceanfree Root monster this weekend..those 22 in 1 packets type.....

some questions to ask:

1) how far apart should each rootmonster be inserted to get the maximum effect? ......( i dun wan to waste them if i place them too near..like that maybe need more than 1 packet.. )

2) how deep should i insert them? ......i got a foreground measuring 3ft by ard 1 feet worth of E.tenellus..gravel abt 2inch deep...

i read some threads wif some hobbyist suggesting a small portion of the cone should stick above the gravel..but wouldn't that lead to algae boom if not handled properly..

thanks for answering my noob questions
    i'm ADDicted to this wonderful hobby

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ermm...
    so ur not planning to have base fert i suppose???
    u can try "smashing" the the root monster, spread around sparsely bury 1 inch deep in the gravel...
    i did that for my background and that unknow stem plant nids trimming weekly... its just overgrow till the top... so i suppose its alright to "smash" the root monster

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wat do mean "smashing"?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    He means to break them apart. I've done that on smaller set-ups before. Just smash them up, and use them on the bottom layer before you put your substrate in. If you've already got a substrate, just push them in about an inch into the substrate. Since you've only got 2 inches worth of substrate, you could push them all the way in, if you wanted to.
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i believe they recommend them at 10cm diameters apart.

i reckon they should go as deep as you can place them. roots grow downwards, don't they? and you don't want them wrapping around the fert on near the surface.

your concern on algae bloom is warranted. but i also came across a thread which someone said they use it as a trace mix. can't remenber how he did it.
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There are 2 types of Root Monsters in the market:
    - chunky type (10 or 22 pieces per pack?)
    - loose type (50g pack?)

Not sure if you enjoy using a tweezer to push down the loose type into the gravel.

Or you can try the earlier smashing methods suggested.
    They are slow-release fertiliser, so not sure if the smashing will break it up and release the fert faster into the water?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I just push them down as far as I can... And I place them near the plants, the more plants that area had, the more Root Monster cones I insert there... I used the 22 for a 4ft x 2ft tank... I think I can do more... Was advised not to break them up as the little pieces may not have equal portions of the ferts...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oic..ty for all valuable ideas....
    KF, the type i refering to are the chunky type, cone cone shape type...

guess i'll just play safe and insert all the way in..and i do believe 10cm apart is a good distance. can help me safe some quantity also..