Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Plecos eating my plants... your views?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Plecos eating my plants... your views?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    holes started appearing on the leaves of my plants, ever since i got my first pleco! now one each of L200, L128, L134 & L248.

plants are nanas, java ferns and amazon swords. base of amazon swords being bitten, leaves of java ferns too. but for nanas, notice that though bitten, new leaves are coming out.

very sayang to get rid of the plecos, so we decided to keep them, just replace the plants whenever necessary. will "holey plant leaves", though not rotting, affect water condition?

thought of putting all plecos into 2ft tank and all corys into 3ft tank, but 2ft seems to be too small for 4 to 6 plecos to live in comfort?

your views? tks!

oh, we do feed them with zucchini, cucumbers and romaine lettuce once every couple of days.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    get good quality plastic plants.
    convert the entire tank for a pleco and vegetarians tank.

This way you will concentrate all your plant eaters in one tank and solve the plant problem from everywhere.

Tetra plastic plants are pretty realistic looking.

If you already have a few well planted tanks it is worth foresaking one for these great fish

and 2ft too small !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    coryfav, this might help your plant to grow better[] []
    sometime u can't have all in good place, eg if u have plant u will have snail....etc.
    My suggestion is buy those quick growing and easy plant for your tank.

I have the same problem in my tank too! Heehee.

Anyway,I am just letting my plec be for now. Some of my plant's leaves have become a "web"! Like only the veins of the leaves are left. This is one naughty plec. []
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7168/Bleeder4.jpg

Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance :: Carl Sandburg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bleeder, prob with my "webby" plants cos i planted nicely for my beloved corys and then plecos came along and destroyed the "beauty"![:0]
    i like my plecos, but i love my corys more.[]

kunner, funny thing is my fastest-growing plant is water wisteria or is it indian fern(?). so thin and fragile-looking, i think overnight with the plecos will become botak![]
    talking about plants and snails, i came across my first (and only one so far) snail 2 weeks ago. found a 5mm ramshorn(?) in my 3ft tank. got rid of it. []

lsz, thanks for your advice. i started off with plastic plants and maybe still have a bag of them somewhere. wanted to throw/give them away once, can't remember what happened. yeah, some of these plastic plants are very nice. when i first took a pic of my tank, my colleagues thought they're real plants![]

anyway, late last night i noticed 2 of my cory pandas with tailrot and quickly moved them into an empty betta tank, rest of pandas into my 1.5ft tank (best water condition among all my tanks) and the rest of my corys into the 3ft tank. then i cleaned up the tank and did big water change.

(long story: bought 10 pandas, put into new quarantine tank. got 1 casualty and quickly moved the rest into my 1.5ft tank where they're very happy. then hands became itcy and moved them to 2ft tank to give them bigger space. now 2 more victims and had to move the rest back to 1.5ft tank. i think the pandas are better off in that tank, confirmed!)

exchanged almost all the plants in the 2ft tank with the "holey" ones from the 3ft tank, and moved my plecos over. yeah, now my 4 plecos are in the 2ft tank. too small? you mean not enough hidding places? no choice now leh... have to work out the best i can with the present situation then...[:] may get some more plants to create some more "homes" for them.

(aiyah, i must say i was so surprised that plecos are so easy to net!!![:0] i had thought i'd need the whole night to catch them![] )

bleeder, once again, we did think of just letting the plecos bite the plants and then replace later. now the plecos have their own tank, they can do what they want lah![]
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ha Ha! Can see u got a few healthy and hungey pleco. Hey! Why not try to feed them cucumber??? Try to feed them full and they will not bother your plants lah![:].
    The plant u mention I think is water wisteria. Fern can't grow that fast. [:]
    Got any chance to post some of your plecos picture here. Very much want to see them ler.[] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    kunner, photos are in my yahoo album lah. no more energy to look into homepages, for the moment.[]

yeah, i do feed my plecos with cucumber, zucchini and romaine lettuce, but only once every few days cos i'll always find bits of veg every morning and have to run a net through the water to clean up![:0] oh, thanks for confirming that my plant's water wisteria.

can't wait to get home to see if my plecos are ok in the 2ft. they're alright this morning though.[:]

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    pandas having problems again?? sigh..i understand how u feel, flor..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi
    moved to planted tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    kelv, all because of my itchy hands lah! now pandas will permanently stay in the 1.5ft tank.

dea, i'm working towards that (though pretty slowly) but have responsibility to keep my present lot of fish happy and alive first.[]
    meanwhile, smaller tanks are going towards "more plants than fish".

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [] [] dea, realized you're telling us this thread had been moved to "Planted Tanks"! paiseh!

kunner, some pics of my plecs in http://arofanatics.com/members/coryf...mbers/coryfav/
    and water wisteria is out now, cos the pleco/s chewed at the stem along the gravel surface and sent the whole plant floating!

lsz, pleco tank is now a 3ft, est 40gal. and yes, plastic plants, here i come!

thanks, all!