Country
    Singapore

News: 'Lost world' found here in SE Asia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Pretty amazing...

High up in Indonesia's mountain rainforests, scientists have discovered an astonishing, mist-shrouded "lost world" that includes animals and plants never seen by man before.

"It is as close to the Garden of Eden as you are going to find on earth," said Mr Bruce Beehler ....
    read on at http://www.todayonline.com/articles/99831.asp

More reports if you search Google News...
    Last edited by juggler; 8th Feb 2006 at 12:44.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Amazing... golden-mantled tree kangaroo!

Report and some photos from National Geographic...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Photos of Six-wired Bird of Paradise (Parotia berlepschi), Golden-fronted Bowerbird (Amblyornis flavifrons) and undescribed honeyeater from Conservation International...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    More photos from ABC News...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Now that they are disscovered, hope these people are wise enough to preserve these treasures otherwise I prefer this places remain un-discovered.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think they are better discovered or else more forest will be cut down. At least they stand a chance of being conserved or studied.

Indonesia’s tropical forests—the largest and richest in Asia—are in crisis. These forests are being lost at the alarming rate of over five million acres per year—the equivalent of 300 football fields per hour. As these forests disappear, so does habitat for threatened species, including orangutans, tigers, and rhinos. Much of Indonesia’s forest ....
    From this report http://nature.org/wherewework/asiapa...st_summary.pdf and many others...

Quixotic: Thanks for the wonderful links!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    wel its not amazing that these animals still persist... i believe that there are many more out there just not discovered..

we once found a relatively new mammal skull on the shores and even the profs don kow what the hell it is.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow... A marsupial in asia... Call me a suaku, bit I didn't know there are marsupials outside Australia...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there are diffusion of animal groups across both sides of the wallace line.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In times before the shifting of the continental plates, and when the sea level was much lower I believe New Guinea & Australia form one huge land mass.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, but the existance of mammals killed the marsupials of Asia... Just glad that there are some left in New Guinea...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes New Guinea and Australia forms Sahuland. In fact there is no surprise about the marsupial, as New Guinea is east of Wallace. However we do have ancient elephants (and little people) that have crossed the line into Flores.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Yup, but the existance of mammals killed the marsupials of Asia... Just glad that there are some left in New Guinea...
    eh? marsupials also mammals hor

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah, but they warrant a new category on their own liao, right?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    category?? no lah..i think you mean order..
    yes they are mammals.. order marsupialia
    family includes, Caenolestidae, Didelphidae, Dasyuridae, Notoryctidae, Myrmecobiidae,Peramelidae, Phalangeridae, Vombatidae, and Macropodidae.

Remembering the teeth structure of each famil was a royal pain in the ***, and this was only one order... talk about 18 other orders!!

wonder if this will form a new family.. interested to see its teeth structure now...kekeke..
    Last edited by ranmasatome; 8th Feb 2006 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow! getting too chim for me

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    if you talk design to me i will also karang kaboh..lol..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Please!... I am not a biologist! It is already very good I can tell marsupials apart from the other mammals! Haha...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    har?? never say you were loh... its just additional detail if you wanted to know..kekeke.. i put in layman terms okay..

family includes rat opossums, true opossums, some native cats/mice e.g. tas devil etc..., marsupial moles, numbats, bandicoots, koalas, wombats, and kangaroos/wallabies

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not very long ago, in geological terms and in times when humans were already around, the area bordered by the Nicobar Islands, Palawan Island, Sulawesi and Bali (in essence the whole Malacca Straits and South China Sea) was land. How else would elephants have reached Borneo and tigers Bali, or rasboras Java and stink badgers Palawan?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast