Co2 : Cylinder ( up the co2 to 3-4bps
    Base : Dennerle soil with fert
    Ph : 6.8-7
    Kh : 2
    Fishes : Cardinal/Rummy abt 100 +2 autum angel
    Plant : DW with nana, fen and Taiwan moss. HC as foreground
    Last water change Monday.

Questions
    1. The base soil/Hc/taiwan moss were covered with a green layer on some parts.(sori cant show tank pictures). it was smelly while i am getting rid of it. Could this be Algea?

2. I had try to clear as much as i could for the last 2 day but it appear again. how could i get rid, prevent it and the cause . I would like to keep all the plant if possible.

3. As a beginner, pls teach me in layman term.

Thanks for the time on read it.
    Last edited by benny; 11th Feb 2006 at 01:52. Reason: fix smiley

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mecedesfish
    Questions
    1. The base soil/Hc/taiwan moss were covered with a green layer on some parts.(sori cant show tank pictures). it was smelly while i am getting rid of it. Could this be Algea?

2. I had try to clear as much as i could for the last 2 day but it appear again. how could i get rid, prevent it and the cause . I would like to keep all the plant if possible.

3. As a beginner, pls teach me in layman term.

Thanks for the time on read it.
    It sounds like Blue Green Algae (BGA) to me. To be exact, it is a kind of bacteria. Toxic and no fishes will eat it. Dose NO3 and PO4, follow by 3 days total blackout will kill it if in serious condition. During blackout period, advisable to use aeration. After the blackout, do a huge water change and resume normal dosing.

Increase your NO3 and PO4 fertilization regime. Usually the cause of BGA outbreak.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1. Definately BGA. Read this.

You have to get the chemical called KNO3, Potassium Nitrate. It can be found in local gardening centres, just ask the counter and they should know. If not, drop by Nature Aquarium which is opposite Thomson Medical Centre, and you should be able to get it there.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    1. Definately BGA. Read this.

You have to get the chemical called KNO3, Potassium Nitrate. It can be found in local gardening centres, just ask the counter and they should know. If not, drop by Nature Aquarium which is opposite Thomson Medical Centre, and you should be able to get it there.
    I was recommended to add Seachem Prime and Flourish. Some of the LSF think that the plant inside the tank is not enough while others feel that the water is not stable because of the new base fert.

What do you expertise think, change 20% water every 2 days and add Seachem Prime and flourish only for a week or get more plant or..............?

I am not sure what is the`green layer which like a thin fine skin cover on the DW that i peel off 2 hrs ago. I have also lower the light to 6 hrs with 2x36 watt PL

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I reckon dosing solely Flourish is not enough because Flourish has low content of K. In addition to flourish, you may need to supplement with Seachem equilibrium, NO3 and/or PO4. Seachem Prime is only a water conditioner.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know why the LFS reccomended you to add Prime.

Are you clear about fertilisation of your tank? 6 hours is too short. Flourish alone is not enough like albert said.

Solve your BGA first, and the LFS is right about having good plant mass. It's important.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just a simple advice....seem that ur plants can survive without fertilizer for a week or so.... do water change and let it stabilize..

i usually start to add fertilizer after 1 or 2 weeks i plants.... coz i believe they wun readily take it and it would cause algae.... correct me if wrong..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession
    just a simple advice....seem that ur plants can survive without fertilizer for a week or so.... do water change and let it stabilize..

i usually start to add fertilizer after 1 or 2 weeks i plants.... coz i believe they wun readily take it and it would cause algae.... correct me if wrong..
    I had change the H2O at 1830hrs, this was done after i had brought some more new plant from Teo and planted it.

From your experience, i intent to change abt 20% H2O again this sunday if i am free for the coming week(tue and thur). Any valuable advise?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mecedesfish
    I had change the H2O at 1830hrs, this was done after i had brought some more new plant from Teo and planted it.

From your experience, i intent to change abt 20% H2O again this sunday if i am free for the coming week(tue and thur). Any valuable advise?

Thanks
    change tha tank water and hope that i can get rid of it. some one got another advise, dose it with abt 6-8 250mg antibiotic. Those which we take especially when we fall sick but duno where to buy it.

I had also added ADA Phyton Git abt 120 drops. Will Change water on Wed or thur.

Thank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by albert
    I reckon dosing solely Flourish is not enough because Flourish has low content of K. In addition to flourish, you may need to supplement with Seachem equilibrium, NO3 and/or PO4. Seachem Prime is only a water conditioner.
    Hi albert,
    It is confirmed BGA. Anyway I get the Erythromycin (antibiotic) which i will be applying to the tankwater. I will montoring it for the next few days. Hope thing will be back to normal especially the taiwan moss.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For BGA, all you need to do is to dose with excess NO3 and PO4 followed by 3 days total blackout. By the fourth day, most of the BGA will be gone. Do huge water change, and dose generously NO3 and PO4. Insufficient of these two usually caused BGA.

Using antibotics is only short-term solution to BGA. Get your fert regime right is the key. Dose generously as excess NO3 and PO4 does not caused algae, which has been repeatly mentioned by Tom Barr. Of course not forgetting all other macro and micro nutrients and CO2 level.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by albert
    For BGA, all you need to do is to dose with excess NO3 and PO4 followed by 3 days total blackout. By the fourth day, most of the BGA will be gone. Do huge water change, and dose generously NO3 and PO4. Insufficient of these two usually caused BGA.

Using antibotics is only short-term solution to BGA. Get your fert regime right is the key. Dose generously as excess NO3 and PO4 does not caused algae, which has been repeatly mentioned by Tom Barr. Of course not forgetting all other macro and micro nutrients and CO2 level.
    hi,
    with the dose of antibotics for 2 days (abt 2000mg) and a 50% of tank water change alternate 2 days for 1 week, I have sucessfully control my BGA . I hope that it is not a short-term solution,

Looking ahead, i hope that i will not encounter this kind of BGA problem again. But if i would encounter it again, trust me i will use your method and advise.

Cheers

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Once your NO3 bottoms out, you would get the BGA again. Rather than waiting for it to happen, why not just dose? Plants grow very well/fast with good nutrients and high stable CO2 levels.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Once your NO3 bottoms out, you would get the BGA again. Rather than waiting for it to happen, why not just dose? Plants grow very well/fast with good nutrients and high stable CO2 levels.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Peter,

i am using Dennerle A1 everyday,Gold, S7 and E30 whenever H2o change. Had also brought TR 7 yesterday but not use it yet.

Do you think i need to dose NO3?

Thank
    Last edited by mecedesfish; 21st Feb 2006 at 11:57.