Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Advice on fish selection for no-filter tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i've just set up a 15"x10"x9" planted-tank. Wanting it to be as low tech as possible, i've decided to do away with co2 and filter. Using a 9w PL for the tank. temperature ranges from 26-28C.

i've packed the tank with crypts (and hornwort for the time being) and am now considering what fishes i can have in there.

Some species that i have in mind are Boraras merah, Boraras brigittae, Boraras uroplthalmoides, Danio choprai, cherry barbs, endlers ( ). Will these species make it in the tank?

And also, any recommendations? I'm thinking of just 6-7pieces, max size of maybe 3inches.

Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    all the fish look good, just make sure the water is good and keep the number of fish to minimum.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Without filter, I think it will be quite a challenge. How do you ensure good water quality? I think even the plants will suffer.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    and also you need to feed them minimally if that amount of fishes were to be inside that filter-less tank....
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually for low tech tanks, I think it is best to include the filter (even hang on filter will do or sponge filter) since it reduces the water maintenance frequency. Else u would need to consider how frequent u want to do water change.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Going filterless means more plants and much less fish. Low feeding.

NO3 will probably be comparatively sufficient. Don't dose PO4. That'll drive up the plants NO3 needs. I suggest a monthly dose of Seachem equilibrium.

Get fishes that are used to stagnant still waters. Bettas and gouramis are good choices. I would suggest you get some Sparkling gouramis. A handful of shrimp will make sure algae and uneaten food is kept in control.

Some duckweed or frogbits will keep NO3 under control.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Let's wait to see if Juggler sees this thread. He has a couple of filterless tanks and they look nice.

The fish population would have to be small and they will have to be relatively less active, thus, danios, barbs and livebearers should be avoided, if possible.

Plant density should be HIGH. And floating plants would help to adsorb excess nitrates...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm currently cycling the tank now, fishless way. Just to make sure i have some BB in there before introducing any fishes.

my current time-line is to cycle the tank for 3weeks before introducing fishes and then perhaps another 2mths later, some cherry shrimps.

i had intially thought of going it without fish, but with the mosquito threat, i decided to put in some fishes, just to be safe. unless i can contaminate the water somehow (with lead or copper?) so that i get plant growth but no mozzie.

Sparkling gouramis = Trichopsis pumila? Are they readily available at LFS? and also are they compatible with cherries?

thankyou all.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hongrui
    Sparkling gouramis = Trichopsis pumila? Are they readily available at LFS? and also are they compatible with cherries?
    Not a problem with cherry shrimps. Pygmy sparkling gourami only grows up to 3 cm. And if you have shrimplets, make sure there is plenty of moss and they will be fine.

Besides this economical option, you can also consider licorice gourami if your water parimeters are acidic and soft. Check the AQ gallery for some pictures.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The Trichopsis pumila has certainly caught my eye, will go hunting for it the next few weeks. Any recommendations where should i start looking for them? Eco, WuHu etc?

thankyou

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hongrui
    The Trichopsis pumila has certainly caught my eye, will go hunting for it the next few weeks. Any recommendations where should i start looking for them? Eco, WuHu etc?

thankyou
    Be warn. They make croaking noise at night sometimes (it's not that loud), but they have beautiful coloration when conditioned properly. The above photo does not do it justice.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    if keeping the Trichopsis, then use more floating plant! i had 2 pairs of paro and 10 pc of boraras in a 1 ft container, a few mini lotus and the surface was fully covered by floating plants...no problem at all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    They make croaking noise at night sometimes (it's not that loud)
    that's all right with me. Thanks for the warning tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTree
    ...and the surface was fully covered by floating plants
    okay, will take note. I'll probably be using hornworts; duckweeds are weeds, while the long roots of water hycainth and water lettuce get tangled up with everything, especially so in such a shallow tank

Thankyou!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the trichopsis pumilus are really nice, small and undemanding fishes, moreover beautiful....and they love frozen bloodworms too...i think they are very ideal for your tank...

i got them from colourful tropical aquarium last time, the one beside NA...try your luck there...
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm all for going filterless, but for the love of god PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE watch your bioload. Or you'll end up like my giant green block of nitrates.

Other than that, sounds good.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by XnSdVd
    ... please watch your bioload.
    i've decided on just 4 pieces, 2 pairs if i can somehow sex them.

thanks for the reminder