Images
    Country
    Singapore

1 gal pico

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

I saw this 1 gallon pico belonging to a guy Mike at nano.com.
    this is amazing isn't it.
    Wonder what is that one [or more?] pcs of equipment he used behind the tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    swee.. nicenice.. wat equpiments u useing?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not his lah AlanNg. Pics taken from another forum www.nanotank.com/ .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow!! This is a miniture beauty!!!! I would also love to know what's needed for this set up. No fishes, just corals right?

By the way, pico is smaller than nano?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    Wow!! This is a miniture beauty!!!! I would also love to know what's needed for this set up. No fishes, just corals right?

Cheers,
    just look at the watch he placed beside the tank can't believe it!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From what I can make out of it. He's using a hang on filter for sure. But judging from the size of the watch. It's got to be a really small one too.

Given the light requirements, I wonder how is the tank kept cool? Probably not for our warmer climates.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

guys, here is the answer from the man himself, mikeguerrero

"
    Hey Reefers,

First of all I'd like thank all those that took the time to vote; you brought back democracy to nanotank I'd also like to thank DJconn for continuing the contest and getting us through it.

And to my little brother, I haven't caught you in posts; something I've been wanting but still too far away. However, my pico says a lot on how much I love reefing.

My pico is quite simple yet unique in it's parts. I started off with a 1 gallon curved glass tank; I like the look of the curved tanks. Then I added live sand from my cured tanks to the bottom; about 3 full cups. I then added 1.5 pounds of cured live rock from Ming at Atlantis aquarium in Fremont, Ca.

I then visited James at Aquascene, Hayward CA and purchased many cool frags; it was my birthday and my company bought me gift certificates, I was sort of tired of getting dress shirts and ties every year. His selection is great and I love the way he has all his pieces in like a mini sandbox for me to pick and choose.

My pico consist of all sorts of colored button polyps three mushrooms; spotted, green and orange. One baby yuma, baby torch coral, baby hammer coral; mostly frags that are tiny and easy to work with. I also I added small colony of GSP and organ pipe.

The tank was powered by the Aqua Mini filter, 50 watt titanium heater and the mini coral light 50/50 18 watts.

I've actually decided to retire this cute little tank in hopes of working on a bigger project and hey since I won this title, better to retire this tank before my little bro comes at me with a rematch; you guys and gals don't know how relentless he can be on a come back fight.

Sugar, regarding your question on plans for my new light. I've been wanting my little brother to set up a true SPS tank at his pad; because my wife might kill me if I set up another tank in my living room.

Maybe now I can fly down to Orange County Anaheim and donate my prize and force him to spend, and spend I love setting up tanks especially when I'm not the one explaining to my wife why theres another coral in my cube; she got tired of hearing that my live rock was sprouting new life. Only worked a couple of times.

Anyways we will see what Dragons girlfriend says when she hears she might have to do more water changes; Dragon has her maintaining the 12 gallon cube you see in his threads.

Once again, thank you to all that voted for me.

Sincerely,

Mike
    "

More info......

"
    Here is a snapshot of my pico:

The tank is only 1 gallon of catalina salt water; I do a 50 percent water change every Sunday. I would dose
    with a kent marine starter kit if I missed a water change. Just a couple drops of Calcium, Strontium and
    Iodine. I have 3 cups of live sand; courtesy of my two cubes. I have 1.5 pounds of cured live rock.
    Several button polpys came in assorted colors. Three mushrooms; spotted green, orange and hairy. Baby
    orange yuma, small colony of organ pipes, GSP. And two corals; torch and hammer, they are small frags. Two
    mini gobies; redstriped and orange. Small branch of red macroalgae.

The pico is driven by Coralife mini 50/50 18 watts, run the light 6 hours a day in the evening after work
    hours. Titanium 50 watt heater keeps the tank warm in the night. Filtered by Aquaclear 10 (mini), with 1/2
    chemipure.

Nitrite 0
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 0
    Ph 8.3
    Specific gravity 1.025
    Temp 81 F degrees

Sincerely,

Mike Guerrero
    "

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Wow!! can get over how sweet this tank is... dammmmm!

so for nanos... no skimmer/FR required?? just change water and change water?? wouldn't taht make the water parameters unstable??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Lovely tank. Its amazing his torch coral is not stinging the others. Take a closer look and ur'll see that beside the 2 LPS, this is basically a soft coral tank with many buttons and shrooms. Very nice tank nevertheless.

Ranma, if u get clean water (RO/DI) and ensure ur salinity is the same as the main tank, I'll say its not a big issue. In actual fact, water changing is the best method to remove NO3.

Note that he is using chemipure in his filter. Maybe that's his trick. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...fm?pcatid=4177

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Take note, there are 2 'Chemipure' available in the market. The original one from the US and the made in SG.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I heard that ChemiPure is not the miracle that it's touted to be.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Its useful as a backup.

JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cheers,
    Yup, pico is -12, nano is -9.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Darylyap
    Yup, pico is -12, nano is -9.
    Pardon my ignorance... but what is -12 and -9? Some kind of negative measuring units?

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pardon my ignorance... but what is -12 and -9? Some kind of negative measuring units?

Cheers,
    -12 meaning 1 000 000 000 000 th of a meter or 10 to the power of -12 meter. that is the exact math definition but does not mean the same when used to describe size of tank here.

nano and pico used here is basically to indicate that the size of the tank is relative MUCH smaller than conventional size aquarium tanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks peter for the explanation.

Peter, have you started your chemistry on your tank yet?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Darylyap
    Thanks peter for the explanation.

Peter, have you started your chemistry on your tank yet?
    I hv just put in the LRs yesterday. About 30% by volume.
    was amazed to see the water becomes crystal clear this morning.
    but i think still early to tell, must need patience, and resist the temptation to put in lifes too fast. Have not got all the necessary chemistry test kits yet. Thinking of letting the tank cycles for a few months first.
    Mine is about 4~5 times the size of the pico shown here.

Got something doubts to consult you.
    If i were to let the tank cycles with just LRs and sand and providing the necessary amount of light, about 4 w/g, will the nitrates level eventually reach a steady state value which is hopefully near zero? What i am thinking is that nitrates level will initially shoot up due to the conversion from ammonia by the bacteria, then algae will form due to the stimulation from the light [using a 18 w blue/white compact], then algae will absorb nitrates and so on?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi peter, i refer to JC's advice on the lighting, which is minimum or no light during cycling.
    personally i didn't turn on my lights for the 1st 4 months, reason being i was not living in my house then (before customary marriage).
    turned on the lights on the 5th month for 4 hrs daily.
    even now it's only 6 hrs daily.
    i'm from old school, best way to reduce nitrates is water change.

Guess that's why i'm here to unlearn & relearn

Hi JC, would you recommend lights on for 12hrs?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Turn on the lights for 12hrs is not needed unless u have corals. The only effective way to use algae to remove No3 is to create a refugium where u cultivate alot of algae (best will be Caulerpa). The refugium will also add as a area where all ur copepod will not be disturbed and eaten by ur fishes.

Some links below that are gd read.
    http://www.reefs.org/library/article/p_ferguson.html
    http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aqu...a/aa041400.htm
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/refugium.htm

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by d2hpeter
    Got something doubts to consult you.
    If i were to let the tank cycles with just LRs and sand and providing the necessary amount of light, about 4 w/g, will the nitrates level eventually reach a steady state value which is hopefully near zero? What i am thinking is that nitrates level will initially shoot up due to the conversion from ammonia by the bacteria, then algae will form due to the stimulation from the light [using a 18 w blue/white compact], then algae will absorb nitrates and so on?
    Yes. U will get alot of algae but these will be pest algae like diatom, Blue-green algae and hair algae and I doubt they will be able to remove the NO3 to zero.

The 3 best methods to remove NO3 will be
    1) DSB
    2) Denitrator
    3) Refugium

Cheers
    JC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast