Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find healthy Tiger Barbs (Normal coloration)?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Where to find healthy Tiger Barbs (Normal coloration)?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi hi... I am looking for tiger barbs in their natural colouration, the yellow and black type, not the green or albino type...

Those they sell as feeders are damn weak and can die off quickly... I am looking for a relatively big school of ~20-30...

Let me know if you seen any healthy ones on sale...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Errr... The ones I got from my friend were sold as feeders and they were in pretty good condition. OTOH, that was during the LH fever and feeders were short in supply, and healthy fishes could have been sold as feeders to meet demand.

Try the arowana shops... maybe they'll stock healthier ones for the arowana's sake.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... Seems like can only get them as feeders eh... Pity... They are great schoolers and are very playful...

My 30 got reduced to 5 in about a week... Sad to see more of them float the next morning...

Will try to find arowana shops... If I ever see them...

Thanks...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You live in Jurong? Try the 8-star Aquarium, they have tons of feeder fish of all kinds, usually.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Really can only find them as feeders?

Anyway, where is 8-star?? Oh, yes, I stay at Jurong West...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I think the tiger barb are so "commonn" nowadays that hardly anyone wants to buy them as ornamental fish, hence the "demotion" of their status to feeders. I'm sure you can get them as ornamental fish in better condition... you just got to wait for the forum replies. Else check with friendly LFS's to see if they can order from their usual fish suppliers.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    8-star is the JE Ah-Beng LFS lar... The one Nic was talking about when you first went to Fu Wo.
    Btw, I think Mainland has a tank full of them... I remember seeing it on yesterday when I went there...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    C328 has them for sale as regular offering. Ask Mrs. Toh.

Wu Hu also has them too. Ask Ben.

I have also seen them at Sam Yick Marine Parade. Best not to ask how much.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    C328 has normal coloured tigers for sale meh? I always find the green ones and the normal coloured ones in feeder bags...

Eh, Vincent... Mainland is TOO far away...

And I still have no idea where is the ah-beng LFS...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Polyart at Clementi Ave 2 also has them. Buy at your own risk.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh no... No buying from them... Eh, personal lah...

Anyway, not buying feeder tigers liao... All my tigers died liao...

Really want to find those fish meant for sale for fishkeeping... I want healthy tigers!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Oh no... No buying from them... Eh, personal lah...

Anyway, not buying feeder tigers liao... All my tigers died liao...

Really want to find those fish meant for sale for fishkeeping... I want healthy tigers!

keeping of exotic animals like wild cats is illegal in singapore...expecially the endangered tigers...tsk tsk tsk.. justikanz...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm.. MAD Tanks has a show tank full of very healthy barbs. He's not selling but I'm sure he wouldn't mind telling you where he got them. And while you're there visit the art gallery

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You still looking for the Tiger Barbs?

Saw a tank of them in 1 of the 2 LFS in the wet market near Arising Aquarium in AMK, at lunchtime today.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, still looking for them... But AMK too far away!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The problem with Tiger Barbs is that they die pretty quickly if not properly acclimatised. I could never keep them alive for a long period of time.

Thomas, your best bet are the feeders. Get the ones that are active, bring them home, and do drip acclimatisation. Good luck.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Those 'tiger barbs' sold as feeders are actually an Indochinese-Malayan species known as Systomus partipentazona, which has been thriving as ferals in local streams and reservoirs. They have very little red colouring (only a slight tinge on the dorsal) and their body shape is more streamlined and they are smaller than the Tiger Barbs that are sold as ornamentals proper. The latter was once known as Puntius tetrazona, but has been split into two species: Systomus tetrazona and the other one I can't recall the specific name (need to go home and check), with key differences in the lateral scale count and the amount of red on the fins and snout. The two species are also separated geographically: one originating from Sumatra and the other from Borneo.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    Those 'tiger barbs' sold as feeders are actually an Indochinese-Malayan species known as Systomus partipentazona, which has been thriving as ferals in local streams and reservoirs.
    I was about to suggest go catch the fish yourself in the reservoir.. put a big net on the shallow water bed, put some floating food, wait, and lift.. bingo!
    But ranger will also 'bingo' you. haha..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I do agree as the feeder tiger barbs have little red on their fins and colours are a little faded.

I bought my tiger barbs and swordtails from a shop ("wet market") near the City Harvest Church (Jurong West Extension, around JW st 91/92 if I remember correctly). There are 2 LFS (1 sell ladies accessries as well (buy from them then), 1 look more like LFS) there and they usually do have tiger barbs feeders for sale. If u happen to live near there, can take a look. But not everytime they have them.

Can PM me for directions if u need from me. I actually stay 2-3 bus stops away so can provide u some directions if u need from me.

My tiger barbs did not get to be properly acclimatised but then my tank is a cycled tank with swordtails (also feeders). They were mostly in a bad shape when I got them but only a few died on me (maybe I'm lucky). Now I have given them all away. Only if u ask few months earlier...
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Problem is they usually do not look good in the bags... They look healthy but many will die even before the bag was floating in the tank...

Will try the market stalls... Didn't know JW St91 has them... I stay near there too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast