Thread: my pico

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    There's a new method of curing live rock. The term is "Cooking Live Rock". It doesn't actually cook it like you would cook food, it's just that you store them in a dark container of salt water with the same SG with a pump and air pump ( if I'm not wrong ). Now every week or so, you remove the live rock from that container and slosh and shake it in another container ( pail is preferable ) to remove anything on the live rock. There will be detritus that will come out from the live rock. After doing that, you would again store the live rock just like the beginning, only that the water must have been change to a fresh supply of saltwater. It will take around 3 months time before it is 'cooked'. Learnt this from ReefCentral. Haven't tried it yet.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Sounds like a normal cycling process. Dark container to prevent algae to grow. Pump and air pump for bacteria to grow. Interesting method but takes too long to cure imho.

JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i saw lots of small minute white dot thingy crawling about very fast on the wall of my tank. At times, they dart across the water, the movement similar to those of small brine shrimps.
    Are these good or bad guests?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Probably just some copepod. They are great food source for ur fish. Dun worry abt them.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i see bubbles releasing from sand at various locations in the tank.
    why is this so?

The 2 free Blue mushrooms from Aquamarin have grown to 4~5 times the diameter when i put them in 2 days ago. The color has also changed to reddish-purple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Either some algae doing photosynthesis or if u have a DSB, its working.

JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by solonavi
    Either some algae doing photosynthesis or if u have a DSB, its working.

JC
    You mean N2 gas releasing from the sandbed, can it be so fast? within 2 wks?

As for the algae, the sand seems still white as compared to the LRs which seems to be browner than before. So if it is Photosynthesis, it should be more likely to be from the highest pt on the rocks, nearest to the light, right?

sorry guys, asking lots of questions.
    will try to post some pics soon once i got the camera setup.

BTW, why are the mushrooms growing so fast, almost 4 times the initial size within 2 days! I did not feed or add supplements.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Peter...Any pics?? i'm quite excited to see this..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    will try to post some pics tomorrow.

My sandbed is only 1.5 to 2 inches thick, so think can't be the DSB effect.
    The are some air pocket trapped in the sand when i first setup. Put the sand in first before adding water [FW tank setup procedure] Will this air-pocket clear itself considering the not-so-thick sandbed?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Probably just some copepod. They are great food source for ur fish. Dun worry abt them.

Cheers
    JC
    Does the appearance of these copepods indicate that the water is clear of ammonia and nitrites ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope, they could tolerate certain amount of ammonia and nitrites. Their presence dictate that there is a healthy population of these micro critter and the food source to sustain them.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    It can also be due to the oxygen trapped in the sand bed getting escaped.

JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yup, agree with JC...

peter, very excited to see your tank man!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    got a feeling that it could be diatoms.
    if true, a good sign cos it means the cycling is near completion.
    May be will just hang on and let the diatoms to do the nitrates/phosphates cleaning for me. Then slowly add some algae-eating snails and hermits to tidy the algae abit.

The tank is quite bare now, only the LRs plus the two mushrooms that i got FOC. Warning: The pics may not be impressive

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wat are algae eating hermit crabs?
    Got a blue knuckle hermit, doesn't seem to eat algae leh...

it's ok bro, we get a kick from seeing bare tank, just setup, cycling & matured... transformation in progress...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

pics

pai seh! not very nice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    dont paiseh dont paiseh!!!! SWEEEET!! this is a nice beginning photo.. it will be great to follow up and then next time when your tank looks like SUPER AWESOME.. post this again.. we will all be shocked..kekeke!! it looks like its going along fine... i cant wait to see development on this tank...
    Hmmm.. maybe i should start a pico..hahaha..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    A great start. Hmm... Why u left the hydrometer in that tank? Can remove it after u have taken measurement rite?

Maybe u wan to change ur filter also? Your current one is no gona help much in mechanical filtration. Just my personal opinion.

Do update us, ya! Can't wait to see some nice zoos and soft coral in it!

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A great start. Hmm... Why u left the hydrometer in that tank? Can remove it after u have taken measurement rite?

Maybe u wan to change ur filter also? Your current one is no gona help much in mechanical filtration. Just my personal opinion.

Do update us, ya! Can't wait to see some nice zoos and soft coral in it!

Cheers
    JC
    Hydrometer has got a thermometer attached, want to monitor temperature variation for a few wks. One problem is that temperature during wkends tends to be on the high side since air-con not on. Thinking of getting an electronic timer to program the light not to be on during wkends. Do you guys hv any recommendation on such. Is it reliable if run on battery? Also, is it ok to off light for 2 continuous days in a wk.

My plan for the tank would be all softies and to make it as colorful and vibrant as possible but relatively easy to take-care types. Need to read up more [for choosing the right type] in the mean time while waiting for the nitrates to be depleted.

oh ya, forgot to ask one more thing....are the mushrooms able to survive for a month or two w/o feeding. I hv poured in about a third of the "little bottle" that comes with the MarineEnvironment salt during the tank setup. Read somewhere that mushrooms also consume a bit of nitrates?? true?

saw a snail-like shape on the tank wall yesterday: brown, cone-shaped with 2 parallel white bands, but not affirmative that it is a snail. Is this guy good or bad?
    Last edited by d2hpeter; 24th Feb 2006 at 22:22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Typically, a timer is 24hrs programable only.

Mushroom like most coral can get their energy from photosynthesis athough target feeding will assist in their growth. As to whether mushroom take in NO3, I've not read abt it but I know that Clams do absorp NO3. Oh btw, your tank NO3 will probably rise further instead of deplete. If u wan to monitor if your tank is cycled, you should be checking Nitrites (NO2) instead.

I'll leave the snaill alone. They are useful algea cleaners.

Cheers
    JC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast