Thread: Beginner at work Part 2

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    argg... did i see a ghostly image on the glass???
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    why is the V. Natans so thick? as in each leaf is so thick.. had an impression it would be thinner.
    The entire tank is geared towards demanding plants and you plant all the undemanding ones in the end..haha.. so ironic

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    why is the V. Natans so thick? as in each leaf is so thick.. had an impression it would be thinner.
    The entire tank is geared towards demanding plants and you plant all the undemanding ones in the end..haha.. so ironic
    Think its the angle of the shot la, looks quite thin to me.

Anyways, don't quite get what you mean by
    Please elaborate.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by freezze
    argg... did i see a ghostly image on the glass???
    Lol, that's one of the Wigan's player from yesterday's soccer match against Man Utd.

Or then again, you might be seeing things

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, after finding out my tank's actual size and volume. I have already made amendments to the dosage.

Tank Size: 5 x 2 x 2 feet
    Tank Vol: 566.34 litres / 149.63 gallons (US)
    CO2: Maintained at 30-35PPM daily

Mondays: KNO3 + KH2PO4
    Tuesdays: Traces + Seachem Iron
    Wednesdays: KNO3 + KH2PO4
    Thursdays: Traces + Seachem Iron
    Fridays: KNO3 + KH2PO4
    Saturdays: 50% WC, KNO3 + KH2PO4 + Seachem Potassium
    Sundays: Traces + Seachem Iron

Cycle of composition
    NO3: 4 x weekly
    PO4: 4 x weekly
    K: 4 x weekly (inclusive of 1 major dose from WC on Saturday)
    Fe: 3+1 x weekly (inclusive of Fe from Flourish Potassium)
    Micros: 3 x weekly (Flourish traces OR Flourish OR LUSHGro-Aqua)

Composition of each dosage at any one time.
    KNO3 – 1.6 teaspoon (7.8ml) ~ 9.05PPM
    KH2PO4 (Fleet Enema) - 0.15 teaspoon (1.2ml) ~ 1.42PPM
    K – 5.70PPM from KNO3 + 8.86PPM from Seachem Potassium (100ml) (Saturdays)
    Fe - 0.57PPM from K + 0.27PPM from Seachem Iron (15ML)
    Flourish Trace Elements - 30ML each time. (once finished to move to LUSHGro-AQUA)
    LUSHGro-AQUA – 55ML each time. (once finished to move to Seachem Flourish)
    Flourish – 10ML each time

Compostion of dosage per week
    KNO3 – 36.20PPM
    KH2PO4 – 5.68PPM
    K – 31.66PPM (from KNO3 + Flourish Potassium)
    Fe – 1.38PPM (from Seachem Potassium + Seachem Iron)
    Traces - Mg, Cu, Ca, etc (unknown range - instruction as per Seachem traces of 5ml per 80 litres or LUSHGro-AQUA of 10 ml per 100 litres or Seachem Flourish of 5ml per 250 litres)
    Last edited by grey_fox; 27th Feb 2006 at 17:40.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i mean exactly what i said.. The entire tank is geared towards demanding plants (High dosage, T5 HO lights, High co2) and you plant all the undemanding ones in the end (All the plants presently in your tank are all low maintenance plants)..haha.. so ironic

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    oops...perhaps if you choose riccia or glosso lawn then...

anyway the scape looks good so far and if you want to sell the extra T5's...i'm your man...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i'm not saying theres anything wrong with that.. just taht its ironic..and i find it amusing in a funny sort of way..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm not saying theres anything wrong with that.. just taht its ironic..and i find it amusing in a funny sort of way..
    Yo bro..

Heh. Me newbie la.... not "champion" level like you yet.. so for the time being I guess I'll be contented with what I have managed achieved at the moment.

I guess for me (not too sure about yourself) its always a pleasure to see plants growing (despite the fact that they're low light, etc) than to see plants die off/melt, etc.

Until I reach your "champion" level, I guess I'll do it, step-by-step and progress from there on. Anyways, thanks for all the help and constructive criticism you've provided, appreciate it, really.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by standoyo
    oops...perhaps if you choose riccia or glosso lawn then...

anyway the scape looks good so far and if you want to sell the extra T5's...i'm your man...
    Lol, will keep that in mind.

Anyways, I have loads (really a whole lot....) of HG left, should I plants it all? Roughly, how much time will it take for the HG to spread?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox
    Yo bro..

Heh. Me newbie la.... not "champion" level like you yet.. so for the time being I guess I'll be contented with what I have managed achieved at the moment.

I guess for me (not too sure about yourself) its always a pleasure to see plants growing (despite the fact that they're low light, etc) than to see plants die off/melt, etc.

Until I reach your "champion" level, I guess I'll do it, step-by-step and progress from there on. Anyways, thanks for all the help and constructive criticism you've provided, appreciate it, really.
    Err...okay...i dont know if you're being insinuating or what but i didn't say there was anything wrong with your setup...i'm sure you know the meaning of ironic.. its doesn't mean its wrongly set up or not as good..and i didnt mean to imply that.. people mistake it all the time..
    dont need to call me champion..cos i'm not...and dont need/want people to look at me as one..i hate being patronised...
    honestly..i find it irritating taht people come into the forum and "sifu" this and "shimu" that...i mean WTH!! We are all here to learn and enjoy the hobby.. sure there are different levels of experience..but theres not need for that segregation crap. i dont even see you as a "newbie"..and dont choose to.. you're a fellow hobbyist. end of story.
    i think you've done a great job so far...and i think your set up is wonderful as we can all see you've taken much effort in this... in fact i enjoy seeing the process of how you do it..if it was any other normal "newbie" or whatever you choose to look at yourself as.. they would have given up long ago.

As for the HG, Stuff as much as you can into that tank.. dense planting at the start of a tank is crucial and helps lots.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Err...okay...i dont know if you're being insinuating or what but i didn't say there was anything wrong with your setup...i'm sure you know the meaning of ironic.. its doesn't mean its wrongly set up or not as good..and i didnt mean to imply that.. people mistake it all the time..
    dont need to call me champion..cos i'm not...and dont need/want people to look at me as one..i hate being patronised...
    honestly..i find it irritating taht people come into the forum and "sifu" this and "shimu" that...i mean WTH!! We are all here to learn and enjoy the hobby.. sure there are different levels of experience..but theres not need for that segregation crap. i dont even see you as a "newbie"..and dont choose to.. you're a fellow hobbyist. end of story.
    i think you've done a great job so far...and i think your set up is wonderful as we can all see you've taken much effort in this... in fact i enjoy seeing the process of how you do it..if it was any other normal "newbie" or whatever you choose to look at yourself as.. they would have given up long ago.

As for the HG, Stuff as much as you can into that tank.. dense planting at the start of a tank is crucial and helps lots.
    Hey ranmasatome.

Thanks for the compliment. Yup correct, we're all here to learn and I am not patronising you or being insinuating at all, pardon me if you did think so.

Thanks for clearing up whatever it was, no hard feelings yah? None of my side here to begin with if you are wondering.

Looks like I will try to stuff as much HG as I can as there are 'lobangs' here and there which I think can fit more HG. It's just that the seperation from the main bunch which is a real pain...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    haha..no worries mate.. its forum la... cannot har tone one..so i figured that its better to make things clear..then to guess guess or what.. which is no good.
    Anyway.. when the tank matures more take pics ya..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Definitely will, I'll make it a habit to post it up on a monthly basis heh.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    hey greyfox,

if you plant hg, take out the tennelus...they get tangled up and it will become a mess. they are both invasive and can do ok in low light. take it from a fellow hobbyist...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    after taking almost 3 + hours of planting the tellenus back haha, I think I'll be leaving it for the time being, but I will take you advise and remove them later. Besides the tenellus, what else can I add in? Glosso? HC? Problem is where can I purchase them from if I were to choose something else.

This is just an update of my tank

Last edited by grey_fox; 1st Mar 2006 at 00:00.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You might wanna add in some red plants at the back as a focus plant at the back... Cos your scape now seems to be missing something to capture the attention... It is like when you look at Amano's scape, there is somehow a point in the tank which draws your attention automatically to...

From your photo, my eyes are going around... What do you think?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Grey_fox:

Your 432w of lighting somehow doesn't look bright to me , did you tone down your camera or something ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice
    You might wanna add in some red plants at the back as a focus plant at the back... Cos your scape now seems to be missing something to capture the attention... It is like when you look at Amano's scape, there is somehow a point in the tank which draws your attention automatically to...

From your photo, my eyes are going around... What do you think?
    Yo dude, yeah its missing something but I don't quite like red plants to be honest. Let's say if I were to add in a focus plant, let's say red, you mentioned to add it at the back, which portion, the right hand side?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by neon
    Grey_fox:

Your 432w of lighting somehow doesn't look bright to me , did you tone down your camera or something ?
    Yo bro, its damn bright, yup I toned down the lightings using the camera + photoshop. Or else what you will see is a whitish tint to the water, making the water seem to blur.

Btw, I don't reall switch on all 8 T5HO, unless I have to (for exmaple to take a photo or some other reasons), think its too bright already. I would just use 6.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast