Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Any one using an internal overflow system?

Any one using an internal overflow system?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just wondering if any one is using an internal overflow system: where 0.5' of a tank (eg 4x2x2) is partitioned and compartmentalised for an overflow system. So the sump is at 1 side of the tank instead of an additional sump below the tank.

I'm thinking of making such a tank for a fish only tank like arowana or some large cichlid and am wondering if the filtering capacity is sufficient.
    Thx

An example is attached

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    moved to equipment section

Thx DEA, I was looking for this post to see if there's any comments on this kinda filter.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my tank started with an overflow compartment (Nathura brand) but the performance is not very satisfactory because it gets clogged easily. Also takes up too much space. Finally ripped out the compartment and used a cannister filter, much much less maintenance.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Because I'll either be keeping 2 large 10" cichlids or use it for an arowana tank, so I'm not too sure if the canister can be as problem free as one used in a planted tank.

I think I know the natura kind that you are talking about. I think it's not enough filtration also, which is why I'm wondering if 0.5'x2x2 volume of filtration is enough for the tank.

I'm also thinking of doing 2 tier 4x2x2 tanks with this kind of filtration. I know it's kind of heavy, so I'm also wondering if 50% water change per week is enough

The other consideration is that it will be quite hard to hide 2 canisters for 2 tier tanks on a metal stand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    victor i will not recommend taking up precious tank space for filtration.

and yeah thats the problem with twin deck. the best you ca do is locate the tank near a corner and the canisters can be placed in the gap between the tank and the wall.

if a single aro, the fitlration is enough . it will be good if you maximise the capacity of media inside too. 2 large cichlids can...but a bit stetching it. and also, once partitioned, your tank spaces becomes 3.5x2x2 ..... smaller tank, harder to mix cichlids too ...so there is a balance to strike!

my main concern is space.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe you can use those overhead drip filter?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Those overhead filters are not as efficient as a canister. A canister is, in turn, less effective compared to a sump

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Victor actually i find overheads to be very efficient.
    they are essentially mini-sumps because they operate on the same principle.They are wet-drys, as are sumps. Canisters are like blown up versions of internal power filters.

THey are easily as efficient as canister on relative terms. But on absolute terms, canisters are more poweful because they have the sheer power.

if size for size i dont think overheads will lose out, and in fact will be better for certain canisters.

But I find that the overhead filters are accumulating fruit flys and they hatch unsightly white worms in the tank. It will be good if it's a small fish tank as they'll all be fish food. But for large cichlid tank, they're just irritating...heheh

Of course, getting 2 4' overheads and 2 4x2x2 tanks will be cheaper I think.

LSZ, do you have 2 tier 4x2x2 in your home?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    victor

for 4x2x2 it overhead will not be enough already!

their capacity advantage is in smaller tanks .

yeah those tanks in my latest pics are 4x2x2s

Just spoke to Sin Chew guy today.
    The internal filter is not so good for too large a tank like the 4x2x2. The dirt accumulated on the other side of the tank won't be drawn into the sump and thus you might need another powerhead to create water movement.

The sump also costs another $100 without material.
    The guy said that the 4' overhead has partitions and if properly wadded with cotton wool, should be sufficient. Not too sure about this though. He said it's as good as a canister...haha.

Maybe I should forget about getting 2 tiers. After all, my baby boy will grow up some day and these tanks on metal stands might not be quite child safe.

He did quote me 4x2x2 tank + cabinet for $988 I think. Delivery costs $50-75 though.

Now considering the cabinet setup and getting a eheim pro II for filtration. Is that enough for 2 large cichlids?

Looks like it's either the Cichlid or an arowana. Tough choice...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah 2028 is ok.