Images
    Country
    Singapore

Questions about Coco peat

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Eh... I am not sure whether this thread will do better here... Benny, shift it if you think it's not appropriate...

I am thinking of adding some coco peat to my tank. Reasons:

1) Attempt to bring down pH without too much browning. Kepatang leaves does not seem to work.

2) I am having this thought that the peat would be better for growing crypts.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, where to find the peat safe for aquarium use? Do we need to boil before use?

I am also thinking of using it as planting media in a vivarium. Would they be ok with frogs and newts?

Thanks for your attention and response.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Would you consider Sera Peat?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am clueless... I was just thinking (pardon my mistake, if I made one) that coco peat would come as a piece and thus easy to 'insert' under the existing substrate.

Any good and aquarium safe peat would actually be good enough...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You might want to check with KF aka Juggler. He has used coco peat in one of his tank I think.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    I am clueless... I was just thinking (pardon my mistake, if I made one) that coco peat would come as a piece and thus easy to 'insert' under the existing substrate.

Any good and aquarium safe peat would actually be good enough...

Sera Peat looks and feels like ADA Aquasoil. I put it in my filter to bring down the pH.
    Maybe you can try using it by mixing it with other substrate and use it as planting medium.
    Since it is product of Sera I trust it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mab
    You might want to check with KF aka Juggler. He has used coco peat in one of his tank I think.
    Ah... Now I recalled who ignited the coco peat interest in me... Thanks, mab!

Nicky, does that mean the Sera peat looks like bits of substrate? That would render it difficult to insert in to existing substrate eh? Hmm... Will think about it... LFSs have this in stock?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah... Now I recalled who ignited the coco peat interest in me... Thanks, mab!

Nicky, does that mean the Sera peat looks like bits of substrate? That would render it difficult to insert in to existing substrate eh? Hmm... Will think about it... LFSs have this in stock?
    Sera Peat is like ADA Aquasoil except the size of each pallet is slightly larger. It will take lots of effort to insert into existing substrate, I think.
    I believe Juggler uses those Cocopeat that places like Cold Storage used to sell. I think those are like garden compost. If so, I think it is near impossible to insert them into your existing substrate.. I mean how to insert 'soil' into your substrate? Those are more useful if you are starting a new setup from empty tank.

So maybe Sera Peat suits your application better.

Places like NA and FuWo carries Sera Peat. It comes in a neat looking box.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... Then I can just sprinkle a little each time (assuming that they sink!) and let them mix with the lapis... How's that? That way, any pH drop is also smaller than if I dump the whole lot in... Less chance of crypt melt!... Will have to drop by FuWo again...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... Then I can just sprinkle a little each time (assuming that they sink!) and let them mix with the lapis... How's that? That way, any pH drop is also smaller than if I dump the whole lot in... Less chance of crypt melt!... Will have to drop by FuWo again...
    Sera Peat floats.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    Sera Peat floats.

Anyway to make them sink? They will, in time, right? Err... Right? If so, then I can put them in a bag and release them after they soak up enough water to sink...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I place a handful into a bag and add a stone inside to make them sink.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Anyway to make them sink? They will, in time, right? Err... Right? If so, then I can put them in a bag and release them after they soak up enough water to sink...
    Not sure if they will ever sink.. I put them in a filter bag before putting them into my filter basket. Should have them changed out some time back but did not do it.

The instruction was 2kg for every 5000 litres of water and changeout every 2 mths.
    So if that’s the effective period, by the time it sink it is time for you to change out..

Maybe this is not good after all for your application..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Then in this case, I might just have to let them float in the bag... Or put a few smaller stones in and let the bag sink as Joe suggested... Thanks...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey stuff them in those black mesh bag, add a stone and let it sink at the back of the tank. Btw u need to let them stay in water for a while before introducing into tank as they do taint the water brown.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Adding another question: Where do I find Cocopeat? Plant nurseries? Do stores like the local Home-Fix have them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    Adding another question: Where do I find Cocopeat? Plant nurseries? Do stores like the local Home-Fix have them?
    Squee,
    I have some peat moss if you need.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think peat moss and cocopeat are different things altogether?

cocopeat, you can get them at cold storage outlets or those small nurseries, i think it is $2 a packet

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Eh... I am not sure whether this thread will do better here... Benny, shift it if you think it's not appropriate...

I am thinking of adding some coco peat to my tank. Reasons:

1) Attempt to bring down pH without too much browning. Kepatang leaves does not seem to work.

2) I am having this thought that the peat would be better for growing crypts.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, where to find the peat safe for aquarium use? Do we need to boil before use?

I am also thinking of using it as planting media in a vivarium. Would they be ok with frogs and newts?

Thanks for your attention and response.
    Good nutrients, loads of high stable CO2 and not moving the crypts around and they do well. Peat adds as a carbon source (food for them) for the bacteria initially in the substrate.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i've tried cocopeat (the one sold in cold storage) in my old setup... i've used them as base fert with just normal gravel covering over them..
    they are not very messy when i uproot plants. the peat residue can be easily siphon out.
    as for effectiveness, i'll rate it about 6.5/10

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mab
    Right. I used it in almost all my planted tanks.

Cocopeat is not so acidic. I tested it for a few weeks soaked in water. pH remain quite neutral. Probably peat moss is better? Can test it out.

Peat moss is more buoyant than cocopeat. So you will need more gravel to hold them down if using it as substrate. Or put a thinner layer.

Or if you are just interested in making more acidic water, use a mesh bag as suggested earlier.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast