Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nannostomus marginatus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone seen the above? Common name is dwarf pencilfish.
    Nannostomus marginatus is very similar to the Nannostomus trifasciatus.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To the untrained eye, the two pencil fishes are commonly mistaken for each other.

Whils the Nannostomus marginatus grows only to 3 cm, hence the name dwarf pencil fish, Nannostomus trifacasiatus on the other hand, grows up to 5 cm. Also, Nannostomus marginatus has a deeper body profile. Both pencil fish shows 3 distinctive lines although the latter is known as the three line pencilfish.

The Japananese magazine, Minima, had a feature on the various variants of Nannostomus marginatus if I recall correctly. The major difference being the red spots on the body. Some have them at the caudal peduncle and others do not, amongst other variations.

The last time I saw them was also at C328 at Clementi Ave 2, together with the 3 line pencilfish. They do come in as contaminants as well as on their own. Gan's Fish Farm use to bring them in too, but the last shipment was a few months ago. I'm sure they are sold out now.

Joe, I assume these are for your good friend rather than for yourself?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Heh I want them myself Both the 3-line pencilfish looks pretty and I just got one contaminant from C328's recent batch of Nannostomus trifacasiatus. They look almost alike till you see them side by side. As inidicated by benny, the Nannostomus marginatus has a stout body while Nannostomus trifacasiatus has a slender body, but both has distinct 3 lines running across them.

I asked Mrs Toh liao but she said dun think can get any. Any one saw some or selling theirs?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The Jan issue of the Aquazoo mag (Taiwanese) has 2-3 pages on various pencil fishes. Pics are included. Lots of this issue is still available at C328. The cover is some kois with long fins (not sure the name).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kray
    The Jan issue of the Aquazoo mag (Taiwanese) has 2-3 pages on various pencil fishes. Pics are included. Lots of this issue is still available at C328. The cover is some kois with long fins (not sure the name).
    To bad most of us don't read Chinese well and the magazine usually comes wrapped. Otherwise might thumb though and pick one up.

Kray, you read chinese?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    To bad most of us don't read Chinese well and the magazine usually comes wrapped. Otherwise might thumb though and pick one up.

Kray, you read chinese?

Cheers,
    Can read taiwanese chinese characters (not all words of cos). The article has just a few liners and beautiful pic for each species - just provides physical descriptions of the highlighted species and where they could be found, not on detailed information such as description of habitat etc

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kray, Jan 2006 issue or Jan 2005 issue? Would like to get hold of it...

I am SOooo tempted to get meself a few more pencils, esp the 3-lined ones... Heh heh...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    C328 no more pencil meh? Order more la Justikanz!!! I bought 10 and now can hardly see them

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I meant to say, I think I better stop adding more fish to my tank!
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Kray, Jan 2006 issue or Jan 2005 issue? Would like to get hold of it...

I am SOooo tempted to get meself a few more pencils, esp the 3-lined ones... Heh heh...
    Latest - Jan 2006.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For those looking for dwarf pencilfish aka Nannostomus marginatus, they are found as contaminants in the recent batches of 3-line pencilfish aka Nannostomus trifasciatus.