Country
    Singapore

ID: Malayan shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi there,

Can you guys kindly I.D the following shrimp? The shirmp is dark blue (almost black in color) with a yellow stripe along the top of its body.

Sorry for the poor photo btw.

visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I believe it to be either a hybrid of the malayan shrimp (aka malayan shrimp X) or a pure malayan shrimp itself. I have seen this appearance of a shrimp in my community tank before. Tried to take a photo to post like you did, but the shrimp didnt cooperate.. and now I believe it is still hiding somewhere in my tank...

Oh by the way, the only shrimps in my tank are malayan and cherry.
    Last edited by benny; 18th Feb 2006 at 23:32. Reason: spelling
    Who made up all these rules?
    We follow 'em like fools.
    Believe 'em to be true.
    Don't care to think 'em through.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Correct! It's a Malayan Shrimp!
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think so too! Mystery solved.

They come in several color variants. Diet can also influence their coloration.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks again you I.Ding experts.

Anyways yup, mystery solved. I have one which is yellowish, another light bluish and this black one... I can't quite recall when I actually bought them though....

Didn't know Malayans can grow to that size. Initially I thought it was a Yamato but nonetheless, thanks again for the I.D

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by benny
    I think so too! Mystery solved.

They come in several color variants. Diet can also influence their coloration.

Cheers,
    Hi, I know malayan come in several colors. But anybody seen a white one before? I have one that look like the color of a dead shrimp. Originally thought it'll die soon but it's been like that for 5 days already. Still seem to be quite active. And when the lights are off, it is by far the most noticeble one. Too bad I don't have a good D-cam to take pictures.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luenny
    Hi, I know malayan come in several colors. But anybody seen a white one before? I have one that look like the color of a dead shrimp. Originally thought it'll die soon but it's been like that for 5 days already. Still seem to be quite active. And when the lights are off, it is by far the most noticeble one. Too bad I don't have a good D-cam to take pictures.
    Hi, I do have the same shrimps as described by you, not only they didn't die, they even got pregnant and give birth to a handful of shrimplets. Strange!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yeah, now that you mention it. I think mine is pregnant also. Can see the eggs. Does your white malayan produce white offsprings as well?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luenny
    Yeah, now that you mention it. I think mine is pregnant also. Can see the eggs. Does your white malayan produce white offsprings as well?
    No, regular colourless malayan shrimp. That's why not sure whether white malayan is healthy or not.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Update on my white shrimp. I did a water change and the white shrimp died the next day So, I guess white means they are sick - probably that's why she wasn't able to withstand the water change.

Oh since we're talking about Malayan shrimp color, I notice something strange the other day. I bought a few Malayan from my office (low tech, not so heavily planted, non-CO2, air-con) tank to the tank at home (high tech, heavily planted, CO2, non-air-con). Most of them are coloress or blackish when they are transported. Yeah, they went missing for a few days but when they reappear, they turn reddish. Even the blackish one turn to dark red/brown color because of the original black color. I thought they were cherry shrimps until I saw the brown one with yellow strip on the back. Strange, just 2 days in a different tank will cause such a big change in the color. Well, it's all for the better since they look nicer now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm Malayans can change the color of their shell to suit its surroundings? My malayans are black, blue, brown, light brown and there's one that looks like a 'salt & pepper' coloration.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox
    Hmm Malayans can change the color of their shell to suit its surroundings? My malayans are black, blue, brown, light brown and there's one that looks like a 'salt & pepper' coloration.
    Yes, I also noticed that some of the Malayan shrimps I gave to my friend actually changed colour from originally lighter colour to darker colour, probably due to the surroundings.