Thread: Imported German Lighting set in LFS

Feedback Score

Imported German Lighting set in LFS

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Greetings to all.

I am a beginner in this area of planted tank. Have not started my 48"x18"x18" tank yet due to incomplete equipment-LIGHTING.

One LFS tried to sell me a lighting set imported from Bermany for $600 and claimed that it definitely will made the plants produce O2 bubbles. At least, his display tank using this particular lighting set is working excellently. But the price will burn a big hole in my pocket.

Is it reasonable to pay this price for a lighting set?

The interesting thing i observed is that the lighting set uses 2xwhite, 1xred and 1xblue. (All FL type)

Can the experts here explain why this combination of lights?
    :-X :-X :-X :-X
    2 Legs Bad
    4 Legs Better
    NO Legs Best

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    no need waste so much money lah - if you want save $$$, suggest you go Nature Aquarium at Thomson/Balestier junction and get three sets of Chan's 4 feet light fixtures. Should come up to less than $400. If you want plants to bubble, you need strong light (at least 3 Watts per gallon) AND ample CO2. The colour thing's a con. Plants will thrive with tubes with a spectrum of between 6500 K and 10,000 K (These figures should be indicated on most FL and PL tubes). No need to buy those expensive plant tubes, those daylight tubes sold in hardware shops good enough.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the money saving advice. Will definitely check out Nature.

I have not really apprehend the basics of lighting.

What are the difference between the white light and the colored one? And what are they used for?

I have seen people using the red/pink ones to make their fish's colour more radiant.

Kindly enlighten.
    2 Legs Bad
    4 Legs Better
    NO Legs Best

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have seen people using the red/pink ones to make their fish's colour more radiant.
    [b]mainly for viewing purposes.. not much effect on the fishes or plants.
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm thinking that perhaps this lfs is situated at serangoon north ave 2
    is it?

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the taiwanese shop???
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    there's a reason why i didn't say which shop it was

Feedback Score
    Just a word of advice. Looking at plants bubbling o2 like champagne is breathtaking but optimum photosynthesis means plants grow faster and u have to trim more frequent.Optimum light must be complimented with optimum CO2 rate and dose of nutrients. Ask those growing riccia, a wonderful plant when bubbling but maintenance is heavy. I say this bcoz new aquarist tend to be inspired by those picturesque tanks. Budget is important too. Ask ard in this site for advice.I'm sure many will help.Don't trust too much from those LFS. One way I want to know a good lFS is to ask the them to catch fish for me.Those unscruplous ones will give u sick ones purposely.Usually u pick ur own fish don't ask them to pick.This is my way of looking for "GOOD LFS".Had bad experience with a marine lfs recently.Did the same trick. Remember, not just knowledge alone abt aquarium is impt, must be smart when buying too.Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if the light is truly from 'that' shop that scuber wright isnt a german made, its taiwan made

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Plants will thrive with tubes with a spectrum of between 6500 K and 10,000 K (These figures should be indicated on most FL and PL tubes). No need to buy those expensive plant tubes, those daylight tubes sold in hardware shops good enough.
    ----------------
    Hi Budak,

Does that mean that the daylight tubes in those hardware shops are good enuf as compared to the Arcadia daylight tubes? Wow! The prior is a lot more expensive than those normal ones in the hardware shops.

Coz I am going to buy a double FL light and would like to change to the Arcadia tubes as recommended by the LFS. If there isn't a need, I can then save it for other better purposes ..[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wow.... 4X36W light for $600. Kinda pricy don't you think so. I'd rather go for MH 150W @ $350+.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    most are using the normal daylight fl from hardware shops.
    can try to look for hitachi ebt tubes.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    On 6/4/2002 12:16:53 PM

if the light is truly from 'that' shop that scuber wright isnt a german made, its taiwan made
    ----------------
    The Schuber Wright is a Taiwan brand which using raw material from Germany. The tubes in the casing are Sylvania from Germany, the metal reflector inside the casing also from Germany, Just FYI.
    Aquatic plants and LEGO collector.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually it uses germany technology with a german name.. it the reflector made in german too? one of the reasons y I got a schuber wright for my 6ft is becoz at that time when I first started.. MH was too ex

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sorlee ... "that" shop is "R" or "P" ?? Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes. go to thomson and look for chan. save the rest for a co2 tank if you want bubbles

btw, when i started off, my whole tankful of riccia which looks prettiest when bubbling is now reduced to on top of 3 child fist size pebbles. more for decorative purpose than a foreground plant. i gave most away. simply too much maintenance.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all for the kind advice. You guys have definitely help me to save some money and made me be aware of those sly LFS people.

Initially, i visualise my tank to have a carpet full of ricca. Even in my dreams, i can see them bubbling!

Looks like i got to re-plan the layout of the tank.
    2 Legs Bad
    4 Legs Better
    NO Legs Best

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Simon,
    The Reflector is imported from Germany, that what i read from Taiwanese Magazine.
    Aquatic plants and LEGO collector.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Clusterbx,
    If you want try Riccia, please go ahead. Yes, needs plenty of maintenance. But if you're sick of it just remove it. To remove, maybe can try the gadget I mentioned in the Equipment section.

For me, I've tried Riccia myself. Enjoyed it very much initially. Then it got too much work so I removed it (expected). It was really really nice when it grew into lawn. The bubbles were magnificent. Now at least I can tell ppl that I had Riccia. Did not regret it at all.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast