Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cement Tank??? - Expert Please Help!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by IIOOII
    Squee, i was thinking more like slowly raising the water level of a newly set up tank over a few weeks so that the plants will slowly grow from emersed to submerse form for it to adapt well...
    Well that's really... you could try it I suppose. But what a waste of time, when you can patiently take time to understand what goes on in a planted tank, and try to do things that way. In the end you're still converting from emersed form to submersed...

Planted tanks require technique, patience, and lots of reading (the last point is very important imho). Like you said, you have a high-tech tank with everything money can buy, but without proper technique, understanding and patience, things go wrong. I've been along that path, until I realised how reading extensively can help me. I mean you no offence, but all of us have lots of learning to do!

That's what this forum is for, to share and spread information that people before us have taken the trouble to experiment, test, and teach.

Sorry off-topic a little =x

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Weirong

when i check, most books recommend the temp of between 22-28C for growing Anubias, with the temp at Teos hovering between 29-32C, sprinkler can only lower the temp a 2-3 degree.

Am i right to say that if you are growing a plant emersed and under the sun, most plants can tolerate a higher temp?

Thanks
    Yes, I do believe that plants are more tolerant of higher temps. But there are a lot of things that an aquarium can't provide. And obviously emersed forms and submersed forms of plants have different cares.

As you may have noticed, any plants you buy and put in your aquarium will lose its emersed leaves and grow submersed ones.
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ramansatome - The book i got the info from is The Aquarium Plant Book by Oriental Aquarium Pte Ltd, if this book has wrong info then i will throw it away.

Squee - One of the reason why i like this hobby is it allows me to buy lots of books to read, my CO always ask why i buy so many books (she buys about one book a year if not 2 year, she don't even buy magazines like most women). Like you said this is one good learning experience for me, no books will ever tell you why and how can plant farms just grow plants out of cement tanks.

Weirong - yes i notice that too, also when a submerge plant is able to grow out of the water, the growth rate also seems to increase, thus most plants can adapt easier from sub to emerse then vice versa. May be i can use this new knowledge to take on those more difficult plants to grow on my next tank.

So what have i learn today (though i am not jo jo the clown) - again my hats off to mother nature, the way the sun can help plants to grow (and man is still not able to fully replicate that) and how plants learn to adapt and live went they sink under water.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Oops...looks like you have one book to throw away..although i dont understand why you would do that just cos there are "mistakes" in it...books are information..information is put there for you as a reference... no one affirms that they are 100% factual.. no one can... no one can ever... not even in controlled scientific experiments can you say something is 100% factual...99.99999999999% is not 100% (this is also why they keep updating new versions of biology text..for example)... it is up to you to believe if that 99.99999999999% is good enough for you..if it is then keep the book.. throwing a book away due to some "error" is too drastic and just not prudent...its still good REFERENCE material.
    I believe there are "errors" in that book...although i dont know if this is one of them..but i dont throw books out..i still have a 1986 version of my biology text.
    i wont keep you since this topic is getting a little OT..Have fun..
    oh..and if you're really insistant on throwing it away.. i'll save it.. give me give me..
    Last edited by ranmasatome; 22nd Feb 2006 at 03:27.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ramansatome - The book i got the info from is The Aquarium Plant Book by Oriental Aquarium Pte Ltd, if this book has wrong info then i will throw it away.
    Throw away??? GIVE ME GIVE ME!!!
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12