Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Type of Plants & fishes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

Just got my lighting modified by chan of NA.

Current spec :
    1] 2 * 18W PL = 36watt
    2] Tank size = 40cm * 30cm * 50cm = ~17.5 Gal
    3] 3-4 inches of subtrate(brown color)
    4] Covered top
    5] Internal filtration
    6] No CO2 (But intented to DIY) = still considering
    7] Some driftwood & stones(brown color)

Can recommend type of plants & fishes(quantity also) for my tank.

BTY, is my spec suitable to grow riccia & hair grass?

Thks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if plants are the focus (since you're upgrading lights) seriously consider CO2 cylinder.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hairgrass need to have a good base fert and of cos not forgeting to use gravel too.

i agree with HWchoy get a co2 system, but if you're on a tight budget try the DIY and then after you decide to go into planted tank more seriously then u get the system.

you will not regret getting a system.
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    well, look like i have to DIY CO2 first.(I have the info on hand now & had try BUT unsuccessful.

I had try the method recommended by this website using 2 1.5L bottles;

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/co2-faiz.html

Filled up water to 3/4 of bottle with mixture of 6 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon yeast(instant-in a small packet form cost abt S$0.60) & 1/4 tea spoon baking power.Shaked.

My CO2 is bubbling BUT for a day onli(WHy?) & it can't pump all the way up to my sandstone to the reactor.Also I can see that there r water in the pipe connected to the sandstone when i dropped it into the tank.

Can anyone pls enlighten?

thks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it could be the pressure or there is a leak somewhere.. as for the water flowback, u might wanna use a check valve

riccia and DIY dun go well, riccia need more C02 to have the bubbling effect

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SHld not be leaking cos i used silicon to glued them & had ensure.

U mean the pressure(CO2 that produced) is not enough to pump them out to my sandstone with some water in the pipe?

Check valve? are those small device that can connect 2 or more pipes to one output & at the same time can use to stop the air flow from going to a certain pipe by closing the gap by turning the handle to a direction?

sorry i am new so might ask stupid questions here.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can try taking out the airstone and just let the bubble collect in the reactor. Works the same. Algae may grow on the airstone and thus choking it.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try using a C02 bell or a inverted cup.. imo, better than using a airstone.. check valve is those small device which prevents the back flow of water

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ok, will try those out & can tell me which type of plants will be more suitable for my tank spec. Would prefer low - moderate maintanence type of tank.

thks []

Feedback Score
    Hi there

When u mention substrate, r u referring to base fert? Or gravel?

Hmmm....seems like riccia's a fav newbie's plant (sorry....i'm assuming u're new here...apologies if u're not). Hahaha....it was mine too....until i decided it was such a hassle. Not to burst ur bubble, but riccia's gonna be a handful to handle as it requires great amt of maintenance.
    I think many here wld agree to dat too, but it's still a nice 'plant' to have.

Another thing....i'd ditch the tank cover coz it's gonna cause heat build-up...wat more if the ballast is under the cover too. I ditched both my covers for my 60cm & 50cm tanks coz temps went up to 33/34.

As mentioned by the others earlier, u'd need CO2 for riccia & HG to grow well. U might wanna consider tenellus as a replacement for ur HG as a foreground plant.

My 2cents' worth of experience.....

Nizz

Feedback Score
    U can try some from the echinodorus family of plants. I believe most r hardy low-light plants, & given the rite conditions, i think they r wonderful to look at too (eg. e. rose, e. gruner leopard, e. barthii...).

But if the tank is new, i think u'd need to plant some fast growers too.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thks for yr advise. will not grow riccia then.

The subrate i am using is the one in brown color-soil like bought in 1 of the shop in Farmart costing me abt $25 per 5-6 kg. The uncle said don't need other elements cos got fert in it.then BUT i think i kanna con liao after knowing/reading up much info from here. That alone will not get gd result.

anyway, will still use that & add in some fertiliser(pls recommend) will oso add a thin layer of used/seasoned coral chipped(very fine type) on top(Can or not?) to prevent water from getting muddy when added during water change.(Cos this subrate/fert soil will cos water to turn muddy looking(brown) with a just a little of disturbance on the surface.

BTY, what is the recommend temp. to maintence in a tank?

Feedback Score
    Errr....chipped coral not suitable for planted tanks, i believe....suitable for cichlids tho'. Use those 'lonestar' gravel to cover ur 'fert/substrate'. I think it goes for around $20+ for 10kg (around there lah...). Thickness depends on ur plant type, but min i'd go for is 1".

Ur substrate....$25 per 5-6kg....hmmmm...wat brand is dat?

Trick i tried when changing water....place newspaper folded in half on the water surface & pour water onto it....it'll reduce disturbance on the gravel bed.

Recommended temp? Dpds on plant & fish type...some plants show off their best characteristics around 26D celcius, while 29-30 is fine for the echinodorus....but other forumers here wld prob differ in their in their experience, simply because no 2 tanks r the same...mine's abt 28-30.

Anyway, have fun exploring!

Nizz