Images
    Country
    Singapore

Where to get distilled water?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm setting up a marine tank for a friend but she doesn't have a filter at home. Any idea where she can get distilled water? Or will rainwater do?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by XnSdVd
    I'm setting up a marine tank for a friend but she doesn't have a filter at home. Any idea where she can get distilled water? Or will rainwater do?
    I think the only source is from the those vendor that sells "mineral water". I seriously don't think anyone here make your own distill water, right?
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So what do you guys top up your tanks with?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So what do you guys top up your tanks with?
    i dun have a marine tank
    however, my friend used those ordered 10g water from water dispenser vendors.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you are in luck, bro.
    I was looking for it too previously and just got a few bottles from Carrefour supermarket. I guess any supermarket eg coldstorage etc should carry too Very convenient actually [ for small tank top up should be enough] and quite cheap too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey bros... u guys shld top up with Distilled Water and not Mineral Water (look at the table content and all the Minerals shld be 0%, that's distilled water) The cheapest source wld be Alpheus Distilled Water @ $5/Carton at Sheng Shiong Supermarket... or next cheapest shld be Fairprice distilled water @ $6.80/carton

Happy Reefing!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dkk08
    Hey bros... u guys shld top up with Distilled Water and not Mineral Water (look at the table content and all the Minerals shld be 0%, that's distilled water) The cheapest source wld be Alpheus Distilled Water @ $5/Carton at Sheng Shiong Supermarket... or next cheapest shld be Fairprice distilled water @ $6.80/carton

Happy Reefing!
    $5/carton no shit! that is dirt-cheap. Just bought another 2 bottles from coldstorage at 85c per 1.5litre bottle . thought that was already damn cheap. The Polar brand at carefour cost $1.20 per bottle.

btw, how many bottles per carton?? and per bottle volume?? btw at that price, is the mineral content really zero? why is there such huge price differential

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by d2hpeter
    $5/carton no shit! that is dirt-cheap. Just bought another 2 bottles from coldstorage at 85c per 1.5litre bottle . thought that was already damn cheap. The Polar brand at carefour cost $1.20 per bottle.

btw, how many bottles per carton?? and per bottle volume?? btw at that price, is the mineral content really zero? why is there such huge price differential
    oh ya forgot to mention its the big 1.5L bottle per carton = 12 bottles
    yes mineral content is at Zero or the lowest (can check the table on the label)

As for px diff well... its like shoes... Compare Nike to Converse... all abt brands

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Setting up a new tank do not need to use distill water. Juz make sure that u add in some anti-chlorimine solution and mix with salt will be fine. Else u can also try getting seawater from LFS also.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sheng siong aye... Thanks guys

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by d2hpeter

Hi Peter, serious speaking. In a long run, its more worthy to invest in a DI filter. U can DIY something like this for <$100 and it can filter easily 500 - 1000L of water.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That isn't much for $100 is it? my 6ft tank is like 800l already...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by solonavi
    Hi Peter, serious speaking. In a long run, its more worthy to invest in a DI filter. U can DIY something like this for <$100 and it can filter easily 500 - 1000L of water.

Cheers
    JC
    this look very interesting. Mind me asking what minerals does it filter? Any article I could read up?

Thanks...
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    At least its cheaper than buying distilled bottled water.

Btw, as I mentioned, if it a new tank, dun bother about getting distilled water for setup. U'll probably change >50% of the water after cycling.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo
    this look very interesting. Mind me asking what minerals does it filter? Any article I could read up?

Thanks...
    I think different brands have different capability. Guess u'll need to check with the LFS that sells them for details but I know that it can adsopt the majority of impurities that we can concern. I do know that those who have tested the setup on a TDS meter has zero reading.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by solonavi

Cheers
    JC
    Agreed JC, thanks for advice. I hv actually enquired similar units at Jireh, cost 88 per unit and 50 per refill. Can last >1300 litres.
    But i am thinking setting up or using this maybe inconvenient in office environment. Imagine carry whole unit plus hoses, pails etc to washroom Moreover for top covered pico tank, top up/ water change volumes may not be significant, so bottled water is still quite feasible. Not to mention that it is near or totally zero mineral content as compared with the DI units.

I will consider using it when i set up a bigger tank at home in future.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    if anyone is interested to DIY a DI unit, see here

source ard and you'll find that the cost is much lesser than $100.
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys, I'll advise for you to check up on the setup 1st. Find out if storing resin in that container with water in it will reduce the resin lifespan. If it does, you'll need another method. I've just got my diy D/I resin from a reefer from SRC yesterday. I've not tested it yet but his method is that after using the diy setup, there will not be water stored in the setup.

I've wanted to post a pic of it but I do not have a DC camera.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    if the water that's left in the resin housing is not treated via sediment filter n carbon, the lifespain of the resin will most definitely be reduced.
    however, as the resin housing is after the sediment then the carbon block, the water that's left behind would not be a problem.
    commercial units are setup the same way too.

you can also drain off the water in the housing but if the sediment filter is left dry, it'll crack and be of no use. the resin also needs to be kept moist.

BFG, this should be the DIY unit u bought?

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225087

i bought one too but after some thought, i went and built the 3 stage filter instead.
    i still have the diy DI pipe in the store (unused) if anyone's interested (pm me).
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, that's the one I've bought. Choose this one because of it's simplicity. The design can be improved further but I guess it's adequate in itself. What grade is the resin you are using?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast