Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was inspired by the amazing vivariums/paludariums in this forum that i started a Paludarium project last Aug 2005. I reused my 3"x2"x2" marine tank for the setup.

I used these black textured styrophoam as the background.

For the land/raised area, I cut these kitchen trays into an "L" shape to fit into my tank overflow section

Then I fill the trays with clay beads for better water drainage

The next step is to fill the substrate with fine river gravels. The powerhead/pump is hidden under one of the tray, it will suck water up the tube and distribute towards the waterfall sections on top.

These are granite rocks of various shapes purchased from Mainland Tropical Fish Farm. Very heavy and expensive (charged by per kg). I especially love the long shaped rock, which looks like a steep cliff when erected.

The 3 big rocks formed the main landscape/rockscape of the tank. Later water will flow down this rocks to create a waterfall effect.

This is the initial completed setup of the tank. Water still brownish due to the garden soil. Need several rounds of water changes to keep it crystal clear.

This is a closeup of the left side rockscape. Love this cute little crab, but could not keep it alive in the long run after several tries. Anyone can advise? I wanted to hide/cover the water tubing with some moss/plants, but could not find suitable ones. Any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by real; 9th Feb 2007 at 01:04.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Man, why 9 posts all with attachments? Try to put stuff in a single post, much easier to read. Consult Justikanz please.

I feel the brownish water tint makes it all the more natural-looking. I assume you're going to plant up the right side?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wink

This is the tank today, which is six months later. Not well maintained, I could have done better if my momentum were to keep up, but my lovely baby boy arrived and I have to switch priorities

Sorry for the multiple posts. First time doing this, don't know how to upload multiple pictures. Only realise after your advise ;P

That's all I have folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by real; 9th Feb 2007 at 01:01.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to AQ, nice , you were off to a good start and could have done so much more with this tank hope to see this tank flourish again
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Many thanks to Justikanz for consolidating my posts. Will try to find time to enhance the paludarium

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    think it'll look really nice when it's matured =)
    nice crab

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice job. Lots of potential.

1 question: Will that red crab mess up your plants?
    Last edited by Justikanz; 3rd Apr 2006 at 16:48. Reason: SMS language!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    wow.. nice tank... will the crab go into the water and catch the fishes??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually the crab don't like to stay in water, it likes to climb on the rocks & background. Somehow I have no luck keeping this type of crab, I have tried several times but failed to keep them. Gave up now. Anyone have good experience with this cutie crab?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    think its mangrove crab...

by the way... is the potted plant in the tank?? or is it behind the tank??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nice setup u have there, guess be more natural look once matured! maybe if your mangrove crab not able to make it, 'Touchwood!'
    Last edited by Justikanz; 10th Apr 2006 at 02:53. Reason: Please observe AVA regulations...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm... what crab is that??

maybe you would want to do a research on the crab first before you try it again??
    Last edited by Justikanz; 13th Apr 2006 at 00:08. Reason: 'Wat' is not a word...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i find the tank setup very cool... simulates a natural cliff-scape very well. and u're absolutely right - the long piece of rock DOES resemble a steep cliff very much imagine getting some hardier crabs to populate ur tank! it'll look so beautiful!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if i'm not wrong this crab is a salt water crab,so it doesnt survive on fresh water,i think so

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your base or "foundation" looks good but it'll be very much better if you can add more veggitation in it. What happened to your plant that was tied to the wood that's in the water area? I thought that looks really good with it! I prefer the pic which has more veggitation on it.

As for the crab, if i'm not wrong it's a fiddler crab (salt water). Go look for a freshwater crab.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's a fiddler crab... they live on muddy shores and dig holes in the mud to hide in. Also require marine water conditions.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    The tank looks cool but the crab looks lonely =/
    Life Is Blessed By Those Who Are Blessed

Living a fake life is by following other people's life,get a life n follow yours and u will have pride

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Updates on my Paludarium

It has been almost one year since I last updated my tank on this thread. I was browsing the previous posts, and felt really appreciative of the encouragement you guys provided even though my tank was so bare and boring back then

Hence I thought I should share my joy & fun with you guys since I am super free this week. In the last 12 months, I have added more flora into my paludarium, and most of them have strived very well for quite some time already. I also kept some froggies and a fire-belly newt in it. In order to provide more hunting ground for the froggies, I added another dry land or island section on the front right of the tank. You can see a picture of the wetland look before the island was added.

I have become quite crazy for froggies nowadays Currently in the paludarium, there are 1 dumpy, 1 pair of copper-cheek and 1 four-lined tree frog. Hope to add other species if chances arrived

Enjoy and please give me your advice as usual !!!

WetLand look before adding another dry land:

Side View from Left

Side View from Right

Front View
    Last edited by real; 13th Feb 2007 at 23:51. Reason: add title of images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    More froggies pics

Moderators - I hit 1MB attachments limit, so could not upload more pics even after deleting older pics. Anyway I can upload more attachments?

Ok, let me try to link to AQ's gallery:
    Last edited by real; 9th Feb 2007 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Re: Just to share my Plaudarium

Cool Man!!!

By the way, what are the plants that you use in there? Are they ready available?

Cheers!!
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast