Thread: Teach me about Crypts

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Don't know what's happening to my C. parva. It managed to put out 2 new leaves on two separate rosettes (only 2 in the tank). Might be the sunlight hitting it during the day or something since I've just recently cut back the lighting while upping the macros and micros (dumping a lot of nitrates, 1 1/2 tsp, and micros, 12 mL daily, into the tank to keep up with 500W of lighting, which has been cut back to 6 hours).
    Eric

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's the sunlight. I remember someone telling me that sunlight is great for parva too.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Observations when C. parva growing well

Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    It's the sunlight. I remember someone telling me that sunlight is great for parva too.
    I agree. But rather than jumping to conclusions, I offer my observations below:

I've tried growing Cryptocoryne parva in 5 different conditions, here's my tank's conditions to share with all:

Tank a) Old, very rich lapis substrate, further supplemented with Ferka rosetta and old root monsters, high CO2 injection using misting method, 3.5dkH, pH 6.2. KNO3, KH2PO4 daily, TMG trice weekly 72watts lighting over 8-inch water depth, 10 hours daily. Chiller cooled, 26 degrees C (This is my hi-growth EI regime tank where Echin oriental plantlets grow up to harvestable size every fortnight and Hottonia palustris grow 6 inch a month).
    Observation: After 1 week's planting, some cobra-shaped (possibly emersed) leaves turn yellow. New growth leaves are straighter, narrower, darker green and tend to curl downwards. This plant is slow growing. Even moss outgrows it. But some plants are able to maintain their cobra-shaped leaves even after 4 months.

Before planting, I removed the old leaves of some plants till its last 2 crown leaves left, these grew faster than those I planted whole. Floating some of the plants at the surface does not improve their growth.

Pulled out 1 plant after 4 months to inspect its root growth - roots grew only 1 cm longer!

Tank b) 2-year old lapis over JBL basefert. Daily excel dosing, weekly LGA dose equivalent to 6ppm NO3, plus some PO4, divided into 3 doses. Monthly Ferka rosetta tabs, no water change. 48w T5 for 10 hours with a 4-hour midday blast of additional 48w T5 over 1ft of water depth. 25 degree C, fan cooled.
    Observation: After 1 week's planting, same observation as in tank a, but even slower growth. BBA spots appear on leaves despite it being a tank of over 100 malayan and cherry shrimps. (C. wendtii leaves growing beside it, and even the gravel is unaffected by BBA). Some of the C. parva get uprooted by shrimps, some simply disappear.

Tank c) 2-year old 5mm sized gravel + crushed coral over vista basefert. Similar fert regime as Tank b. 18w FL over 1 ft water depth, 10 hours daily. 25 degrees C, fan cooled.
    Observation: This tank, all cryps perish quickly. This tank seem to be able to support only some wendtii (growing weakly) and is my only tank that is able to sustain C. aponogetifolia, probably due to the substrate. But Anubias flourish in this tank with nary a hint of algae.

Tank d) 3-month plus setup, 1ft cube. ADA powersand topped by ADA amazonia aquasoil. Daily excel dosing, weekly LGA amount is equivalent to 6ppm NO3, and 3ppm PO4 divided into 2 doses. Monthly, 2 Ferka rosetta capsules for good measure. Fortnightly water change 50%. 18W PL for 10 hours daily, Fan cooled. Planted C, parva the same time as the tank is set up using plants that were floated in tank a for one month.
    Observation: Absolutely no change except for a leaf turning yellow occassionally. No BBA too, thank God. Its companion C. pygmaea also don't show any growth. Hairgrass, HC and C. tonkinensis have grown well and gone through trimming twice.

Tank e) Recycled base of a dish drainer. Cocopeat + garden sand + mud taken from Teo's emersed hairgrass, making appx 1cm deep substrate. 1 tiny wagtail platy, no feeding. No fert, only topup water, ambient daylight. Left on the common corridor beside my door. No direct sun, water depth 2-3 inches.
    Observation: The clay and mud will rise up and coat everything each time I top up water. Planted the C. parva as is, without trimming leaves nor roots. Noticed only 1 or 2 yellowed leaves in the first few weeks. 4 months down the road, it is a tight clump of plants. Leaves still maintain its cobra shape and its whitish-green colour

So.. perhaps I should insert laterite balls into the substrate of my other tanks and see if it is the sunlight or the substrate that spurs this plant to grow.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    wow, that's great post lawrence...me only just grasping bits and pieces on crypts in general...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    rtc88, they once mentioned to me they restock plants on Mons and Thurs. :}

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by GaspingGurami
    Pulled out 1 plant after 4 months to inspect its root growth - roots grew only 1 cm longer!
    wahahhahahahahhaa this shows how slow this guy can grow

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jacquetlc
    rtc88, they once mentioned to me they restock plants on Mons and Thurs. :}
    which LFS u talking about?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcc86
    which LFS u talking about?
    Sounds like C328!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by evolim83
    Sounds like C328!
    yup c328 does restock their plants only on Mon & Thurs
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sigh..im staying in the east.. i wont be able to go to C328 unless i have a car

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quick question - will crypts survive if attached to driftwood or do they need to be planted into the substrate?

Toshi

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    jo, evo, rtcc ... nope... i'm talking about Wu Hu. Never beent o C328 yet.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eh... Jacquetlc, are you sure? That day we met you at C328 what... With Benny and all...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by 3es
    will crypts survive if attached to driftwood or do they need to be planted into the substrate?
    I believe they can survive on driftwood if you do water fertilisation. People have floated crypts in water and they've grown. No personal experience though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    I believe they can survive on driftwood if you do water fertilisation. People have floated crypts in water and they've grown. No personal experience though.
    Thanks Terence, just wanted to make sure. I've already tied down my crypts to some driftwood and they've been doing great in the last couple of days (with water fertilization).

Toshi

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    JuzTKZ, yeah... i just wheeze past cos i went to the wrong C328. I didn't evey take a good look at what's displayed outside the real mccoy. Will pop down one day if i need any equp.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123