Images
    Country
    Singapore

Chinese Algae Eater

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm thinking of getting chinese algae eater for my planted tank cos i noticed that the oto is not doing a good job but is afraid that they are aggressive towards other mates cos i've seen them chasing other fishes b4. I have cherry shrimps and the usual small planted tank fishes. Plse advise, Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    use some bristlenoses from gans..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh, yes. I second that suggestion... They look much cuter, IMO... And MUCH more peace loving...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You're refering to the dwarf bristlenose pleco. What is the adult size and do you have any pics?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Will the bristlenose pleco damage the plants?
    I keep the grey coloured Chinese Algae Eater in my tanks and they are longer lasting than the Otos. Occasionally see them chasing the SAE.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    how much do bristlenose pleco cost? I read that Chinese Algae Eaters are like SAE, in a sense that they will convert to manufactured food eaters after awhile. In addition, they may become agressive when they become adults!

If u have discus, it's going to be a problem coz they may suck the discus' slime.

Maybe we can find out more abt the bristlenose from fellow hobbyist!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bristlenoses are cute little creatures... These bristlenoses from Gans would stay small and wouldn't grow big as quickly as other plecs...

Gan has two kinds... One is nicely priced, while the other, the starlight bristlenose is the price of a Heckel discus..
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No damage seen on my plant leaves so far... I am supposed to have 6 in my tank... Yah, SUPPOSED as I had only seen 2,3 come out... I hope the rest are just shy and hiding...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by juggler
    I keep the grey coloured Chinese Algae Eater in my tanks and they are longer lasting than the Otos. Occasionally see them chasing the SAE.
    Me too. Though, mine is, i think, golden coloured. They chase each other and the SAE's. I've not seen them chasing any other fishes. Never seen them sucking at the angels i have either, though I have seen the SAEs trying to eat the angels' long fins.

Also, they would not touch the pellets. Busy sucking the algae all the time.

/John
    Last edited by Johnc; 6th Mar 2006 at 23:31.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Any LFS selling them at the moment cos don't wanna go all the way to Gan's farm just to get one or two pieces.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius
    Any LFS selling them at the moment cos don't wanna go all the way to Gan's farm just to get one or two pieces.
    You referring to GAE or bristlenose? GAE is everywhere... Whereas bristlenose, best bet is Gan's farm... two tanks full... Haven't seen any of the Ancistrus at any LFSes so far...

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnc
    Me too. Though, mine is, i think, golden coloured. They chase each other and the SAE's. I've not seen them chasing any other fishes. Never seen them sucking at the angels i have either, though I have seen the SAEs trying to eat the angels' long fins.

Also, they would not touch the pellets. Busy sucking the algae all the time.

/John
    It depends on its dominance in the tank. I used to have 2 GAE and 2 Epalzeorhynchos bicolor in a tank of angels, gouramis and gymnotoids. At that time, one big E. bicolour was the dominant fish in the tank. It will chase the GAEs and the other E. bicolour so the lesser ones stay small, working laboriously to feed themselves on algae.

But when both E. bicolours are removed, one GAE increased in size very quickly and became the wicked master of the tank. It sucks slime off the angels and gouramis, chase the Apteronotus albifrons and tiger barbs around, and jealously hoards the tubifex feeder cone or whatever fish food dropped in the tank.

Even after it is full, it will not allow others to feed, chasing everything away from the food. Talk about wickedness in the world!
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thought chinese algae eaters are those golden-orange ones... if so, then they are truly aggressive!!! ... My Ghost fish kena chased around in and out of it's niche and it can't fight the Ch. algae eater at all.

Furthermore, they don't eat algae as suggested... they are really lazy... *sigh*

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by jacquetlc
    Thought chinese algae eaters are those golden-orange ones... if so, then they are truly aggressive!!! ... My Ghost fish kena chased around in and out of it's niche and it can't fight the Ch. algae eater at all.

Furthermore, they don't eat algae as suggested... they are really lazy... *sigh*
    That's a typical GAE for you...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    The bristle noses at gans i feel are also more effective.. 1 is equivalent to about 3-4 otos. However, they also output a lot of waste since they are so effective. I have 3 in my 2 feet and they eat up all the algae for me. the lone one in my 3ft does quite well on its own as well..
    the price is feel is fair at gans.. compared to outside.. its only 60-70% what you would pay.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They output alot of waste because they feed on alot of wood fibre too... So if wanna get bristlenoses, wood is needed in the tank... Else you would have to provided alot of algae for it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh dear... that means I need to hide some wood (so that it is out of view) in my 2ft for them...