Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Fertilization Dosing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've done a lot of reading on this forum as well as other sources on the net on the different nutrients needed, but am still a bit uncertain on a couple of things. Hopefully someone can help me out or lead me in the right direction.

First off, my current tank specs can be found here - http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...40&postcount=1

Anyway, I just got a hold of some KNO3 and KH2PO4 and am planning on picking up some Seachem Equilibrium in a couple of days. Would that pretty much cover all the necessary nutrients? Still unsure about the traces - can I add in Seachem Flourish for that?

Also, in terms of dosage, I'm still pretty confused, even using Chuck's calculator. What would be a good dosage range for my setup (I'd like to add straight to the tank)? Note that my weekly water changes are 30% and am only using DIY CO2. I do plan on upgrading to a CO2 tank in the future.

Planted tanks are new to me so I'm still slowly learning - bare with me Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Toshi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cut down the lights to 2x54w (Good coverage of the entire tank?) till you get the gas tank CO2.

Try this routine with that amount of light above.
    Slightly less than 1/2 teaspoon of KNO3 2x a week
    1/8 teaspoon of KH2PO4 2x a week
    10ml of Seachem Flourish 2x a week
    GH (what is the GH of your tap?)....you can add more with Seachem Equilibrium with no issues though. Try slightly more than 1/2 teaspoon only after the water change.
    CO2 30ppm w/mist. (This is the most important thing to keep up or else non of the nutrient routine will work.)

Side note...stop using the pH buffer!

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Cut down the lights to 2x54w (Good coverage of the entire tank?) till you get the gas tank CO2.

Try this routine with that amount of light above.
    Slightly less than 1/2 teaspoon of KNO3 2x a week
    1/8 teaspoon of KH2PO4 2x a week
    10ml of Seachem Flourish 2x a week
    GH (what is the GH of your tap?)....you can add more with Seachem Equilibrium with no issues though. Try slightly more than 1/2 teaspoon only after the water change.
    CO2 30ppm w/mist. (This is the most important thing to keep up or else non of the nutrient routine will work.)

Side note...stop using the pH buffer!

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Hi Peter, I appreciate the help

Using only the 54w x2 light fixture I can still get pretty good coverage of the entire tank, so I'll disconnect the other fixture until I upgrade my CO2 as suggested.

I haven't purchased a GH and KH tester yet so I don't know the water hardness or CO levels. I assumed GH wasn't much of a issue so I was only planning on buying a KH tester so I can check out what my CO2 levels are at. Should I just get both?

As for the pH buffer, my tap water is 7.8+ so I only used it on the initial setup to get it more towards the neutral/acidic side. I don't use it after every water change or anything

Toshi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you add in those non-bicarbonate buffers to your tank, you are not going to be able to find the CO2 level using the pH/KH table anymore since your KH might not be bicarbonate.

Is there a local plant club in San Francisco? You would learn more and faster by joining the club imo.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    If you add in those non-bicarbonate buffers to your tank, you are not going to be able to find the CO2 level using the pH/KH table anymore since your KH might not be bicarbonate.

Is there a local plant club in San Francisco? You would learn more and faster by joining the club imo.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Thanks for the heads up on the buffer - didn't know about that. I'll have to check on local plant clubs - didn't cross my mind.

Thanks,
    Toshi