Thread: Ordering Cambarellus spp. from overseas

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Am currently contacting oversea sellers to ship some to me for home breeding.
    as of date, no luck. maybe next time i go bangkok or malaysia bring back some
    Last edited by benny; 8th Mar 2006 at 01:54. Reason: Split off topic thread for separate discussion

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ship them in, home breed, jack up prices for excess stock, sell only males. Monopolization!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    lol yea, that's what i intend to do
    if u want some, its better la. shipping fees can split.
    but i hafta go check with cites regarding permits etc.
    scarly stuck half way at the airport.
    as long as the sender side got international permit, he can send. but we need permit to bring in exotics too. haha.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm... . interesting proposal.. Hmm... . how much money are we talking about? PM me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeap, marrons are good to eat, especially when you fry them with sambal. Strangely, them seem to thrive better here than in Oz.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i don't think they're not allowed. just that they can't find sources to buy from? however, i think these don't need any special requirements, and since they're crayfish, it also means they're in abudance in their natural habitat. considering the rate they reproduce. lol.

they should be a cites species. i'll check when i'm not so lazy

p.s xnsdvd, i'm stil lacking of posts
    [email protected]
    msn me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    o yea, when u eat your marrons, your pocket don't hurt? considering they're at least $20 a piece here..

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    They're from the highlands of Mexico where it's nice and cold. Not sure how they'll fare with the heat over in SG, but since you guys are always running a chiller of some sort or another, that shouldn't be a problem.

You can find the seller for these on aquabid. Pairs can be picked up for $50 each with $35 shipping for up to two pairs. Might take them up to 4 months to become mature enough for breeding. I'm trying to breed them currently, but still no luck yet (just waiting for the female to molt to see if the matings were successful).

Also, just for kicks, just like in cherries, the orange is even more vivid in the females. Here's my for example.

Eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nah its too expensive bro. all those prices are in usd. convert them to SGD is like multiplying 1.8 in.
    100+ for a pair. definitely not what i call affordable.
    chiller wise, not really.
    what's the average temperature like over there at mexico? i'm thinking 24-26?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Correct, those are USD prices. It's $50 for a pair, not $100 for a pair. My mistake. It's very similar to the prices for S grade CRS (at least what I have to pay for to get them shipped over here to the states; that's before shipping too ).

The highlands in Mexico gets much colder that 24-26C. These guys can withstand temperatures of 0C during shipment. Right now I'm keeping them in 18C waters.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania
    Yeap, marrons are good to eat, especially when you fry them with sambal. Strangely, them seem to thrive better here than in Oz.

Wooooah woah woah! I wasn't suggesting you start eating Marrons... The poor things are endangered. Cherax quadricantus and Cherax destructus are called red claw crayfish or yabbies over in OZ

destructus being the ones with the fatter shorter claws. They're extremely good diggers, hence the name. Wonder if they'll destroy anything...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thx bro ibn.
    bro xnsdvd, i have checked with the seller on aquabid, he is currently one of the few holding them.

its $35 USD to ship, any amount. so this one we can split. considering, we're looking at around $70 SGD.
    $50 USD a pair, around $90 SGD (solely paid by buyer).
    i am currently asking him for a discount, and he says he wants to trade hgh quality CRS ( crystal red shrimps)
    easily, i can get them from our local bros, but then again, it wouldn't be worthwhile, cause when the livestock reaches over germany or usa, they'll most likely be dead. considering temperature and journey time.

i'd prefer to order in large quantities, hopefully we can split the shipping fees. as for price/pair, if its still too expensive, i will not order at all. a person who sells at cutthroat prices or monopolises the sale of crayfish at unreasonable isn't worth buying from. i rather have none than pay such a price.

if local fish shops can have the supply to sell them, there's no reason why they're so expensive or even rare.

in singapore, our cherry shrimp prices go from $0.45 SGD to $1.20 SGD EACH.
    in usa, i have seen $3.99 USD all the way up to $9.99 USD EACH.

look at the price difference. there is no such as rare, because most of us sell stock from our own tanks. all cherry shrimps in singapore are home bred or farm bred. farm bred are more expensive, and does not last longer than home bred.

sorry to be out of topic guys. abit depressed over with some death of my otos.

the point i'm trying to make is,

if these rare crayfish are being harvested from the wild and sold at high prices, none of us should even buy them. we're only supporting them in harvesting them to depletion.
    if they're home bred, then the population in the wild would be safe, and likewise wouldn't fetch high prices either.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you take 5 pairs, 45$ /pair
    10 pairs or more: 35$/pair.
    Sexes pairs, males and females, guaranteed.

all these prices are in USD,
    quoted from mail sent by the seller.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1st off we're getting OT. Add me to your MSN or PM me.

Secondly... haha, this is how i got into the whole conservation thing to begin with

So anyway, PM me.