Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What causes hair algae and how to get rid of them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by standoyo
    no big issue... but it's just there...the BBA. takes like a month to develop. scrape and appear another month later.
    That's precisely what I am doing now...WC and vacuuming from weekly basis now to daily routine...At times, I have the thought of revamping the whole tank but was put to stop as most of the plants are planted since day one and the hassle of finding another tank for my aro.

But that's for short term...how about long term ? There might be solutions but till now still looking for one

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The issue is probably fluctuating CO2 levels, meaning the CO2 is not dissolved on a constant rate/water circulation is not good. You also have to work on removing the existing BBA... otherwise they'll just stay and grow(more slowly) despite corrected conditions.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hair algae just on moss

i seems to be thoughts everywhere but no true conclusion though...

anyway, just to share my condition now;

running two MH lights on my 520 ltr tank where i use to be algae free for the first six months until recently started to find hair algae on my xmas moss... my plants is growing fine and healthy.

still trying to find to ultimate solution to it and of course the source of the problem...i'm now doing weekly half tank water change to see if it helps (very tiring process)...I'm consider lucky that the "govt tap" is just conveniently outside my door step, therefore no need to worry about PUB bills, just need to do it late night (dun be surprise to see somebody pulling hose in the middle of the night).

We'll keep the thread on the water changing outcome after 1 month (4 change of water)

Hope it work....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    My tank is 19 galon, light 72 W, DIY CO2.
    First I used Tetra Florapride as liquid fert, seems ok, only when changing the old CO2 formula with the new one, sometimes BBA appear, but then they'll die as the new CO2 continue to bubble.
    Then later I change Tetra Florapride with a cheaper liquid fert (probably house-made by the seller), I notice a few strand of hair algae appeared on my moss & riccia, then they grew uncontrollable until the green fur-like algae cover all moss, riccia, & HC

If I'm not wrong, from the reading of some threads, people said the balance of EI can solve this hair algae problem.
    I want to start dosing EI, currently I already have KNO3 & KH2PO4 in my hands.
    But I can't find K2SO4.
    Is it ok if only dose KNO3 & KH2PO4...?
    I'm afraid my tank parameter not balance & causing more algae problem...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Angel, unless the new liquid fertilizer contains NH3/NH4 or Urea then its unlikely to be the issue. Supplying good nutrients (easy with EI) along with high stable CO2 (DIY is the main issue here...why not get gas tank?) will get you better results in the long run.

KNO3 + KH2PO4 + a general trace mix product would do. The nutrients are ruled out if you dose enough via EI. All you need to focus is CO2 which is also your biggest weak point. You might want to lower the light to 36w to slow things down.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    I think gas tank is too much for my 60cm tank...
    I'm considering to convert to low maintenance non CO2 tank...
    Does Tetra Florapride act like general trace mix product...? Or should I find another product?
    Yeah I should lower the light coz the trimming jobs so tiring.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Why would it be? So many of us have a gas tank for 60cm tanks, like me

Non-CO2 is wonderful, but growth will be almost static. You'll have to enjoy looking at your tank very much to appreciate non-CO2.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|

Non-CO2 is wonderful, but growth will be almost static. You'll have to enjoy looking at your tank very much to appreciate non-CO2.

Hmm... Maybe I like it the "almost static" way, I have non CO2 nano tank in my office, almost no trimming, what a relieve...!!

Does non CO2 tank will not attack by this hair algae...?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There will still be a possiblity, but if you set it up right and don't tamper with it, hair algae shouldn't hit.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    is there a way to treat moss with hair algae? like using diluted bleach? out of main tank of course...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    is there a way to treat moss with hair algae? like using diluted bleach? out of main tank of course...
    A total blackout in a small tank might help as does growing them emergent temporarily.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    emergent...that's a great idea...to save some precious moss and keep stock...out of aquarium...not a cure for collectoritis but a way to beat back hair algae while figuring out what's wrong.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Well guys... how's ur effort in fighting hair algae...
    Any improvement...? Any new idea / ways to fight them more efficiently?
    Last time I gave up throwing my big clumps of moss in trash can
    They're extremely covered by hair algae. I've even tried to add more CO2 by adding more DIY CO2 bottles (I usually use 1 bottle, now I have 3 bottles with 3 different airstones bubbling in 3 different spots).
    Other algaes like BBA seems not a problem for me, they'll easily die off after we add CO2, but this hair algae...
    Really pain in the ***...

Do post your latest condition okay...
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Hm... no one has any improved experience yet?
    Seems moss is the most favorite spot for hair algae... am I right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yup, you are right
    So far my experience is you can't have large Altums[predators] in tank and expect the critters to take out the hair algae. duh.

Regards

Stan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    how do u guys remove the hair algae manually? for me i am use a toothbrush to brush against the affected moss to remove the hair algae..

any better ways to remove them?
    "L" plate gardener

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup, you are right
    So far my experience is you can't have large Altums[predators] in tank and expect the critters to take out the hair algae. duh.

Regards

Stan
    Ya....I had 1 abt 4inch long autum and 4 nos long noise, no wonder i had hair grass on dennerle sand.

What do you think if i would to add PH down from 6.5 to 5.5 and a ph of 2 or using 2 cylinder CO2 instead of 1 nos (had a extra CO2),change H20 now and another 50% 3 day later.

thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by freezze
    how do u guys remove the hair algae manually? for me i am use a toothbrush to brush against the affected moss to remove the hair algae..

any better ways to remove them?
    Well I just remove it with tweezer, or simply with finger...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Frankly toothbrush is the best method to remove hair algae. Fast and efficient

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That is what I am planning to do this weekend... The hair algae is really difficult to remove just by plucking...

But will increasing the CO2 stop their return?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast