Country
    Singapore

Technical query about Computer/Monitor

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hey folks.

i had a problem with my monitor in the morning.

when i switched on the computer, the monitor was "on" but the screen was blank.

subsequently, i i removed the input cable from the CPU. i did not see a "no signal input" screen

i am able to use my computer now and thus post this question. hence, what is the problem here? is it my graphics card? or is it my monitor?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    have u seen a "no signal input" before previously on this monitor when u remove the input cable? Not all monitors behave the same way, especially the older ones.

and what did u do subsequently & hence manage to post this question?

my gut feel is that there's a change in the screen resolution or probably horizontal frequency which the monitor can't really handle.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Gregorsamsa, what brand and model of monitor you use? I have the same problem. The monitor will just switch off at times and I have to flip the switch from 'ON' to 'OFF' and wait a minute or two before switching it on again. I'm using ViewSonic VP171b monitor.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    Gregorsamsa, what brand and model of monitor you use? I have the same problem. The monitor will just switch off at times and I have to flip the switch from 'ON' to 'OFF' and wait a minute or two before switching it on again. I'm using ViewSonic VP171b monitor.

im using 107T philips. yup i guess it is indeed monitor failure. i have to switch the monitor on and off three times just now to get to a normal screen.

thanks for the reply. but how long can it last? it has been eight years already but im hoping to stretch it till may...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I tend to suspect loose connections. My brother's computer was working fine until one day the monitor showed blank. The CPU was running as normal.

I took the casing off and just "adjusted" the graphics card. It was working fine after that.

Check your power cables for the monitor too.

And yea, if all else fails and it's getting irritating, get a LCD if you're not a gamer. They're damn cheap nowadays.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine is lcd leh. Close to a year I think. But this thing happen less when the air-con is on.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there's another possibility - your PC power scheme has been set to turn off your monitor after 20 min to save energy and to prolong CRT life. If this mode has kicked-in, turning your monitor on & off wouldn't help - you have to move your mouse to wake your monitor up. You had probably moved your mouse inadvertently while doing so. Then again, since you've been using your monitor for 8 years, I'll doubt this is the root cause

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    Mine is lcd leh. Close to a year I think. But this thing happen less when the air-con is on.
    By what brand?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Viewsonic VP171b.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my monitors definitely blown... using school computer now..

have to buy a new monitor and that means i have to forgo new equipment

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, you win some, you lose some. Same thing happen to me. I had my diy pc running for nearly 2 months when the monitor from my previous pc blow out. Had to go out and spend my money meant for my marine setup. Haven't recovered yet.