Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How do you reduce mortality rate during overhaul

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Everytime I do a tank overhaul, especially cleaning up and redoing the tank, I always get a dead fish or two after cleaning. I do keep 2 bucket of the old water and I keep my fish there while I clean up the tank. After cleaning, I add new water first, then the old one and finally returning the fish back. Am I doing the right thing and is this common?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Jungle mania,
    Define overhaul? and did you acclimatise the fish and water properly. If your overhaul means everything take out scrub clean and put back....you are throwing away precious BB and seriously upsetting the tank's cycle.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Keep the filter running with the old water along with the fish/critters in a pail will help as does heavy planting and getting the plants up to speed in growth.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    OK, I will do just that.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Why would you need a overhaul? You sounds like you are overhauling the tank quite often.

Overhauling the tank is stressful for the fishes. Even if you are able to keep the water good and acclimatising the fishes, the fishes might succumb to the stress caused by the netting and changes in water.

In so many years, I only did an overhaul once when I need to change the substrate. Otherwise, I did all the rescaping with the fishes in my tank. In a few times, I totally took out all the plants and driftwood while the fishes are in the tank. Of course, I took care not the stir up the substrate too much. Usually, I do not have much problem as I planted very heavily to deal with any possible NH3 or NO2 spike.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I actually have only done it twice long ago. but I never got around to ask this question. I did it then because I was new to the hobby and I had alot of leaf litter in the background. getting to them caused alot of stirring and knocking of plants over as it was 1.5 feet tank.