Images
    Country
    Singapore

Why do this??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I received the following email from National Parks. It speaks for itself.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear Volunteers,

I want to share a piece of news with you, but it was a terrible and sad
    one.

Yesterday. an adult colugo (flying lemur) with a baby was being shot down
    and mishandled by a group of men at Petai Trail, MacRitchie. The mother
    colugo suffered severe fractures and had to be put down to sleep after
    being sent to the zoo. The baby is now in our care- hopefully it will
    survive without its mother.

Aaron, a nature photographer, who was at the scene had posted some of his
    pictures here:

http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg...ID2/574.html#1

According to witnesses, the culprits are 3 Chinese men aged between 40-50.
    They were speaking in Hokkien and behaved aggressively. Apparently, they
    have come prepared for this "hunting trip" with sling-shots and bags. They
    escaped in different directions as the crowd gathered to intervene.

If you happen to come across any suspicious people in the forest, please do
    not hesistate to call us at 64685736 or the police at 999.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    *shake head* Hope that the baby survives.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i wanna tie them to a tree and shoot slingshots at them till they bleed..!!! ergh!!! so infuriating!!! A COLUGO SOMEMORE!!!! they better dont come across me in the reserves... rangers wont know which to save first.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    tie to tree and apply honey.

actually should be jailable offence right. if cruelty to cats go to jail, then killing animals in the reserve should also go to jail.
    Last edited by benny; 27th Mar 2006 at 12:45. Reason: merge post
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That's bad.

I saw the documentary "Life of Mammals" by Sir David Attenborough.
    In one sequence, there was some mammal gliding so beautifully from tree to tree. I wonder if that was the "Flying Lemur"?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    People,

I share your disdain for such selfish acts on our precious little fauna. However, I'd like to caution against over reacting and attacking people you see in our forests who do such things. Better to call the police, and trail them from a safe distance (keep visual contact in army speak) so that you can direct the police to the culprits.

Getting photographic proof is also dangerous if the perpetrators see you shooting them and demand your camera, so please act with discernment OK?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think 'mishandle' is an understatement. In older times, people do it for food. Now, I think they do it for fun. Really sad
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Crap Fellers! really need to get then severly punished!
    If I were a fish, I'd BREED all Day!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by GaspingGurami
    People,

I share your disdain for such selfish acts on our precious little fauna. However, I'd like to caution against over reacting and attacking people you see in our forests who do such things. Better to call the police, and trail them from a safe distance (keep visual contact in army speak) so that you can direct the police to the culprits.

Getting photographic proof is also dangerous if the perpetrators see you shooting them and demand your camera, so please act with discernment OK?
    Fortunately, there was a crowd of people in this case. If you're alone, it's better to play it safe. You wouldn't want to be "mishandled" by them either.

If you're a good actor, you can play along and get them to pose with their catch...
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    People,

i know better than that... its just my first thoughts.. doesn't mean i'll act on them...unless i was forced to.
    i actually like Vinz's idea...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vinz
    Fortunately, there was a crowd of people in this case. If you're alone, it's better to play it safe. You wouldn't want to be "mishandled" by them either.

If you're a good actor, you can play along and get them to pose with their catch...
    an excellent idea, you can even ask for their name and address so you can mail them the photos
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    an excellent idea, you can even ask for their name and address so you can mail them the photos
    Ummm, if I was going to be doing something illegal eg poaching for fish or hunting for animals or snaring for birds, I'd not like to have my picture taken even by my own group member, let alone a stranger, no matter how friendly they seem to be. These are words from a reformed poacher after spending a night in Toa Payoh station's cell with a suspected bike thief and a suspected rapist at the young age of 16 years.

There are accounts from another fishing forum of members challenging Thai immigrants when they spot them drift netting in our reservoirs. But better to remember to call NParks first before your passion take over. tel number is 6468 5736, better still, program it into your phone.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ummm, if I was going to be doing something illegal eg poaching for fish or hunting for animals or snaring for birds, I'd not like to have my picture taken even by my own group member, let alone a stranger, no matter how friendly they seem to be. These are words from a reformed poacher after spending a night in Toa Payoh station's cell with a suspected bike thief and a suspected rapist at the young age of 16 years.

haiz, it was meant as an insult to their (the poachers) intelligence. you all take everything so literally huh?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    HWChoy, I meant it for the more impressionable ones. In the fishing forum, some kids literally took the suggested threats of other forummers to heart and was daring to go after the immigrants.

Total defence is one thing, but policing should be left to those charged with the duty to do so.

On a lighter note, I once saw what looked like Indonesian infiltrators walking around West Coast Park one evening around last light, carrying rifles. I called 999 from the nearest phone booth, then tried to maintain surveillance...

Then the "enemy" started their assault... They loaded their rifles, cocked it and took aim... Then the police came with sirens wailing. The "enemy" lowered their weapons and approached the police. Started to talk, looked around... They were from the Gun club, volunteer crow shooters and they looked around to see who is the "Seow On" caller.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Then the "enemy" started their assault... They loaded their rifles, cocked it and took aim... Then the police came with sirens wailing. The "enemy" lowered their weapons and approached the police. Started to talk, looked around... They were from the Gun club, volunteer crow shooters and they looked around to see who is the "Seow On" caller.
    I can imagine the looks on the volunteers when they looked around for the caller...

But it seems that there are still pretty senior folks out in our society who still hunts for this 'la' (flying foxes known in Hokkien) as part of their wild game cuisines... My grand-uncle is one such person...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Some people get pretty stupid... especially if they have an attitude that what they are doing is not "wrong".

You have to watch their current frame of mind at the time. If they are friendly and boasting of their kill... chances are they are stupid and you probably have a good chance. If they are cautious and wary, then chances are they know the kind of shit they can get into (with the law) and you best not try anything.

I do get your point.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually, during my last few trips on macritchie, I have been snapping people doing various actions like feeding fishes, plucking leaves and plants

if you want to teach them a lesson then best for you to apply to be a volunteer ranger. I'm thinking of it, but my health status doesn't permit me to
    Last edited by benny; 27th Mar 2006 at 12:54. Reason: merge post

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's sad every time I hear such news... I hope the culprits get caught
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's pointless. A lot of them will never learn and understand why what they did was wrong. They will blame the government, the 'busybodies' who reported etc, but themselves. They see no wrong in it... Like the recent case where the whistleblower of the cat abuse case was scolded by the accused's family for being a busybody!...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by valice
    I can imagine the looks on the volunteers when they looked around for the caller...

But it seems that there are still pretty senior folks out in our society who still hunts for this 'la' (flying foxes known in Hokkien) as part of their wild game cuisines... My grand-uncle is one such person...

personally for me, hunting is "acceptable", but "torturing" is not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast