Images
    Country
    Singapore

1ft nano cube journal

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I need some comments on where to place the rock in my shrimp tank...also, a few of my shrimps died over the course of 1 night...anyone can offer explanation??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

update

i have added another mesh of moss at the back...FYI, i have c.parva at the side and taiwan moss. that is all.. any idea if taiwan moss is sufficient for shrimps to eat?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by rtcc86
    I need some comments on where to place the rock in my shrimp tank...also, a few of my shrimps died over the course of 1 night...anyone can offer explanation??
    I think it's because your filter has not matured yet...
    As a result, your tank's water chemistry fluctuates a lot..
    and shrimps are very sensitive to that...
    (need to 'cycle' tank for a longer period of time)

Same thing happened to me when i just set up my tank too...
    bought 6 cherry shrimps, 6 boraras merah and they all slowly died...
    Now, left 1 cherry and 2 merah, but all going strong...
    (think my filter has finally matured)

So it's better to start putting cherry shrimps in your tank in a well-planted tank and the plants are already healthy and growing well

u might also want to try the drip-system of acclimatising your fishes and shrimps before putting them into the tank...

can read more about it here...
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=14740

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcc86
    i have added another mesh of moss at the back...FYI, i have c.parva at the side and taiwan moss. that is all.. any idea if taiwan moss is sufficient for shrimps to eat?
    Pardon me if I'm wrong. Cherry shrimps don't feed on taiwan moss, this maybe one of the reasons your shrimps died:starvation. Buy some algae wafer for them please.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    are you running any fans?! what are the temp of your tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    erm... isn't it a little.. empty?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks alot guys...
    wks: can i feed them normal vegetables like carrots?
    xnsdvd: im waiting for my shrimps to breed so it wont look empty..anyway any suggestions on other shrimp friendly fauna?
    richietay: no fans but do you suggest i get one?
    gorilla83: what is the drip-system?

thanks for all your replies

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I read somewhere before you can feed shrimps with blanched cucumbers. But just buy a packet of algae wafers. A small packet of Hikari algae wafer cost $5 (C328 prices) and can last you for months, its convenient too!

I think that bro xnsdvd refers to your tank being abit bare cause there's too little plants, not faunas. Shrimps do prefer a heavily planted tank.

I would think it is advisable to get a fan, your Taiwan Moss will grow very lushly. IME, my Taiwan Moss grows v lush, with the help of 2 DIY PC fan, I got DIY CO2 though.

Lastly, I think that it is inevitable to have a few causualty when you introduce shrimps into the tank due to old age or transportation stress.Unless they are dropping like flies, then I wouldn't worry too much. Perhaps you can add a driftwood to create some hiding place for the shrimps, think they need it when they are moulting, they seems to like that.

Just my humble opinion though.
    A noob & poor aquarist

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quite an ingenious idea to cover the inlet of the pump with a pot of cotton wool, but it is very unsightly. The rock should be in the front with the c.parva crowding around it. And you tank is indeed very bare. I can't quite see the depth from your shot angle, but it looks rather shallow. have you considered doing a moss wall at the back?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kradeji: im afraid of adding dw as i dont want the tannins to leech and pollute my water like the 2ft tank i have now...anyway dw dont come in small sizes right? and for the algae wafers, how often do i feed them? also, diy co2 how do u DIY the bottle??
    junglemania: i was thinking of using plastic mesh to cover the inlet but i am afraid of the shrimplets getting into the inlet...u have any better suggestions? as for the rock, i placed it there so it could absorb the flow of the HOB...else if i place moss there the moss may not survive under the outflow of the filter..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OT but the crypts looks more like c.lucens than c.parva
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ya but is c.parva....and they are melting slooooooooowly...anyway wat is OT

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The Tannin acid can be rather irritating at times but it doesn't harm the faunas, heard it might be benefitial in fact. If you have got some existing driftwood, you can break them into smaller pieces. You can also get more rocks.

For the amount of shrimps you have, I should think feeding about 1/4 to 1/2 of a wafer every other day should be more than sufficient.

i don't think your tank need CO2, its a chore and hassle to constantly DIY the CO2. The DIY bottle I use is a 1.5L coke bottle, I drill a hole in the bottle cap to put in a rubber tubing. The end of the tubing which is inserted into the bottle is cut at 45 degrees. i used a Silicone Sealant to seal the space between the cap and the tubing, on both sides of the cap.

Hey bro, will you be adding more plants or just waiting for the Moss to grow out?
    A noob & poor aquarist

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kradeji: so i guess fan is highly recommended..as for flora+fauna, i dun want to overload HOB with too much fauna..maybe get one oto..or any suggestions?? flora i need those no co2 plants...
    as for rocks...anyone know where to get dark coloured rocks or grey ones (looks like black granite or slate) both looks nice...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi guys... i took pic of top view and side view of tank to give perspective...any suggestions on improvements are VERY GREATLY appreciated!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Other than otos, I think you should keep to a pure shrimpie tank for the moment cause IMO all fishes will makan shrimplets if it fits into their mouth Also fishes produce a higher waste load as compared to shrimps. Wait for the tank to mature 1st. in the meanwhile, you can check out Boraras brigittae, one of the most shrimp safe fish due to their small size, its also a beauty cause of their colour. If you want variety can try other shrimps.

As for fauna, you can try windelov, I have never tried before though I think it is a great looking plant. The only reason I didn't try is because I am trying to achieve a simple and quiet look with my tank, so don't want to have too many type of plants, it takes alot of discipline though
    A noob & poor aquarist

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bro, maybe you can also try tying moss to the rock as well? and maybe a mini moss wall?
    Personally i would prefer a all moss tank to keep shrimps. Your shrimps would love it.

just my 2cent suggestion only

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    agree with kemp, add more moss! well, if can, check out kemp's shrimp tank, looks cool, with flourish moss wall also!
    create more hideout for ur cherries, they will love it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Just to add on about shrimps kaputing, I too, started a shrimps only tank. My shrimps knocked off one by one over a period of a week! Same thing happened when I re-stocked.

Finally, by chance, the 3rd stock was all babies and teens (haha). The result, no casualties at all! Must be linked to the younglings being more resilient or something.

Now my specs:

KH - 12dKh!, no ill effects on shrims detected
    C02 - 19ppm
    Temp - 26 - 27C
    Water top up whenever necessary
    Food - Hikari algae wafers cut into teeny bits, my shrimps party on them.

Hope this is useful.
    Psst...beware of the armless swordsman!
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i just came back from NA...bought Hikari wafers...however im still considering whether to buy a fan... CA sells for $13....a bit too steep.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast