Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Where can i buy sand (like beach sand)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Where can i buy sand (like beach sand)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hey there i keeping hermit crabs.. and there arent any hermit crab forums here...
    could someone tell me where i can get sand for my crabs? best if it were beach sand...
    i live in the west so i'll go to a beach and get some if i could, but i'm sure i can buy it some where here in the west...

can someone help me please???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seriously, if you are looking for beach sand... then that's the best place to get it! Why buy???
    Click here to help me make my Fish Room Project a reality!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi there, welcome to AQ! OceanFree has a product known as 'Repti Hermit Sand'. It comes in cans of different sizes. I have 1 can (750g) that costs me $10 from Qian Hu. You can try this... I have yet to try mine, so I cannot give proper comments on it...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I got the fine sand for my daughter's tank from the fish shop in Tampines, opposite the Temasek Poly.
    You can see the sand here:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=19183

MS

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kuckles,
    Welcome to Aquatic quotient. Is there a specific reason why you must get beach sand? Some shops do sell those fine sand, you could try C328 over at Clementi. But like Weirong said, why buy when you could get it for free
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Be careful with sand collected from playground and beaches. If not cleaned properly, they can kill your pets.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought fine beach-like sand from Nature Aquarium. Very dusty though, it took me quite a good bit of washing (all that water! ) to clear it up.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Why buy when you can get it FOC? Changi beaches have finer sands than that of East Coast (and cleaner as well).

I'd rather take a trip to the beach, collect as much sand as I can (probably a bucket) and save that bit of money. Anyways, Singapore isn't that big yah.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Also, be careful about collecting sand home. You don't want NParks people to question why you are taking sand away from the beaches... Check first...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz
    Also, be careful about collecting sand home. You don't want NParks people to question why you are taking sand away from the beaches... Check first...

:P kuckles been to army before? If yes, then use the cover and conceal method.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanx guys...

i dun really wana beach sand coz its dirty... pple let their dogs do their business in it n i dun wana be keepin s**t in my tank... yah n i'm concerned for my crabs... how do i wash sand that i buy????

I'm keeping hermit crabs and i hear beach sand is the best for them...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Kuckles is a gal..

so nope, no army for me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

where is c238 in clementi?

where exactly is this place i can get the sand?? i dont drive or anythin like that so i'll have a hard time gg dwn to the beach juus to get sand that might be full of dog poop, dead fish and stuff..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    CLEMENTI FLORIST & AQUARIUM (C32
    Blk 328, Clementi Avenue 2, #01-210, Singapore 120328
    Tel: 67778468
    (Closed on Sundays)

There are other shops along that block as well but this is the original C328

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kuckles, most plant nurseries sell white sand for growing carpet grass. They are exactly like beach sand but harvested from further in-land river. Each pack roughly 5kg costs only $2 - $3.

Do not collect sand from beaches. It can be polluted from chemical/oil-spills, dog-poo, etc.

Using sand for keeping hermit crab is ok. I don't encourage those who plan to use fine sand for planting. The sands are too fine for roots growth and constantly high PH.