Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Exploring montane forest of Matang area

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Last Sunday, I was exploring deep into lower montane forest and mossy forest to search for some species of pitcher plants. (altitude > 2500 feet)

There are some secret jungle trails near the summit which are not known by most of the people.

10 minutes after entering a shady montane forest, I found Nepenthes hirsuta.

20 minutes later, my friend, Lau informed me that he saw a pitcher plant near a short tree. I was shocked to see that beautiful plant....it is Nepenthes albomarginata !!! This is my first time to see a wild N. albomarginata !!! I told Lau that this species is very unique as it got white band of hairs below the pitcher mouth.

Then, less than a meter away, I saw a big population of Nepenthes tentaculata grow embedded in clumps of a species of moss, genus name is Sphagnum. At the moment, I was speechless and excited. At last, I found 2 species of pitcher plants which I never seen in the wild before.

Another interesting thing about N. tentaculata is those empty shell of cocoons (of moth ???) cling on the inner wall of the pitcher!!! This is really amazing as most of the insects can not climb on the wall of pitcher and escape from being become the victim of this carnivorous plant. However, I was shocked to see those cocoons on the wall of the pitcher. This is truly the wonder of the nature!!!

more on this link:

http://www.ibanorum.netfirms.com/serapi2006.htm
    Last edited by kuching; 19th Jul 2007 at 21:57.
    Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Below 2000 feet, Nepenthes gracilis and Nepenthes ampullaria are growing abundantly along the road to the summit. Nepenthes rafflesiana and Nepenthes mirabilis are spotted in the kerangas forest in the nearby area. All these 4 species are very common in lowland area.

In this trip, I found 4 others species in the lower montane & a habitat looks like mossy forest above 2500 feet. They are N. albomarginata, N. hirsuta, N. reinwardtiana and N. tentaculata. A single plant of N. mirabilis is spotted at a location above 2500 feet.
    Last edited by kuching; 19th Jul 2007 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Just for info's sake.. i'm quite sure those aren't moth cocoons. If i'm not wrong they should belong to a family of insects known as

Order : Hemiptera
    Superfamily : coccoidea (common name scale insects)
    family : i'm am unsure.. my gues would be Kerriidae, Diaspididae or Coccidae..cant really tell

All in the photo are females.. since they are sessile.. males have wings and move around.
    As first instar nymphs, the have legs and antennae but loose them after their dispersal on the first molt on the host plant. A wax, sclae-like secretion is then formed while the insect developes and reproduces under it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    alright, here comes ranma the bugger *ahem* I mean the bug man.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    Just for info's sake.. i'm quite sure those aren't moth cocoons. If i'm not wrong they should belong to a family of insects known as

Order : Hemiptera
    Superfamily : coccoidea (common name scale insects)
    family : i'm am unsure.. my gues would be Kerriidae, Diaspididae or Coccidae..cant really tell

All in the photo are females.. since they are sessile.. males have wings and move around.
    As first instar nymphs, the have legs and antennae but loose them after their dispersal on the first molt on the host plant. A wax, sclae-like secretion is then formed while the insect developes and reproduces under it.
    Thankyou so much for the info!!!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    No probs.. if i'm in the area i'll let you know and follow you out on one of your treks can?? kekeke..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    No probs.. if i'm in the area i'll let you know and follow you out on one of your treks can?? kekeke..
    probably i'm not around in the area since i got too many plans...but u can pm me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    haha..no probs.. oh.. by the way.. nice pics..