Advertise here
    Do they need plenty of light?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No, Sherwin. I planted my crypts at the balcony and they are growing well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    depends on the plants. Lotus (the real lotus, not waterlilies) need plenty of direct sun. mine mati already. But the Echinodous, bacopa, tiger lotus etc all doing well with just an hour of passing direct sun (planted in a trough along HDB corridor). The moment these plants get out of the water they grow into huge monsters (E. grandiflorus).

Another positive feature for the busy working man/woman, with aquatic plants you don't have to worry about watering them [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    and no pests as well. the only main problem most of us have are algae and all sort of them ! been spending more time than i initially thought due to these darn algae. i guess my tank's bio system is not balanced at the moment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if you can grow aquatic plants, you don't have to worry about keeping land plants
    we have enough apparatus to grow marijuana, which is why plant keepers in the USA always get visits from the Drug Enforcement Agency

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had removed my E.tenellus from my tank due to BBA. Instaed of throwing it away I replanted it in an 1ft tub. Placed it at my corridor. The thing is that the place only recieves direct sunlight in the mornig for an hour or so. Not sure whether it's enuf or not.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/13/2002 1:03:07 AM

depends on the plants. Lotus (the real lotus, not waterlilies) need plenty of direct sun. mine mati already. But the Echinodous, bacopa, tiger lotus etc all doing well with just an hour of passing direct sun (planted in a trough along HDB corridor). The moment these plants get out of the water they grow into huge monsters (E. grandiflorus).

Another positive feature for the busy working man/woman, with aquatic plants you don't have to worry about watering them [:]
    ----------------
    In growing emersed aquatic plants, do we need to keep the leaves moist sometimes? What about the soil - must be very wet like padi field?

From what I see at Teo's Farm, the ground is kept quite wet where plants are grown emersed.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Teo's is an anomaly actually. What I find is that those plants they have in the shaded section (which gets a shower every 15 minutes) are not very suitable for emmersed culture, unless in a terrarium or you can affored to spray the thing every hour. For example, the Anubias i took from there soon had their leaves curling up and I have to wait for it to regrow 'proper' emmersed leaves. Those which grow in the exposed area are fine, as their foliage is already acclimatised to full sun. But generally, most plants that can grow emmersed dun need to get their leaves wet (java fern and Bolbities are exceptions), just their roots.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    any one has bolbities grown emersed ? willing to trade ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Sherwin and KF, no problem growing these things emersed. I have a "pond" with about 6-in of water (8-in less substrate) but you can use less water (padi-field effect). Let the plant grow in the water with little exposure. Once they start sprouting emersed leaves they will grow very big very quickly. My E. grandiflorus is flowering profusely and the Marble Queen just started with 2 emersed leaves. I too only get an hour or so of direct morning sun, no problem at all.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The reason I'm asking is becos the glosso/E.tenellus at Teo's are sun under the sun the whole day without shade. My E.tenellus only gets 1 hour sun.... dun know enuf or not.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]