Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Low ph

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can anyone advise if my ph is always drops to 6 and KH is 4 should there be any problem? I'm using ADA soil and always finds ph drops tremendously from 6.5 to 6.0 within a day or 2. Any recommendation of maintaining the ph at 6.5? My co2 inject is set at 3bps. Please advise.

Regards,
    Kevin Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevino
    Can anyone advise if my ph is always drops to 6 and KH is 4 should there be any problem? I'm using ADA soil and always finds ph drops tremendously from 6.5 to 6.0 within a day or 2. Any recommendation of maintaining the ph at 6.5? My co2 inject is set at 3bps. Please advise.

Regards,
    Kevin Lee
    Check your KH again...my bet is it went down as well due to the peat effect of the ADA aquasoil. You cannot measure CO2 the conventional way with ADA aquasoil.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

I've just check my KH again with sera KH indicator(dropper type). The test result is still 4 drops after it changes to yellow therefore I concluded KH at 4. Please help.

Regards
    Kevin Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What are you using to measure the pH? Does your set bubble rate move from its set point?

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

I'm using a PH meter which has a probe inserted into the tank. I've also just check the ph with those conventional dropper type and result still shows 6. Sorry I don't understand your question by 'Does your set bubble rate move from its set point?'. Can you elaborate?

Regards
    Kevin Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Your 3bps is constant or does it move a bit throughout the day? Eg. 2.5bps first then slowly creep up to 3bps and etc.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi

I am also using ADA soil.. yeps, PH will come down to 5.8-6, i even reached 5.6 when dozin a bit more Co2 than needed... and worst, my KH was low, about 1-1.5, so as u imagine, the fluctuation in PH values was quite big..

what i did was to add a bit of Sodium Bicarbonate (NAHCO3), and this should serve as a buffer... my ph increases, and is more or less stable...

but i have to monitor to see if fluctuation is not so much.. still under observation.. after adding about a teaspoonful of NAHCO3, my ph now moreorless stable at 6.6-6.9

would be happy if some of the bros here can comment...

oh, ya, i am attributing the death of a few of my yamatos (most of them) to that drop in PH... my fishes are taking it 'okay' for now... I hope the sodium bicarbonate acts as a reliable buffer...
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

Hi, Peter,
    It is quite consistent where I'm using a soloniod to control the folow rate.

Thanks AquaObsession. Where did you get this Sodium Bicarbonate (NAHCO3)? And how long will it maintain 6.6-6.9? Yes, I think more bro using ADA can help.

Regards,
    Kevin Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevino
    Hi, Peter,
    It is quite consistent where I'm using a soloniod to control the folow rate.

Thanks AquaObsession. Where did you get this Sodium Bicarbonate (NAHCO3)? And how long will it maintain 6.6-6.9? Yes, I think more bro using ADA can help.

Regards,
    Kevin Lee
    Then you should be fine. I'll not trust the pH meter readings very much unless the thing is calibrated well before each use. The rate going into the tank is the same hence the amount of CO2 in the tank should relatively be the same as well. Look at your plants as the main test kit instead of numbers so much. As long as they are pearling well and no growth of BBA and other algae, your CO2 is good.

Baking soda is readily available in all major supermarkets, mama shops and etc.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi

My ph reading is reliable... calibrate with ph 7 and Ph4.

so far i added NAHCO3 2 days ago... when co2 is on and lights on, my ph aroud 6.5-6.9

I noticed that earling morning, my ph is 6.5. I assume it will remain stable around this value for the day.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession
    Hi

My ph reading is reliable... calibrate with ph 7 and Ph4.

so far i added NAHCO3 2 days ago... when co2 is on and lights on, my ph aroud 6.5-6.9

I noticed that earling morning, my ph is 6.5. I assume it will remain stable around this value for the day.
    Yes, your pH reading might be accurate but then again, your actual CO2 would be lower than readings could predict due to the peat depressing the pH rather than CO2 entirely.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sure sure,,, I know i cannot calculate Co2 ppm based on my ph and KH reading... this is why i need to do by trial and error... so far i am not seeing algae, but my pearling is low..... fishes are doing fine though, initially a bit stressed by fluctuation in ph..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Then you should be fine. I'll not trust the pH meter readings very much unless the thing is calibrated well before each use. The rate going into the tank is the same hence the amount of CO2 in the tank should relatively be the same as well. Look at your plants as the main test kit instead of numbers so much. As long as they are pearling well and no growth of BBA and other algae, your CO2 is good.
    mine no algae,no bba but plants not pearling........ph also same problem, quite low....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Regards

Hey Guys,

Bought KH up from NA and dose according to Mr Chan recommendation and now maintain around 6.5....