Singapore

Maintaining Java fern

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

Some qns on java fern ...

My ferns bubbles but they don't seem to be growing.

Are they self-propagating and how ? Or they need human assistance for eg. retying ?

Is Java fern consider a fast grower ?

The tips of some java fern leaves have bba ... do i snip the whole leaf or just the tip and it will grow back ??

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    From my experience, java fern grows quite slowly. In fact it thrives in dimmer light. In my case, I use java moss to provide some shading for my java ferns(My lighting is slightly below 2 watt per gallon). If u find new plantlets growing from the parent leaf, u can tie the plantlets to the driftwood as the parent leaf will die off soon.
    For bba, throw in some ceratophyllum demersum and let it floats. bba will eventually clear off but this may take at least 2 to 3 months.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thks. Quite troublesome in that case to maintain java ferns as they don't propagate easily on their own like most other plants. In the mean time, I will have fewer and fewer leaves as I trim them away due to algae or rot ... eventualy will throw it away when leaves get too few I guess. Sigh ....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't pass the death sentence on your java ferns yet. U probably gave them too much light or the water condition is poor. take the plants out and grow them emersed. they will soon bounce back.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mine also have the same fate as yours. I heard we have to cut away the old leaves. The new leaves will grow. I will try this when I have reasonably good propagation of the new leaves from the old ones. Hope it works.
    Welcome to visit my-blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thks guys.

wks : emerged meaning soak the base in water but the leaves are exposed to air ?

all : cut the leaves away and new one will grow. cut the affected part and it will grow back or at the stalk of the leave ?

thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    folks, just tot i share what i found

http://www.netpets.org/fish/referenc.../javafern.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 6/14/2002 10:09:37 AM

thks guys.

wks : emerged meaning soak the base in water but the leaves are exposed to air ?

all : cut the leaves away and new one will grow. cut the affected part and it will grow back or at the stalk of the leave ?

thks.
    ----------------
    U need to soak the baseof the plant and driftwood in the water. Yes, the leaves are exposed to air. Check on water level daily so that the plants don't dry up. Sprinkle regularly to moist the leaves if the ambient temperature is too high (>30C).

Don't cut the leaves unless they are dying or covered with those nasty algae. Remember new leaves won't grow as fast after u cut the old ones off. Cut the entire stalk if u need to, I normally leave them alone.