Thread: Project: Bringing a murderer to justice

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    You're right, Benny. I wanted to volunteer a couple of times but as I'm not a moderator in AQ, I thought it was best to leave this to you all.

So if you want me to head the campaign, I will. If this takes off however, I have to warn you all that in later stages, I may move this whole discussion to killies.com. Since I'm more comfortable there, you can't blame me for doing this.

First off, I need a team of 5, at least. I need someone to act as treasurer. I think he may have to open a special bank account just for this. He has to be someone who has to have a paypal account too as contributions may come from overseas. I need someone to link us to the "Nature Society". I'm sure they will help. I need a spokesman, someone who's familiar with the story and can represent us when we get questioned by the press. I need someone to get in touch with the police to see if we need special permission to do this. I need someone who's a lawyer or knows one. We need to draft up the offer of the reward carefully. We also have to decide what to do with the money in case no one steps forward with information. I need someone to draw up a digital poster. We can work out the details of the poster later but off the cuff, I think we should use the subject heading, "Bringing a murderer to justice".

Let's meet. Let's do it tonight at Eco-Culture. I'll be there at 8 pm. If I can't get a team of 5, I will have to abandon the whole thing.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kwek Leong,

Great stuff!

You don't have to be a moderator here in order to start anything. AQ is a free web based community and serves as a platform for all the members to interact. Not an exclusive club.

No problems with where the activity is residing/co-ordinated, be it www.AquaticQuotient.com or www.killies.com. We can always appoint some members to keep the respective audience of each site updated.

I know XnSdVd is able to do graphics and I'm sure he will be more than willing to help in this area. As for the rest, we might have to look around. Perhaps budak?

As such, calling for a meeting in 4 hours time may be a little bit short notice and I am sure the attendence will be dissapointing. I would proposed meeting tomorrow to give at least 24 hours notice to would be supporters for this program.

Cheers,

p.s I will split this thread out and lock the original thread.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I did a few checks actually, and it seems Benny you're right that we need to sell something in order to collect the money. My little idea of a self-declaration form is still pretty grey so I don't think that will work.

Kwek Leong, if it is later at Eco I'll come down. Can't make it that early.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Okay, Choy, I'll be at Eco at 9 pm then.

I don't think we have to sell anything to collect donations. If it's a donation, people don't usually expect to get anything in return.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    OK see you there. I'm still queuing up to bathe and dinner, kids are in front of the queue. beep you when I manage to leave the house.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Would a collaboration with acres helps?Since they are involved with animal welfare education and such.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well well... benny's started reading my mind I would love to be involved in this. And as for associating ourselves with a larger, well established(and legal) group. I think it'll give this movement more presence and credibility. As opposed to "siao fish people with nothing better to do"

Do we have a lawyer yet? if not i could ask around... i know several...
    Last edited by michael lai; 30th Mar 2006 at 15:09.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For the benefit of those who just read this thread, might not know what is going on and what "murderer" we are talking here, can refer to:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=19418
    Last edited by michael lai; 30th Mar 2006 at 18:53.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just in case you thought I chickened out on spearheading the campaign, I like you all to know that Choy and I had a discussion on this and we decided that the best people to carry out the campaign are the good folks from the Nature Society. Choy was the only person to turned up at eco-culture to meet me. Without more help, there's little we can do.

Anyway, we met one of their officials of the Nature Society last week at the Botanical Gardens. She thought our proposal (to collect funds as a reward for information) is a good one but she needs to ask the other members of her committee before she can come to a decision.

But it's been several weeks since the incident so Choy and I are of the opinion that the trail has gone cold. Public interest in the murder of the mother culogo has sort of fizzled out so it will be difficult to raise funds now. I won't blame anyone for dragging his feet as I am guilty of this also. But I told the official from the Nature Society that although it may be too late to do anything for the mother colugo, we should take this opportunity to work out a contingency plan in case someone does something similar in future. There's little point in ranting and raving whenever someone murders an innocent animal. We should do something but without a contingency plan in place, we won't be quick enough to catch the offender.

The official from the nature society promised that she will look into this. If Choy and I have any news on further developments, we will let you know. Thanks to all who offered to help.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As usual I'm always free. Or willing to skip math lectures(i signed up for ART!!) for the good of the ecosystem.