Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Smile D.I.Y. thread/forum

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    One strange thing about hobbyists is that we get lots of kicks from building/making or even creating something out of nothing. This, I believe, is what drives us deeper into the hobby. Build something to your own satisfaction!

Just take one look at your tank, I am sure you have had some form of modification done. It could be just a simple extension of power-cord (because the pump electrical cable is too short), or you decided to build your own CO2 diffuser/mixer.

Some prefer to go out and buy ready-to-use gadgets, while some prefer to build one. For me, I am into D.I.Y. most of the time. When I decided to go into planted setup, I found this unused 4-ft AZOO 300W MH lamp holder (in my store) from my previous marine setup. Spend some weeks & one-or-two hundreds and mod it to become my existing T5 holder for 3 X 39W. Don't think I saved a lot but I am really satisfied to see an old piece of equipment being put into re-use again.

I hope the sponsor/moderator/whoever can agree to start a section/category on D.I.Y., specifically focused on "how-to D.I.Y." questions/answers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Alan,

If you are keen to explore this area and are hands on enough, we are more than happy to create a DIY section.

Would you be game enough to tackle some projects and document it? We can either create a DIY discussion forum or even a resource section to put articles in it for future reference.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    a DIY section be good!
    Hope there be someone be guiding us, providing useful information!

certainly look forward for it!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Benny, I take it that you are in support of the idea, thank you indeed. I just want to highlight a few more thoughts and let us all decide if we should proceed from here.

Everyone of us posess some level of inguinity. It is a question of when and how we exhibit/express our thoughts. With the Internet today it has open us up more, thereby allowing us to express ourselves freely and share ideas openly. I hope that with the DIY section, every member/reader of this forum can help promote creativeness and benefit from sharing of ideas.

DIY is not meant to answer "how-to" questions if the query can be found in the instruction manual of the purchased equipment. Instead DIY is aimed to extend help to those who ran into problems dued to limitation of the bought equipment. Or for that matter, the individual decides to build a better one, or modify one where he/she finds the bought equipment is unsuitable.

Although I mentioned I like DIY, I must admit that I am no expert here. I am no electrician but I succeeded (after doing some research) to modify my MH into a T5 hood. The idea of the DIY section is to promote creativeness and encourage contributions from all forum users. In terms of my contributions... to document articles and perhaps provide tips, that is not a problem.

Supporters please say something; Nay-sayers please give us your views.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Interesting thoughts Alan.

Let's see if we can support this initiative. Perhaps I can discuss this separately with you.

In the meantime....

http://www.kingvinnie.com/aquaria/diy/

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm all for it for the idea!!! That will be a really neat idea, and that's what gonna make AquaticQuotient even more unique!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it is a good idea. Some of us DIY because of budget while some of us DIY because we like to DIY. I do agree that it is good to share DIY information so if next time another forumer wants to do the same thing or want to modify the idea, he is able to start off faster.
    Dickson Goh *** IN SEARCH FOR AN EASY LIFE ***
    Just started blogging my experience in: http://www.dikiaquarium.blogspot.com/

2 ft planted tank, 2 ft low maintenance planted tank & planted shallow tank left now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ressurected idea from alanyeo99.

cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Very neat idea.
    Just some input. Maybe every body should contribute. But it should all be original DIY or it should be a permitted DIY idea by others so that some people won't get upset using their idea just my 2cents.