Images
    Country
    Singapore

People buying defective arowanas

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've noticed for a long time that every saturday under aquarium classified section there are advertisements that says - Urgently need arowanas, any grade, size or defects for cash.

I just wanna highlight my views that after reading such adds, if i want to buy arowanas, i'd be VERY selective of who and which farm i buy my arows from cos from the adds, i'd assume that the person buying would buy it with the intention of breeding it. He'll probably just throw everything into a pond - the good, the bad and the defective ones and wait for them to breed and harvest. If you have the bad and defective parents, the gene of the offsprings would definately be compromised.

I'm wondering if any of the bros here get their arows from reputable farms or lfses that get their arows from reputable farms or you don't bother?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    most people who buy defective fish may not be using them for breeding. Instead they are for research.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've never such ads before. Hmmm...maybe i should take a look at it during this coming sat ad.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    research?! hmm...will read up the papers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think it depends on what "defect" the fish have.

for instance, if it was fin damage or even "droopy" eyes (caused by no substrate and reflective bottom. this causes the fish to always check its 6 o'clock.) these are not genetic defects.
    hence, there will be no transfer of defective genes to the next generation of fish.
    since they are running a business and not going for show champions it makes sense for them to use such fishes for breeding.

however, for genetic defects (like crooked spines or malformed gills) i am in agreement to be wary of the breeder.
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius
    I've noticed for a long time that every saturday under aquarium classified section there are advertisements that says - Urgently need arowanas, any grade, size or defects for cash.

I just wanna highlight my views that after reading such adds, if i want to buy arowanas, i'd be VERY selective of who and which farm i buy my arows from cos from the adds, i'd assume that the person buying would buy it with the intention of breeding it. He'll probably just throw everything into a pond - the good, the bad and the defective ones and wait for them to breed and harvest. If you have the bad and defective parents, the gene of the offsprings would definately be compromised.

I'm wondering if any of the bros here get their arows from reputable farms or lfses that get their arows from reputable farms or you don't bother?
    Hiya,

I believe they are pple who are willingly to breed them if the defects are not majoring in parts where it might harm the offspring.

But of coz, i also believe that most deflects are also prized, because of the uniqueness,freak looking and ability to survive. This is not just isolated in fishes but also in humane and other animals. In the circus (seen the movie BIG FISH?), where freaks or freaks alike thrive because they are different, pple appreciate stuff more when it goes out of the "norm"(maybe out of pity), and in time it gives character and appeals more to some pple.

just my 2 cents, no intention to flame/offend.