Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Recommendation for a Note Book

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I’m thinking of buying a notebook to replace my current desk top. Looking for something good enough for me to surf net, download pics from digital camera and the basic stuff. Looking at something less than $2K.

I have done some digging myself. Currently looking at Fujitsu, Toshiba or Acer but meanwhile any recommendation on certain brands/models will be most welcome. Thank you.

PS: I’m not a note book user before.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fijitsu (very expensive for some reason I do not know)/Toshiba offers the most reliability out of all that you have mentioned other than IBM (expensive). But under 2k doesn't get you any of those good ones though. Most skim on the graphics card area once the price tag goes down....mostly using integrated graphic cards which is slow. Dell is about the only possible route to cost effectiveness and possible seperate graphic cards but is heavy and not as reliable as the big branded ones.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Anttz, sorry about that back to the topic. Like Pete said, the budget bracket is a little off. I say up it by another $300 and you'll get what you want. The $2000 bracket usually runs on integrated graphics which really sucks. Not sure here, I think Fujitsu is EX because made in Japan. Acer recently launched a model using 'dual core processor' great for graphics intensive applications for about $2500. Personally I feel is the best value for money in this group. If you really want Fujitsu, let me know the model. I can get a good rate for you.( reseller's rate )
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Forget IBM if you're the careful sort or do not store important data in your laptop. Mine's a IBM, and frankly I don't really need all the security and safety features. It also uses up processing power. However, it's sturdy and dependable., not flimsy.

Get Acer, or can consider Benq too. Just imho.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter / Michael / Terence,

Is separate graphics card crucial for my usage (surf net, download pic fr dc, other basic stuff)? If so, may consider throwing in the $$$ from the progress package to up my budget to 2.5k.

I went down to the Fujitsu fair at Funan couple of week back. Interested in the alternative desktop model (sorry don’t have the model number now). It is priced at $1,988. Any good? If I will to consider a separate graphic card, think price for a Fujitsu will not be within my budget. I don’t recall them having models around 2500k.

My workplace is currently using IBM. Desktop & laptop are all IBM. It is very reliable. I didn’t consider IBM because IBM is now Lenovo right? Don’t know how good Lenovo is.

Not familiar with Benq. Come to think of it, I have not come across Benq in the shop when I was digging around earlier. Maybe I didn’t notice it.

I have heard too many negative feedbacks about Dell from friends and colleagues. Therefore, no considering Dell.

Will re-look at the models available from the three mentioned brands. Any models to recommend? But I would said Acer is getting very attractive with all the freebies.

Michael, sorry about what ah?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am using 2 notebooks: Fujitsu S6000 series and Apple iBook

Fujitsu is good but expensive. But I love the Apple iBook and it is really good value.(I only effectively paid $1400 for it after selling away the free iPod nano that came with it.)

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wonder why Fujitsu is so ex? Because it is make in Japan. But is not Toshiba and NEC make in Japan as well? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Apple, not compatible leh. Understand that they are releasing a new model which is Window compatible.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Toshiba is made in Japan as well. I currently own the Tecra model. One downside is that their parts are from Japan as well. Need to wait quite long if some of the parts are unavailable locally. Furthermore, apparently the built-in fan is problematic

Alternatively, can try HP Compaq notebooks. I heard Acer is quite a good buy. Recently also hear of Samsung. Not too sure about them though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by anttz
    Not familiar with Benq. Come to think of it, I have not come across Benq in the shop when I was digging around earlier. Maybe I didn’t notice it.
    BenQ is a spinoff from the Acer group.

December 2001 ACM becomes BENQ Corp.
    June 2000 Acer Peripherals Inc. becomes Acer Communications & Multimedia Inc. (ACM)

From their press release:
    Specifically, Acer will continue to provide the global marketplace with Acer-brand IT products, including desktop PCs (sub-brand: Acer Veriton), home PCs (sub-brand: Acer Aspire), mobile PCs (sub-brand: Acer TravelMate), servers (sub-brand: Acer Altos), and Internet appliances. The core focus of Benq's offering, on the other hand, will be in digital life devices including mobile phones, networking, LCD and CRT monitors, digital projectors, plasma displays, optical storage and imaging products.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Does taht mean taht if we get BenQ then we wont be able to get worldwide service from Acer?? i mean since everywhere else is still labeled as Acer.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome
    Does taht mean taht if we get BenQ then we wont be able to get worldwide service from Acer?? i mean since everywhere else is still labeled as Acer.
    No idea how this works out, but from what I have read, they are distinct separate brands. So being distinct, the service may be different as well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From what i know, Fujitsu laptops are the elite and the costliest due to several reasons:
    1) their OS is stable
    2) Yes, made in japan
    3)Their parts are top end and are very long lasting
    4)Their laptop designs are very professional and classy

Acer laptops im not sure about their realiabilty as imo they crash easily.
    So i guess Toshiba is the best bet. Which is what im using. But if i had the cash, i would get Futjisu anytime!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Anttz, I am sorry because I was laughing at some comments, Ranmasatome made earlier. In regards to your question, Futjitsu is costly because besides made in japan, QC also in japan or something like that. I propose a better graphics card because everything is about multi-media now. Some games won't even run if your graphics are not up to mark! and the price has more or less stabilised now. When have your ever heard dual core processor and fourth generation graphics card combo at $2500? It would have cost you $5000 about a year ago. Photo is in digital format, even music, I say go for it. That Acer model will at least last you for the next 2 years before the 'next 'big thing' takes over.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm using the Fujtsu 6240B6, so far no complain. Weight wise about 1.65kg, just nice to be lugging it to and back from work
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcc86
    From what i know, Fujitsu laptops are the elite and the costliest due to several reasons:
    1) their OS is stable
    2) Yes, made in japan
    3)Their parts are top end and are very long lasting
    4)Their laptop designs are very professional and classy

Acer laptops im not sure about their realiabilty as imo they crash easily.
    So i guess Toshiba is the best bet. Which is what im using. But if i had the cash, i would get Futjisu anytime!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kemp
    i'm using the Fujtsu 6240B6, so far no complain. Weight wise about 1.65kg, just nice to be lugging it to and back from work
    This is one good looking laptop... Having one for my projects at work... Love the black exterior finishing and the smooth screen...

And like kemp said, it is only 1.7kg... And it is 2GHz with 512mB ram... But think the price will be out of your range... Think is slightly more than 3K...

If your main purpose is merely to surf the net, and downloading of pictures from camera (without doing any post-processing at all), you can go for the Fujitsus or Toshibas small laptops... Computing power is around 1.6GHz... Small and light both on the shoulders and the pockets...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fujitsu is no doubt the best in terms of reliability and looks combined *slurp*

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    i am on a 600Mhz computer with only 4gb space this very minute..
    An old acer computer from about 6yrs ago. only one repair in all taht time.
    think its time for a new one.. but this one works just fine for all the regular stuff...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am using the Fujitsu S6210 for more than 2 years. Still going strong, except for the fan which now sounding like a propeller plane.. I still quite satisfied with it considering the abuse it gone through . Even the battery is still holding good amount of juice for about 2 hrs with Wi-Fi after more than 2 years. I use this computer almost every day for a good number of hours since I am using it at office and at home.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah, thanks for the many info.

Toshiba have got spare part problem ah? How about Fujitsu or Acer?

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco....do?series=S62

What do you guy think about Fujitsu S6240? Should be good enough for my usage.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You should consider Dell as well. Just got a m710 myself recently and paid a total of $2k for the laptop + 3 years complete cover (always extend your waranty as long as possible if you buy a laptop).
    If size is not a problem, theres one double core laptop going for $1.5-1.6 excluding the warranty plans.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast